Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
you just needed trade team status to enter a WC race. i had to google it to remember the specifics, they added a rule that you still need 20 UCI points to enter a WC even if you are on a trade team.
Ah. Maybe thats why they only want experienced racers? It also sounds like there will only be 2 racers plus Cathro, so it might not even be a registered trade team. They also allude to already talking to some racers and with this application process only being until end of Friday, its probably safe to assume that they already have a good idea of who they are selecting...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ah. Maybe thats why they only want experienced racers? It also sounds like there will only be 2 racers plus Cathro, so it might not even be a registered trade team. They also allude to already talking to some racers and with this application process only being until end of Friday, its probably safe to assume that they already have a good idea of who they are selecting...
in re-reading, it sounds more like they're trying to help racers get to that level (WC), and getting trade team status is one way of assisting with that.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
For all the whinging and carry-on when Outside acquired PB they're probably doing more for upcoming riders and racers than the rest of the bike media combined.

Also loved the FAQs on the press release.

"Is Cathro going to misdirect everyone in his course previews now to give his team the advantage?
Maybe. "

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Rocky Mountain is going to start offering some of their bikes with Cushcore standard. Kinda cool to see CC moving into OEM space.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Make the tyres a little expensive if you have to pay for an insert every time the tread is worn out.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Unless economy of scale kicks in, Maxxis is making a few million (hundreds of thousands?) more tires per year than cushcore is making inserts. Lord knows the material costs have got to be pretty cheap.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just make the tires and inserts non-replaceable on the rims. When you wear out tires, you have to buy new wheels.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Rocky Mountain is going to start offering some of their bikes with Cushcore standard. Kinda cool to see CC moving into OEM space.

The hotine is gonna blow up*. I don't think the masses are ready for the install/removal procedure.

*BuckoW knows what I'm saying. "Hello, Cushy Core, how may we help you?"

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Credit where credit is due - air springs have become far more reliable than anyone predicted.
I agree and while there are some performance hits and the never-ending quest to make it "just like coil", coil is impractical on any large scale as far as getting the right spring rate. Springdex makes a little bit of progress, but hell you can order about 4 springs for the cost of that and at least bracket your proper spring weight pretty well, but then you got 3 extra springs lying around and you better not gain or lose weight. Being able to set up a bike with an air spring for any weight condition is a pretty big advantage. I'll still take the suppleness of coil, but again, it's just not practical in some situations.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I agree and while there are some performance hits and the never-ending quest to make it "just like coil", coil is impractical on any large scale as far as getting the right spring rate. Springdex makes a little bit of progress, but hell you can order about 4 springs for the cost of that and at least bracket your proper spring weight pretty well, but then you got 3 extra springs lying around and you better not gain or lose weight. Being able to set up a bike with an air spring for any weight condition is a pretty big advantage. I'll still take the suppleness of coil, but again, it's just not practical in some situations.
1636395234491.jpeg

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Yeah, I kinda came to this conclusion too. Coil is awesome, but if you need to adjust the spring, Air all the way.

For me, it's not so much about my weight and setting sag, it's about what I want the shock to do. That's where I think the air spring has some fun advantages. Not saying its best for everyone. But for someone with a 1 quiver bike like me (not counting the ebike :D). I appreciate that adjustability, totally cool with it. And right now that's a Fox X2 on my Ripmo.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Unless economy of scale kicks in, Maxxis is making a few million (hundreds of thousands?) more tires per year than cushcore is making inserts. Lord knows the material costs have got to be pretty cheap.
Making the insert part of the tire would make for horrendous rolling resistance.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Making the insert part of the tire would make for horrendous rolling resistance.
*random* - onza once made a dh / freeride tire with a tube built into the carcass (in an attempt to eliminate pinch flatting). unsurprisingly, it didn't work; i ended up flatting them anyway, and had to cut out the underside to install regular tubes (wasn't going to toss near new tires), which made for a hefty setup. needless to say, production on these was short lived.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
i *also* had the HO pedals (back in my xc days) - may have been one of the very few that actually / sorta / kinda liked them? did have to replace the elastomers periodically, but when they were fresh, they worked well, and were a good bit lighter than spuds.

speaking of onza, the OG white porcs ruled. had a nice grippy soft compound (which was unheard of at the time).