Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'd pay $49.99 US for that plastic pedal!

Opinions?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Opinions?

Why are the ends of the pins threaded? I can't imagine that improves grip in any way, it just adds cost.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Why are the ends of the pins threaded? I can't imagine that improves grip in any way, it just adds cost.
I notice better grip on a given pair of pedals using grub screws vs. pins, but it's a fair point why they didn't just use grub screws instead of special pin/grub hybrids.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hadley giving you a piece of paper with hub flange specs on it so you don't have to look them up online wondering if some random forum dude called something witty like chodechortler69 has measured his hub correctly.
Also, there was no plastic packaging, just a box, a hub and an A4 piece of paper, nice!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Spank putting "timing marks" on their stems, bars and even grips. You can now lign up your bar even when it's in the stand. Or, if you want to roll it forward/backward, you have a reference. I know companies do it on bars, but to see it on the stem is cool.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
That was sick. I was there way back when Timo attempted a similar moon launch (but ejected to the horror of the crowd); so rad to see this stuck. Old school me would have awarded this run the win (over the oppo spinny tech stuff). Alas

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Not really Industry per se, but working at remote sites these days means plenty of time in the car listening to random podcasts and the Downtime podcast just keeps getting more dialled.

The current one with Martin Whitley is hectic good - full of tidbits about UCI rules, the behind the scenes stuff, working with Minaar and Gwin and the Honda boys.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That does sound worth a listen. I commute an hour each way but it's by bike so can't really give enough attention to listening to whole podcast. That's probably the only downside for me to using a bike over driving.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
"But as I pushed the limits of a gravel bike further and further, I realized there was no tire combination, no geometry, no drop bar shape that would create the control one gets on a mountain bike with flat bar."
1660905122786.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
"But as I pushed the limits of a gravel bike further and further, I realized there was no tire combination, no geometry, no drop bar shape that would create the control one gets on a mountain bike with flat bar."
View attachment 180753
Flat mount rear brake caliper on a MTB.

Just say No.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Not really Industry per se, but working at remote sites these days means plenty of time in the car listening to random podcasts and the Downtime podcast just keeps getting more dialled.

The current one with Martin Whitley is hectic good - full of tidbits about UCI rules, the behind the scenes stuff, working with Minaar and Gwin and the Honda boys.
Part 2 with Martin Whiteley is out now. It's entitled Red Bull, Discovery and the Future. Both episodes are awesome, two of the best podcasts that I've listened to. If you listen to @HAB's stuff on Blister's Bikes and Big Ideas the episodes with Ed Masters and the founder of EXT are well worth a listen.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Quick shout out to Commencal USA. My newish TR had some play in the rear. Sounds bad, now that I say that; Play in the rear? Possible XXX Movie? :) I did all I could to figure out where the play came from. Wheel, linkage bolts, bearings, etc. So I took it to them, assuming it would be there for weeks. 15min later the dude figured it out and I could take her home without any worry. Thanks Commie's! That's how you do it! :)

(was a spacer in one of the seat stay linkage that was installed the wrong way)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Quick shout out to Commencal USA. My newish TR had some play in the rear. Sounds bad, now that I say that; Play in the rear? Possible XXX Movie? :) I did all I could to figure out where the play came from. Wheel, linkage bolts, bearings, etc. So I took it to them, assuming it would be there for weeks. 15min later the dude figured it out and I could take her home without any worry. Thanks Commie's! That's how you do it! :)

(was a spacer in one of the seat stay linkage that was installed the wrong way)
Good to know. I have some play in my Supreme I need to check on again.

Did you just call them and arrange to bring it by?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Good to know. I have some play in my Supreme I need to check on again.

Did you just call them and arrange to bring it by?
I emailed them at first. They replied pretty quickly with suggestions. Still couldn't figure it out. I ended up just driving there Monday around noon ish after riding, no appointment or anything, and they were happy to take it in and look at it.

I did say that Kyle Strait offered to fix it for me, but then they said he wasn't there that day :D

Good set of dudes there for sure!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
l'il bikes, Strong wheels and Proper fuckin tyre pressures
what's not to like?
Fuck the industry ;)

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Hmmmm, 120mm Durolux, I emailed them to ask if you could run the new fork at 120mm and they said no, I'm obviously not important enough.
They don't have 120 mm airshafts for the new EQ models? Prior to that you just needed travel spacers. See what Andrew Major over at NSMB is doing. He runs those forks at shorter travel than stock and has review and teardown articles.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
They don't have 120 mm airshafts for the new EQ models? Prior to that you just needed travel spacers. See what Andrew Major over at NSMB is doing. He runs those forks at shorter travel than stock and has review and teardown articles.
Nah pretty sure they said that the minimum was 150mm, I'm happy with the Mezzer, don't think I'd go back to a Suntour now. Durolux was cheap, tall, had easy travel adjust and a 20mm axle which was what I wanted at the time, now they don't have 20mm axles or easy travel adjustment and they have the same damper which leaked pretty quickly in mine, oh and the bushings were pretty sloppy too, still better than a Z1 though, hahaha!