Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Got to laugh at people shitting on Outside, in the context of them sponsoring a 4 multi discipline person WC team.
Do they know how much it costs to get that kind of thing going?

I don’t like paywalls (and won’t be paying for access to PB), but if people want this kind of thing from a media company someone has to pay for it. It’s not like pink bike t shirt sales alone are going to cover a full team

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

edit: this doesn't work on BetaMTB, but a simple hit of F9 allows me to read the paywalled articles. :busted:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've spent 16 years working at companies where ad revenue makes up a significant portion of the overall revenue model. Assuming a company is creating meaningfully useful and differentiated content/products I'd gladly opt for a paywall, as it removes the need to satisfy dual masters (users and advertisers) from those creating the content/products, resulting in better content/products for me.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
THEY'RE DOING IT BECAUSE THEY CARE!!!!!!

:rofl:
Oh fuck no. Fielding the team is an effort to create content, attract new visitors, solidify existing users. Plain to see.
Doesn’t change that it’s expensive to do it and that money has to come from somewhere.

Dirt had a legendary magazine and a stacked team at one point. Was that because they loved the reader and the sport? Or because having a team was good exposure and helped sales? Same story.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dirt was infinitely better than current pinkbike (and sure as shit Outside magazine) because it was a hell of a lot more obvious passion for the sport.

Funny how that kind of thing is something that can actually be detected in thecontent™

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I think I found an issue with your model
Not saying Outside meets the bar, but not opposed to that direction if they put in the work to do it. For example, at one point folks at PB we're talking about building a quant-based testing facility. If done well that might be the kind of thing worth paying for.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
if they put in the work to do it.
Let's check in with my manbro sundog

It seems to Sundog that this new habit of bikers announcing, “Three of us!” is a shorthand acknowledgement that, No, we’re not going to follow official etiquette and get off our goddamn bikes, but we want to appear helpful even as we flaunt the rules. And it does make it marginally easier on the pedestrian to simply step off the trail once instead of three times for each hazard who pedals past.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
dirt was infinitely better than current pinkbike (and sure as shit Outside magazine) because it was a hell of a lot more obvious passion for the sport.

Funny how that kind of thing is something that can actually be detected in thecontent™
Do you not feel that the testers and presenters (journalists seems a stretch) at Pinkbike care about the sport? I think the unfortunate thing is most of them are just as passionate as anyone who worked at Dirt, they’re just massive dweebs.

Not even sure what I’m defending here. I’d love to see Dirt and Littermag going again. Shredder zine seems to be doing a good job of representing the more exciting park of bike culture. Pinkbike original content is pretty harrowing stuff, but they do seem to care about riding bikes and giving a bigger platform to guys like Cathro gets my respect. Do I wish the rest of their stuff was less bottom of the barrel? Would it be nice if they stopped directly ripping ideas from other sites? Obviously. Do I begrudge then making money? Not at all.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Let's check in with my manbro sundog

It seems to Sundog that this new habit of bikers announcing, “Three of us!” is a shorthand acknowledgement that, No, we’re not going to follow official etiquette and get off our goddamn bikes, but we want to appear helpful even as we flaunt the rules. And it does make it marginally easier on the pedestrian to simply step off the trail once instead of three times for each hazard who pedals past.

i, for one, think it's cute that you chose "sundog" for your nom de plume. would they not let you use "sundawg"?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do you not feel that the testers and presenters (journalists seems a stretch) at Pinkbike care about the sport? I think the unfortunate thing is most of them are just as passionate as anyone who worked at Dirt, they’re just massive dweebs.

Not even sure what I’m defending here. I’d love to see Dirt and Littermag going again. Shredder zine seems to be doing a good job of representing the more exciting park of bike culture. Pinkbike original content is pretty harrowing stuff, but they do seem to care about riding bikes and giving a bigger platform to guys like Cathro gets my respect. Do I wish the rest of their stuff was less bottom of the barrel? Would it be nice if they stopped directly ripping ideas from other sites? Obviously. Do I begrudge then making money? Not at all.
Speaking of, did you see levy having a shit fit bc pb commenters are voicing their displeasure about outside and the beta links?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Speaking of, did you see levy having a shit fit bc pb commenters are voicing their displeasure about outside and the beta links?

yeah... sucks for him, that must be frustrating to be on that end of the stick.

But if what he says is true, he makes a good point. They haven't really changed anything from a readers perspective, other than linking some stuff from other sites..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Truth be told, I'd met too many of the current crop of pinkbike contributors as of a few years ago, and no, they're not. They absolutely drip with self-importance, individual brand-building and a burning drive to be the cool content peeps, perpetually stuck in an endless loop of self promotion and image maintenance. I'm not even sure they're human any more. More like walking talking marketing algorithms.

It's certainly not unique to pinkbike but that doesn't mean it's acceptable just because they pay ben cathro who is a likeable guy on camera. In many ways they are a big part of what a lot people see as exactly what's wrong with mountainbiking.

The fact that you mentioned littermag shows that you already know exactly what I'm talking about ;)

There's more merit and long-term support from an existing community with authenticity. The problem is authenticity is viewed as limited growth potential, not a long-term much more sustainable model. They'll implode or become irrelevant. Just like all their like-minded predecessors.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yeah... sucks for him, that must be frustrating to be on that end of the stick.

But if what he says is true, he makes a good point. They haven't really changed anything from a readers perspective, other than linking some stuff from other sites..
That's all they've changed *so far*.

But for him to act surprised that they're getting pushback from their user base? Cut me a fucking break.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That's all they've changed *so far*.

But for him to act surprised that they're getting pushback from their user base? Cut me a fucking break.
I doubt he's surprised. It sounds like he just wants the loony tunes to chill out a bit and take in that, yeah, not much has actually changed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Truth be told, I'd met too many of the current crop of pinkbike contributors as of a few years ago, and no, they're not. They absolutely drip with self-importance, individual brand-building and a burning drive to be the cool content peeps, perpetually stuck in an endless loop of self promotion and image maintenance. I'm not even sure they're human any more. More like walking talking marketing algorithms.

It's certainly not unique to pinkbike but that doesn't mean it's acceptable just because they pay ben cathro who is a likeable guy on camera. In many ways they are a big part of what a lot people see as exactly what's wrong with mountainbiking.

The fact that you mentioned littermag shows that you already know exactly what I'm talking about ;)

There's more merit and long-term support from an existing community with authenticity. The problem is authenticity is viewed as limited growth potential, not a long-term much more sustainable model. They'll implode or become irrelevant. Just like all their like-minded predecessors.
Wait until amazon buys outside