Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
A of people seem to say not to bother with SRAM shifting below XO.

I'm a happy XT and SLX user.
Ehh x01 eagle shifting ain't that great the upshift lever is still pretty mushy and it's really not any different from brand new nx. I'm sure it'll shift decently longer than 6 months like nx though. Still miss the double up shift from xt.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
GX and XT will last about the same in East Coast conditions. Maybe 1500 miles. The Garbaruk and X01 will last longer. The Garbaruk has a thinner 1st gear and will wear faster than the X01. I retired a Garbaruk at 3900 miles for a X01. Since my wife's is still going strong.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
A of people seem to say not to bother with SRAM shifting below XO.

I'm a happy XT and SLX user.
I'm running XTR cassette, XTR chain, XT shifter/Der. It's really good. Not cheap.

You can tell the XTR cassette by the 3 large black rings. Versus XT's 2 black large rings.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Still miss the double up shift from xt.
My thumb tendonitis doesn't miss it. Why did they make it take so much force? The X01 upshifts are like a light single-action trigger, I can even position my shifters so I can do it with my thumb joint without taking my thumb off the bar or pushing. I can shift faster with this than the extra-heavy XT/XTR upshift which is bizarrely heavy IMO.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Ragley and Chain Reaction Cycles-

I had what may or may not be a warranty issue. I contacted Ragley and they directed me within 24hrs to whomever I purchased the frame from- which was CRC. Within 24hrs of that CRC wrote back and told me (very detailed) what they needed. I sent it to them and they wrote back that everything was taken care of.

It's not that easy even when I'm dealing with the local shops.
BOOM! CRC/Ragley have taken 7 days to complete this whole process!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Stick took out a pile of spokes on my rear wheel a few weeks ago. One of the spokes pulled out trashing the rim. These were Ibis carbon wheels that came on a bike I bought used. Despite technically not having to help me as I wasn't the original owner Ibis offered me a crash replacement for a little more than a nice aluminum rim and less than the cheapest Light Bikes rim and actually had shit in stock.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm running XTR cassette, XTR chain, XT shifter/Der. It's really good. Not cheap.

You can tell the XTR cassette by the 3 large black rings. Versus XT's 2 black large rings.

I do not like SRAM eagle drivetrains even at XO level, but I swapped out a rear wheel with an XTR cassette onto a GX drivetrain and it works great. I prefer the multiple upshifts of Shimano but that just takes a few minutes to get used to rapid clicking.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Same payout for men and women's is a pretty big deal right? Weren't we all complaining about that last year?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Same payout for men and women's is a pretty big deal right? Weren't we all complaining about that last year?
Are male and female fields equally strong? Does the payout scheme is the same (how many places deep and how much for each)?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

$15,000 pro purse for the Men and Women.
Not NFL money but for a 1 day DH race, pretty impressive.

Would be great to see the US Open return to its glory days of the early/mid 2000's with some top level international talent showing up. Those were the days.
15k should bring a stacked field
scheduling is inherently difficult. ideally if they could have gotten it around snowshoe or MSA there would be a lot of the big teams. as it stands, it is after WC finals, so its still possible some big names will show.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
is first place not first place?
Sure, but is payout e.g. 10 deep in each category with equal money or is it just equal price money for the first place and the second place already gets nothing anymore for the females?

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
scheduling is inherently difficult. ideally if they could have gotten it around snowshoe or MSA there would be a lot of the big teams. as it stands, it is after WC finals, so its still possible some big names will show.
Yeah, should have made it a week before Snowshoe. Wonder how they use to draw so many top guys when it was at Diablo Memorial day weekend?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
No, we weren't last time I looked there was under 10 females in a UCI race. Not sure it should be split evenly. It should be based on the number of entrants.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
No, we weren't last time I looked there was under 10 females in a UCI race. Not sure it should be split evenly. It should be based on the number of entrants.
Chicken, Egg.

I think we can all agree that $15k is not sufficient money any way you slice it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sounds like plenty for one weekend culminating in racing against 9 other folk..
Especially if you already get a decent wage and expenses for riding a bike.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Which is of almost no relevance
Road Pro Tour riders have an entirely different job. in an entirely different sport. A team sport.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Which is of almost no relevance
Road Pro Tour riders have an entirely different job. in an entirely different sport. A team sport.

Correct, but it isn't just the highest tier road riders that make a decent living. That is 19 teams with about 28 riders each.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've followed road racing since I was a kid. I'm well aware how team structure works.
Those riders all actually work for their wage.

some guy who's managed a top 40 in a mountainbike race somewhere (vague) doesn't

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I've followed road racing since I was a kid. I'm well aware how team structure works.
Those riders all actually work for their wage.

some guy who's managed a top 40 in a mountainbike race somewhere (vague) doesn't
This. Having friends from both disciplines I can only agree. The training and racing the roadie friends do or did is in no way comparable to the chilled and relaxed kind of life all three dh wc pro racers I personally know enjoy. As is their salary.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I haven't watched a Tour since Lemond in 89 I believe. That was the last true SOLO Tour win. That's the year after being shot correct when his team abandoned him? I would just get US Tobacco to throw $4-5Million at an MTB series and hand out legit purses.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
People bitching about prize money purses in MTB vs Road is like when someone decides to skip doing a trade job and become a yoga instructor and then complaining they can't afford shit.

Similarly, I've got mates that moved to Whistler complaining that the rent is too high and the pay is too low. *cue tiny violin*

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I haven't watched a Tour since Lemond in 89 I believe. That was the last true SOLO Tour win. That's the year after being shot correct when his team abandoned him? I would just get US Tobacco to throw $4-5Million at an MTB series and hand out legit purses.
Maybe once we have 50 state legal pot we'll see that. I think there's better customer acquisition potential with that type is smoke in dhmtb.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
People bitching about prize money purses in MTB vs Road is like when someone decides to skip doing a trade job and become a yoga instructor and then complaining they can't afford shit.

Similarly, I've got mates that moved to Whistler complaining that the rent is too high and the pay is too low. *cue tiny violin*
Riding sucks where I live but I make good money.

:nopity: