Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
This is a solution in search of a problem, imho.
Nope. Boost was a solution to nothing for nothing. 2 f'ing mm different than an existing hub.

I like my stem straight. These stubby things were using now are a lot harder to align than they used to be. I've often wondered myself why there's not a keyway or a line down the back. This idea is a lot more cost effective than a keyway and shouldn't cost a fork manufacturer much at all.

Giant coming out with a tapered steerer (1.5 to 1 1/4") was a fucking waste.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I worked in a shop in Ithaca that had an older blind guy. He was able to build wheels and straighten stems by feel.
It was...eye-opening, to say the least!
Woah which one, and when? I grew up there and worked in a shop for quite a while.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
This is a solution in search of a problem, imho.
I mean I certainly agree that it's not necessary. But it'd be convenient, and it doesn't impact fit or functionality of stuff that doesn't use it, so I'm in favor.

But also yeah, just putting a line up the back of the steerer would work, though it might be a little harder to see.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I honestly have zero trouble with lining up my stem so it’s straight to the naked eye.

The seatpost too.
What about the dude with only one eye and shit depth perception?
What do you have against him?
Huh, huh? Ya that's right ya two eyed zealot,
I got mine jack, sorry about your luck :disgust1:

:D

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Pivot is warrantying my frame, supplying a new one. Had a crack show up near the main pivot that at least 4 other people experienced exactly the same. All in all smooth process. New frame is rear boost, but it’s fair, I’ll just run an adapter for the rear wheel.
shouldn't they also provide you with a fitting hub in that case?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
shouldn't they also provide you with a fitting hub in that case?
That part kind of sucks, but they found another crack on a different part of the bike that appears to be impact and are still covering the entire thing, so I’m not complaining, new front AND a rear triangles.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
That part kind of sucks, but they found another crack on a different part of the bike that appears to be impact and are still covering the entire thing, so I’m not complaining, new front AND a rear triangles.
Yup, a new hub and a re-spoke is a lot cheaper than a new frame.
And a well done to Pivot for not taking the douche road and stepping up with the new frame when they found a possible out.
Congrats.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yup, a new hub and a re-spoke is a lot cheaper than a new frame.
And a well done to Pivot for not taking the douche road and stepping up with the new frame when they found a possible out.
Congrats.
Spacers and re-dish if necessary. It's only 6mm.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Actually, I was trying to turn a Saint shifter in to something a bit less shit the other day, chopped both of the paddles down and ground the alloy lever to within an inch of it's life then gave it a couple of taps to get the bend a bit better and snapped the lever clean off.

I hate Saint shifters but I love the mechs, last bike had an X9 LH shifter with a clutched Saint mech running nine speed, I can't even get the 10spd Saint shifter apart to do some sort of debauchery to it :(

I have heaps of time, might try to make a shifter with less moving bits.........

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
If nothing else, it'll make it easier to deal with inflating the really difficult ones that with a compressor still don't wanna inflate.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This looks interesting... Company claims you can even seat mtb tires with a regular pump this way (but not plus or fat tires).

https://bikerumor.com/2018/11/09/legion-vmax-high-flow-tubeless-valve-stem-seats-road-tires-w-any-floor-pump/
I agree this is one area that can be improved, moving more air is always helpful when seating tubeless. The problem for lizards here is that even if there's a different diameter standard, all one would have to do is re-drill their rim hole, instead of buy an entirely new wheelset. Probably hard to get backing from the lizards in the industry due to this.

Anyway, didn't E13 already kind of do this with their Plasma valves?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I agree this is one area that can be improved, moving more air is always helpful when seating tubeless. The problem for lizards here is that even if there's a different diameter standard, all one would have to do is re-drill their rim hole, instead of buy an entirely new wheelset. Probably hard to get backing from the lizards in the industry due to this.

Anyway, didn't E13 already kind of do this with their Plasma valves?
The valves in the link I posted fit in a standard presta drilled rim. The difference is a different valve type with a larger diameter to allow increaded air flow rate.

The e13 ones use a standard presta core.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
The valves in the link I posted fit in a standard presta drilled rim. The difference is a different valve type with a larger diameter to allow increaded air flow rate.

The e13 ones use a standard presta core.
Well, wouldn't a presta BOOST valve that fit into a schrader hole move even MORE air?

(oh right, that's called a schrader valve)

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Yea that's not at all the answer to the question I asked.
My point is, if anyone grabs the toolbox and fits a Luftkappe, Avalanche cart or IRT to their fork they are da mazztazz of gnurrr. Now if a random guy takes an 8mm bit and enlarges a hole in a rim by 2mm he's a savage? I'm not the one to blame for a thousand idiots thinking a Presta valve is lighter/stronger/moar air retaining than a Schrader one*. They were designed around narrower rims, as the ones found in road bikes. And they should have NEVER crossed over to MTB.

*FYI, not any of those statements is true per se.

Also, SPEED HOLES!!!

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My point is, if anyone grabs the toolbox and fits a Luftkappe, Avalanche cart or IRT to their fork they are da mazztazz of gnurrr. Now if a random guy takes an 8mm bit and enlarges a hole in a rim by 2mm he's a savage? I'm not the one to blame for a thousand idiots thinking a Presta valve is lighter than a Schrader one. They were designed around narrower rims, as the ones found in road bikes. And they should have NEVER crossed over to MTB.
but they did. i can't think of a single production carbon rim that is configured for schrader, and i sure as shit am not about to drill one.