Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I got the AXS because it's really durable and self protecting. The new shimano derailleur is made of cheese. The only Sram available were GX or AXS. GX mechanical has to much play. Spare battery will fit in the pocket or bag if concerned. Shifting with large jumps in the cassette is pretty slow on mechanical drivetrains. Not with electric.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
For you AXS folks: is there a possibility to map an 11 speed system onto it?
The advantage I see in a wireless dropper is that I would be able to move it between bikes, so in fact saving money and/or not having to re-route cables.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
For you AXS folks: is there a possibility to map an 11 speed system onto it?
The advantage I see in a wireless dropper is that I would be able to move it between bikes, so in fact saving money and/or not having to re-route cables.
It's preprogrammed. No hacks out yet.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I use an iPhone (with wireless earbuds), iPad (with wireless pencil), laptop (with wireless keyboard, mouse, and headset), and Wahoo bike computer which all require charging and I never have them die because I know how to check the battery level when I finish using them and charge as needed.
wireless.jpg

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Hey, care to elaborate?
There's an 11 speed XTR cassette based on the 12 speed micro cassette without the largest cog. So the spacing will work with AXS and you can turn in the low limit screw to make it work. The issue is you don't save much weight and the cage is just as long. But if you only want 11 gears it's possible.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Do AXS RDs still have a spring that they work against when shifting up?
No visible spring. And more thinking a regular mec cage bolts on if you damage it. So a shorter cage 11 speed cage might work. But the jockey is offset like most 12 speeds.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
while hayes may not necessarily be considered a "major player" these days, the consensus on the a4 is that its one of the better brakes on the market, and uses dot 5.1
Thats a shame, I didn't notice that. I actually squeezed some the other day, they felt nice and solid. Hefty though..

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i'll take a few extra grams over a wandering bite point
I don't even look at weights of parts, just use what works.

Mineral oil is so much easier and better to use though. The dot fluid always ruins the tubes and rubber on my bleed kits (Sram ones, even) and heaven forbid some of it leaks on the work bench.

And its just more work if you have both fluids in use on bikes - have to scrub and clean all the bleed stuff before moving to a different bike. If all the bikes in my shed only used mineral oil it'd be much easier, just wipe down all the equipment and put it away in the box.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I don't even look at weights of parts, just use what works.

Mineral oil is so much easier and better to use though. The dot fluid always ruins the tubes and rubber on my bleed kits (Sram ones, even) and heaven forbid some of it leaks on the work bench.

And its just more work if you have both fluids in use on bikes - have to scrub and clean all the bleed stuff before moving to a different bike. If all the bikes in my shed only used mineral oil it'd be much easier, just wipe down all the equipment and put it away in the box.
Luckily bicycle engineers are smarter than anyone else and therefore have found the perfect fluid for filling hydraulic brakes. I just cannot understand why those slacker automotive engineers have not seen the light. :rofl: ;)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Luckily bicycle engineers are smarter than anyone else and therefore have found the perfect fluid for filling hydraulic brakes. I just cannot understand why those slacker automotive engineers have not seen the light. :rofl: ;)
12F44F87-7296-4884-ACC4-ABD948F83611.jpeg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/db-db8-a1

DESCRIPTION
DB8 is our simple, robust, and powerful brake for riders who prefer to set and forget. The low maintenance Mineral Oil system uses proven lever technologies and features easy adjustment access and superior ergonomic comfort. Code-like power is no surprise, as DB8 utilizes similar caliper architecture and existing brake pads.

MSRP
$137

MODEL ID
DB-DB8-A1

FEATURES
New lever optimized for tool access.
Code-like power.
Uses existing Code pads.
Designed for use with Maxima Mineral Oil only.
Designed for use with SRAM Mineral Oil Bleed Kit only.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I like that DOT fluid can clean up with water. The effects on metal/paint have been wildly over-stated in the past, as if a little dripping will strip your frame or something. Heck, the parts they are using this in are anodized themselves and that's not coming off. The most important part though is how consistent they are through temperature, such as cold and warm. I ride from about -30 to 95 (-34 to 35C) and they simply work consistently, vs. mineral oil that goes super slow around single digit F. In many cases they still "work", but the effective lever travel is zero with no modulation, only off/on and control is significantly compromised. Secondary to that is ability to work with heat, such as on 50% grades that I tend to do, but I'm not sure this is just about the fluid, it seems to be about the rotors and other parts too.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
horses for courses??? different use, different requirements?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
horses for courses??? different use, different requirements?
Good explanation of why my car brakes worked on the way to the trailhead, but my bicycle brakes were shit. Granted, not everyone rides in the cold, but the wandering bite point seems like a bigger problem in just a little chillier weather when you are on steeps, something with the replenishment orifice size in the shimano brakes and how quickly that is overwhelmed by the mineral oil. I remember distinctly the issue at Darrington down those trails in the Fall, one of the last times I was on those brakes in any normal-ish conditions.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What’s the boiling point of the two?
There’s more than just “dry” boiling point, wet boiling point is important because DOT can absorb water and not leave water in its separate form. Water will boil at 100C and turn into gas. That’s what we don’t want. Water makes its way into all systems over time, so the longer you run the fluid, the more stable DOT is and the more and more mineral gets affected by water in the system. I’ve had mineral oil brakes feeling like crap under tons of heat. I thought they were overheating due to the 203 rotors not being enough, but the brakes were baking in all ways possible. For car racing, you want the best high temp fluid you can get. They’re are some other problems, as not all your other parts like brake lines, seals, etc. can deal with that heat, even though the fluid can handle it. Some people use titanium shims for the pads to provide a little more insulation.