Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Actually, the first comment on that story makes much more sense than the story itself.
I don't recall having any issues with enduro bearings in the past. Hmm.
that said, isn't the idea on the right track? Even if this execution turns out to be flawed, we'll have to wait and see, I like the concept.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
My main objection to any Enduro bearings thing is how they rebrand stuff and sell it with an added premium. Most of the time they're rebranding not top quality stuff, but inferior ones. Their bearings are the poster child of this behavior.

I've bought equivalent SKF stuff for a lot less money than what Enduro charges, mostly because finding Enduro bearings outside US/EU is a royal PITA. But after searching and finding the right reference numbers in the SKF catalog, I haven't looked back at Enduro.

As for these Maxhit bearings, they're the SKF MTRX series:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
same here. granted i may not put in the miles as some others but i've got a set of hubs that have been re-laced and used on at least 4 bikes over close to15 years without issue. maybe things have changed since then but my experience with enduro bearings has been great.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
that said, isn't the idea on the right track? Even if this execution turns out to be flawed, we'll have to wait and see, I like the concept.
The first post is spot on. Enduro bearings have always been marginal quality. They've been trying to hype them up in recent years. What kills bearings is ingress of crap, water, dirt, etc. If the balls rust or get a little bit of dirt or the grease washes away, they start grinding out and they are no longer the original spec as far as diameter, slightly less. This is what kills the bearing. This is also why repacking a rough bearing doesn't last long, even if it "seems" smoother after repacking, the damage is already done inside the bearing with the balls and races.

Notice enduro doesn't post the load ratings and other specs like NSK, SKF, F.A.G, etc. do, other than their "ABEC".

If I were running enduros still (I have a couple lying around and have used a few for pivots recently) I typically kill them in a season, or less if it's a BB, since it's so muddy here.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And what pisses me off is the move from easily sourced bearings to proprietary crap. Looking at DUB too. There are more DUB choices now, but overall I don't want some shit mtb bearing designed by some reject aerospace grad, I want the full on industrial stuff where I can choose the quality and spec.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
My main objection to any Enduro bearings thing is how they rebrand stuff and sell it with an added premium. Most of the time they're rebranding not top quality stuff, but inferior ones. Their bearings are the poster child of this behavior.

I've bought equivalent SKF stuff for a lot less money than what Enduro charges, mostly because finding Enduro bearings outside US/EU is a royal PITA. But after searching and finding the right reference numbers in the SKF catalog, I haven't looked back at Enduro.

As for these Maxhit bearings, they're the SKF MTRX series:

Those MTRX bearings are hot trash. I had a Cane Creek bottom bracket with those and the fucker seized solid in like 6 months. CC quietly discontinued it in the meantime, and sent me a regular set of SKF bearings as replacement.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
These MTRX bearings need to turn fast in order to generate enough heat for releasing the lubricant "infused" in the filler material. BB don't turn fast enough to achieve that apparently.

Back to enduro bearings, I never understood why some bike brands mention that they use them as a selling argument :s it's like saying "hey look, we use shitty bearings! Come and buy this bike!" :brows:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
These MTRX bearings need to turn fast in order to generate enough heat for releasing the lubricant "infused" in the filler material. BB don't turn fast enough to achieve that apparently.

Back to enduro bearings, I never understood why some bike brands mention that they use them as a selling argument :s it's like saying "hey look, we use shitty bearings! Come and buy this bike!" :brows:
They are called ENDURO, BRO.

Plus, the same reason why the industry pitched bearings in the first place, people don't know any better.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
You talking about Igus bushings again?
There is no turning back once you tasted that Turner magic! :pilot:

Speaking about that, I like how my Sultan is behaving for a XC ripper. There is no lack of comfort to speak of but I cannot tell if it comes from the "smoothness" of the bushings, the DHX RC4 or the compliance of the frame...?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I get a couple of seasons out of some of the bushings on my Turner, main pivot needs fresh ones again as it's got some play.

The face of them chews up the face of the dwlink, introducing play, I'm on my 3rd link.

They're not perfect.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
105k-135k for an engineering manager? Ha no wonder the industry is struggling with design, that's Sr engineer money, not manager money.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
It's about even with nh there it looks so they really need to be offering more like 135-150 for an engineering manager.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
LMAO all good comments. Golden ain't cheap! No where near good trails in CO is cheap, aKshually.

On a moar serious note, Colorado typically pays LESS than other states for similar work. Because people "want to move here/live here". This was a thing taught at university when I was in undergrad (1998-2003ish).

But still, if your spouse (partner? Trying to get with the times here) was a dentist, you could get that job and still afford to live in Golden :D :D :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
That job description is exactly what I do now, save for the actual engineering req. Hmmm....

I doubt think I've smelled Coors but once or twice in a decade, unless road riding past/ east of the plant.

I can however ride 5-6 good trails right from home.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I have plenty of friends in Golden living comfortably (by our standards) on much less that $60,000 a year. Granted, none have kids, few have college degrees, and their girlfriends also have jobs but this isn't Monaco.
Also, you couldn't pay me to move from Breckenridge to Golden.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
It looks like it snows 2 feet more a year than where I am now but something tells me is all cute fluffy snow and not the wet cement we get in the north east. But what do you think they do on their hour and a half daily bike lunch breaks in the winter? Ride a competitors fat bike? Nordic ski? Just stare out the window longingly?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
It looks like it snows 2 feet more a year than where I am now but something tells me is all cute fluffy snow and not the wet cement we get in the north east. But what do you think they do on their hour and a half daily bike lunch breaks in the winter? Ride a competitors fat bike? Nordic ski? Just stare out the window longingly?
There are plenty of days that the Golden area isn't MTBable, more because of mud than deep snow. There are a lot of days when you'd be riding on packed snow and ice too. Winter is a real thing anywhere in Colorado and skiing or snowboarding are what most riders do for those months. I'm guessing they eat lunch during their lunch break.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have plenty of friends in Golden living comfortably (by our standards) on much less that $60,000 a year. Granted, none have kids, few have college degrees, and their girlfriends also have jobs but this isn't Monaco.
Also, you couldn't pay me to move from Breckenridge to Golden.
It's not a contest, but Golden hardly sucks all things considered. I'd think I'd enjoy living in Breck too, but...$2.4M? Yea, that makes that tricky for me.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
zwift

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
EXT gives two springs with their coil shocks, one I received was was too light of a spring rate to use at all. I emailed and received a response within 24 hours stating I could swap the one I didn't want for another spring rate and they already created an RA# for it. That is great service!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
At least they tell you up front that the salary is totally inadequate to live and thrive in the area instead of telling you after numerous interviews.