Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Who the F would ride a fixie without brakes?
track racers?
I used to think it would be a good idea for winter commuting: moar simple and less moving parts. But then I tried it, and it's a death trap. You have to bike real slow to avoid locking up, you can't corner worth shit (caus' the cranks are always moving), and emergency braking is all but impossible. And when I say winter commuting, I mean snow, slush, and ice.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Rode a fixie for a long time, but always had a front brake. You get a surprising amount of control with that set up once you learn how to do it. As compared to a rim brake you get better rear control in the wet. (But not as good as a disc brake.)

It’s one of those self-handicapping things that has it’s own charms, like a single speed mtb, which to me is at least as dumb. But fully brakeless in any busy city is suicidal.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I was riding a fixie on singletrack in snow/ice. It is fun but braking with the cranks/chain only is super hard on the drivetrain, I could not keep the chain tight even with tensioner. Bike drivetrain is not good for bidirectional forces even on a hardtail.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But fully brakeless in any busy city is suicidal.
During my intern year at Harborview (King County, WA county hospital) I admitted a guy to the surgery service from the emergency room. Brakeless fixie + wet hill == headfirst into parked car. Broken mandible and other facial fractures.

I told him to put a brake on. He didn't protest.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I was riding a fixie on singletrack in snow/ice. It is fun but braking with the cranks/chain only is super hard on the drivetrain, I could not keep the chain tight even with tensioner. Bike drivetrain is not good for bidirectional forces even on a hardtail.
A fixie on singletrack seems pretty nuts due to pedal strikes, etc. But anyway, that should not be an issue. Like others my fixie would go a really long time before I even needed to tension the chain. Were you trying to make it work with a narrow-pitch chain and mtb cog/ring rather than a proper BMX/fixie set up?

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
A fixie on singletrack seems pretty nuts due to pedal strikes, etc. But anyway, that should not be an issue. Like others my fixie would go a really long time before I even needed to tension the chain. Were you trying to make it work with a narrow-pitch chain and mtb cog/ring rather than a proper BMX/fixie set up?
Did you ride it on singletrack? Because the two way torque of trail riding is IMHO way harder on the bike than on road.
And yes, I had sliding dropouts, 8spd chain, BMX chainring and a wide SS cog on a shimano freehub, with a pair of tensioners on the frame.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Regenerative braking would be pretty badass, wouldn’t extend you more than a few miles maybe, but when you are using the eBike to ride up big climbs and descend down, that would be nice.
Keeping some heat out of your rear brake and reducing pad wear is a nice advantage. My Sur-ron has adjustable regen braking. When I use it I see longer brake life and have a cooler, better biting brake.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
During my intern year at Harborview (King County, WA county hospital) I admitted a guy to the surgery service from the emergency room. Brakeless fixie + wet hill == headfirst into parked car. Broken mandible and other facial fractures.

I told him to put a brake on. He didn't protest.
what sealed the deal for me was a right hand turn at the bottom of a big hill a couple of blocks from where I live. I was coming down the hill and picking up a decent head of steam. With a "normal" bike, you can pull your inside pedal up and lean the bike. But in fixie mode, I wound up dropping the pedal too much and it hit the road. My rear end bounced up and off the road at a 45° angle (as if I was doing a whip). Only problem is there was a bus making a left turn in the oncoming lane. My rear wheel came within inches of the drivers side view mirror. I somehow rode it out (ninja reflexes ftw!), but I flipped the wheel around to the coaster side that night, and installed a rear brake. I haven't looked back since. Still ride SS in the city year-round.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
mountain bikers: "we want more durable drivetrains"

shimano: "ok, here you go"

also mountain bikers: "iTs ToO hEaVy AnD wOn'T wOrK wItH wHaT i AlReAdY hAvE"
The decision not to go with their new freehub is pure profit. Anyway, the group is not for MTBs but fo eBikes so this discussion is moot anyway. I, for one, never had issues with durability of 10sp Shimano or 11sp SunRace cassettes, and the claim of 300% moar durability sounds outright bullshit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The decision not to go with their new freehub is pure profit
i guarantee you there are more bikes out there with hyperglide freehubs than microspline. the kind of rider these groups are targeted at are the kind that run stuff into the ground and don't upgrade things just because its new, and are way more likely to still be on a bike with an HG freehub.

edit: if anything, it would deter some riders from upgrading to microspline.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Steel cogs, particularly the steel that Shimano has made in the past, has got to wear much much slower than aluminum cogs.

The downside is weight of course, and I doubt any of us will opt for that weight increase.

On a related topic, Shimano 9 speed cassettes (pre aluminum cogs) lasted a very long time for me back in the day. And I'm a fan of their 12speed steel chainring teeth, though I don't have thousands of miles on those (yet).

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
i guarantee you there are more bikes out there with hyperglide freehubs than microspline. the kind of rider these groups are targeted at are the kind that run stuff into the ground and don't upgrade things just because its new, and are way more likely to still be on a bike with an HG freehub.

edit: if anything, it would deter some riders from upgrading to microspline.
i think they might be talking to me with this...

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
welcome to the strange world of tracklocross
I blame winter boredom. :busted:

I stopped doing that because self-preservation. :D Going over logs was ... interesting. And I added front brake too, as decelerating with cranks was fucking the bike up and was generally very "entertaining".

1619730052308.png

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I'm running an xx1 11 speed setup on my xc bike, it is nicer than any of the 12 speed stuff I have ridden, both SRAM and shimano, and that includes high end 12 speed.
I have 4 sets of XX1 11spd, 3 on bikes and 1 waiting for the right Trail frame to come along. Also, XO1 on girlfriend's bike and NX1 on winter bike. All on their original cassettes.

What's right with the industry is they're still making parts for these groups. What's wrong is they haven't improved on it in 7 years.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I blame winter boredom. :busted:

I stopped doing that because self-preservation. :D Going over logs was ... interesting. And I added front brake too, as decelerating with cranks was fucking the bike up and was generally very "entertaining".

View attachment 159672
Come to think of it, I still have my Kona Humuhumu. It's a full rigid SS. I put knobbies on it, and quite enjoy riding it on smooth, flat single track. It's not in fixie mode though. It's perfect for going out with the kids. I'd need a much larger cog in the rear if I was going to ride more trail though, the climbs are brutal with it's current commuter set up.
1619799129832.png

The only issue is it can get hard on the wrists. I've thought of putting a suspension fork on there and switching the gearing, but not sure it's worth the effort. I thought I could sell it and get a modern geo hardtail, which would be double duty for commuter duties too.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I'm legit psyched with my ~$100 Advent 9spd 11-46 setup for my old bikes.

I haven't singlespeeded my rigid in a while, but maybe I'll get back to that now that there are real hills. Singlespeed was ironically terrible where I was living in flattish lowland VA outside DC...constant short, super-steep ups and downs...compared to places where you can use a moderate sitting/standing climbing gear, get to the top, then gravity down for extended periods.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm legit psyched with my ~$100 Advent 9spd 11-46 setup for my old bikes.

I haven't singlespeeded my rigid in a while, but maybe I'll get back to that now that there are real hills. Singlespeed was ironically terrible where I was living in flattish lowland VA outside DC...constant short, super-steep ups and downs...compared to places where you can use a moderate sitting/standing climbing gear, get to the top, then gravity down for extended periods.
My son's new bike came with microshift acolyte. 8 speed and a 12-42 cassette. For a young kids first mtb it's pretty awesome.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Microshift deserves to be called out in this thread for a number of reasons. Their pricing, gearing options, and that I could actually get some of their shifters this week. They're the Shimano for the common man.
On Giant's site, the STP 24 i got was listed with a shimano altus derailler. but it was delivered with microshift. which is actually an improvement, because the microshift is a clutch derailleur, and the altus was not.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Hell yeah dudes with shitty trucks and camper shells are for sure gonna buy 300$ shorts....

Pedal gashes on the shin are for sure one of the ride objectives along with dragging branches around. What would a ride be without that -absolutely gotta throw that into an add.

But seriously who the fuck thought this add was good, oh yeah.... a bunch of douches that sell shit to pretentious roadies

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Finally managed to kill my original x01 11spd cassette. Dont even remember how old, i think at least 5 years. Definitely not sad. I think the wolftooth alu top gear is still good so ill hold on to that. I had a backup to put on the bike, but sure enough, no slipping. Chain about 1/32 stretched.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Finally managed to kill my original x01 11spd cassette. Dont even remember how old, i think at least 5 years. Definitely not sad. I think the wolftooth alu top gear is still good so ill hold on to that. I had a backup to put on the bike, but sure enough, no slipping. Chain about 1/32 stretched.
Don't throw away that 42T in case I want to buy it in a few years :D