Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Cracked one of my Tenet Occult pedals this weekend. Pedals were almost 2 years old. Emailed them yesterday, new pair of updated pedals on the way to me at no cost. Would bang again.
Got the new set in 3 days. Great service. I’m going to order another pair for my trail bike. I’ve been running Deftraps, which are nice especially for the price, but not nearly as nice as the Occults.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Ball joint hardware for the rear shock is a neat idea!
No idea about the execution / quality / performance of this one as it is pretty new.

Maybe @Flo33 or @buckoW have seen it and can comment?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
No idea about the execution / quality / performance of this one as it is pretty new.

No, haven't seen it before. I'm not sure how it works. Did you find any further information or pics how the ball joint actually works? The website does not tell that much about it.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
No, haven't seen it before. I'm not sure how it works. Did you find any further information or pics how the ball joint actually works? The website does not tell that much about it.
I cannot find much info but I check the Igus website and guess that it could be similar to the design below but with a split housing and the Igus material on the outside
1655118781447.png

kind of like this but different, you know! :nerd:
1655118991608.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

That is cool, might get them for my future digressive hipster noodle frame.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I would be suspicious of the durability for sure. Lots of load through a thin contact area.
That is why the only spherical bearings that have worked thus far are the steel ones like POOOOSH uses.

But there are many frames that could use one, save the shock from slowly being eaten.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
DT Swiss also used steel ones IIRC.
indeed, one with a steel ball and a plastic outer cage
1655128153263.png

Öhlins uses one from SKF and maybe push too: GE 8 C - Radial spherical plain bearings | SKF
this one has the outer race made of steel

all the above mentioned bearings require a 16mm in diameter eyelet which is one millimeter bigger than most of the eyelets...:cray:

While looking around on the web I found this from Dougal (Shockcraft in NZ)
16mm and 14.7 eyelets. Spherical bearing did not work. | Mountain Bike Reviews Forum (mtbr.com)
where he writes that the need for spherical bearings at the ends of shocks is not really motivated since the IGUS is soft enough... I don't know what to think of it as he sometimes has good advice but sometimes also really shitty ones

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
A reference to Push above reminded me of some good news. Your collective Monkey minds will be blown by a new Push product coming late summer. Of course I'm told it will be awesome but we'll let the results do the talking. There will be plenty to discuss. I've already said too much (TM).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A reference to Push above reminded me of some good news. Your collective Monkey minds will be blown by a new Push product coming late summer. Of course I'm told it will be awesome but we'll let the results do the talking. There will be plenty to discuss. I've already said too much (TM).
"oh, you mean THAT elephant"

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
they are gonna offer a tuning cartridge for a rux?

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Hopefully it will not be another $1200 $hock and something that can be more universally utilized.
I have been playing with the HC97 lately and found a setting that is amaze ballz™ in the rox.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
they are gonna offer a tuning cartridge for a rux?
No, after months of R&D they found no improvements could be made to the Rux. Its only weakness is lack of production. Seriously, over the winter I tried to buy a few for friends' Surrons but couldn't find any even advertised.

*Maybe Push bought the blueprints to the Rux and is rebooting it. Really though, some boutique suspension company should do that. Suntour already makes other brand's forks. I bet they'd sell Rux chassis pretty cheap by the container load to Push, EXT, MRP, ect. Put in a fancy damper you make & choice of coil or air, sell for no more than RS & Fox.......collect $$$. So much ea$ier than designing your own traditional style chassis, or trying to convince the public your unique chassis is better and worth the extra money.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
It'll be interesting to see where PUSH goes with the lowers. I am not aware of any feasible domestic source for casting mag or alloy lowers. All themz come from Asia. Everything else for a fork is pretty straight forward except for navigating air spring patent stuff.

If I was Darren; it'd be a forged/machined alloy crown, stanchions bonded in (no creaky creaky), GG style thermoset carbon lowers, and coil or triple chamber air option for each length. :rockout:

And please put some effort into bushing/stanchion fit, unlike the other big boys.

Charge $2500 for it and the Levo SL crowd will suck them down like dispensary gummies!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
GG style thermoset carbon lowers
Has merit. Traditionally this is the biggest challenge and the small companies of the 90s and even Avalanche did USD forks out of the difficulty of doing lowers. But I have to think that modern CF manufacturing can make something that would work.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
They don't even have to be thermoplastic like gg. You could do forged cf with traditional resin for the lower. But otherwise do the wheel and brake attachment like a frame. Design the seal head seat into the top bushing and you can avoid all machining of carbon.

Also hope that they or someone copies the butter cup idea but mounts it in the piston to avoid patent issues.

What's nice is now the two novel concepts I discussed publicly here on 6/18/2022 now have their patent timer started before no one can patent them. So future patent lawyer, you're welcome.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
After I broke the seatstay on my 2016 Transition carbon Patrol, I noticed another crack on the chainstay. After calling Transition, it looks like they still have the 2016 (& 2017) stays in stock. This is my second time going to them for replacement parts, and I'm pretty stoked that they still have parts available for stuff that is over 6 years old, with old standards (142 rear end, and 216x63 shock). And that they are relatively easy to deal with.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
After I broke the seatstay on my 2016 Transition carbon Patrol, I noticed another crack on the chainstay. After calling Transition, it looks like they still have the 2016 (& 2017) stays in stock. This is my second time going to them for replacement parts, and I'm pretty stoked that they still have parts available for stuff that is over 6 years old, with old standards (142 rear end, and 216x63 shock). And that they are relatively easy to deal with.
Quoting myself to provide an update. I'm even more impressed this afternoon than I was this morning. They will be replacing my chainstays under warranty since I had already purchased a replacement set , and throwing in a few goodies for my troubles. Not only am I impressed they still carry parts for 6 year old bikes and obsolete 'standards', but that they are so cool to deal with is awesome.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Quoting myself to provide an update. I'm even more impressed this afternoon than I was this morning. They will be replacing my chainstays under warranty since I had already purchased a replacement set , and throwing in a few goodies for my troubles. Not only am I impressed they still carry parts for 6 year old bikes and obsolete 'standards', but that they are so cool to deal with is awesome.
Sweet. They were similar when my Scout cracked - I emailed them and had a new front triangle on the way the same day, no questions pretty much.

Maybe next year you can crack it again and get that new frame. :busted:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Fox did their 40 lowers in the USA at some point in time. I know this because I spoke to the vendor that was displaying a raw 40 lowers along with a bunch of other random stuff at a Design2Parts show in MA some ~12 years ago and asked if the tooling for the part on display was domestic. No idea as to the story as to how the tooling was deployed for production or development, or if the tooling was exported, or how old the lowers on display were. I think the tooling was done in Michigan if my memory is correct.

#lamestory

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Speed and strength are still the issues with 3d prints. You could make one or two lowers in the proper printer per day. But they're still weaker per gram than cast and there's not really much I could think geometry wise you could gain in the print besides making the arch hollow.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fox did their 40 lowers in the USA at some point in time. I know this because I spoke to the vendor that was displaying a raw 40 lowers along with a bunch of other random stuff at a Design2Parts show in MA some ~12 years ago and asked if the tooling for the part on display was domestic. No idea as to the story as to how the tooling was deployed for production or development, or if the tooling was exported, or how old the lowers on display were. I think the tooling was done in Michigan if my memory is correct.

#lamestory
There was a bad industrial accident with fox castings according to my Fox insider friend (wow, that sounds strange).

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Speed and strength are still the issues with 3d prints. You could make one or two lowers in the proper printer per day. But they're still weaker per gram than cast and there's not really much I could think geometry wise you could gain in the print besides making the arch hollow.
But there's got to be a way to leverage 3d printing to (rapidly) make CF molds or something....