Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Even entry level stuff is fantastic now
I'm commuting on a £34 tiny little 120g 1500lm stand alone bar mounted MOON Vortex Pro light which gives a 2hr runtime on full. for that price it even came with a remote and helmet mount. I could definitely nightride off road with it.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I think it would make sense for bike light companies to get on board with flashlight "technology". Even $5 flashlights have an adjustable beam pattern. Why not bike lights?

Why not have 2 or 3 different "areas"? One for close range, one medium and one far range. Then let the rider adjust the beam pattern?

I've done local rides where the slow and techy trails make you want the bright light within 3 bike lengths. Other places though, I wish I could see 100' in front of me with a tight pattern and some overflow of light to the sides.

On a different note- Can't they make a flip-able dark lens for when you and your buddies are stopped so you're not blinding each other?
a good beam pattern is the result of a mirror.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I have a few friends at Rocky Mountain, and things like this are why they have stayed 20+ years. No company is perfect. But THIS is how a racer moving on announcement should be handled.
Well done.
20 + Another 20+1 years? I think they celebrated 40 years last year, non?
They also made a good home for Wade Simmons. He was doing some sales rep work last I heard and enjoying it. Solid vibes over there!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I like people that manufacture in the home country, seems pretty much every bicycle helmet comes out of only two or three Chinese factories with XYZ branding and wildly varied pricing.
I ordered a Kask Caipi coz it's made in Italy and should work for my baldy head, it was half the price of the Chinese Bontrager helmet I just bought, crazy!

If I wasn't a baldy I would have got a rex.

Attachments

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Would never order a helmet, definitely something you need to try on, see which fits the best, that overrides any other feature.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Would never order a helmet, definitely something you need to try on, see which fits the best, that overrides any other feature.
Unfortunately I wholeheartedly agree on this. Like 1 in 10 half shell helmets fit me well. Most larges have extra space and look like a mushroom head. Most mediums squeeze in a spot or two. For like 6 years I've wanted an aero road (not TT) helmet but finding them to try on is impossible if you don't live in a city with a bunch of high end road bike shops.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Save your money. Ditching your helmet completely would save moar wattage on the road

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Meh, I find that most helmets fit me fine these days, didn't even try on the Bontrager and bought it from a local shop. When Bell moved from American production to Chinese production the fit got really weird, but that was ages ago.

I bought a Specialized something the day before and returned it because you can't adjust the straps under your ears and the rear one Sat on my ear, seemed it was the same as poc strap set ups.
The MIPS system was also really noisy like the model under my last Giro helmet.

EDIT- Kask helmet fits pretty well, it's nice and light with no Mips/Wavecell.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You must make weird assumptions. I guess they're based on your own experience though.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Unfortunately I wholeheartedly agree on this. Like 1 in 10 half shell helmets fit me well. Most larges have extra space and look like a mushroom head. Most mediums squeeze in a spot or two. For like 6 years I've wanted an aero road (not TT) helmet but finding them to try on is impossible if you don't live in a city with a bunch of high end road bike shops.
You can always send them back. Plus most companies don't massively change their fit year to year so if a company works for you why not just stick with their products?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Eh? That seems to just be a US series. and the big prize money is for Pros not amateurs.
Unless one of their races is on the same date as a nearby US EWS round I don't really see how'd you think of it as an alternative to EWS.
I dunno what your enduro scene is like but here in the UK we have tons of different Enduro races/series held over pretty much the full year. Everything from beginner friendly to harder than an EWS.
Personally I've always thought The EWS' jerry classes just takes away from the prestige of a "world" series event... although a rather obvious but cunning way to subsidise the cost (AKA. increase PRO££IT)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Light and battery technology is one of the few things in the industry that has gotten better, more dependable, and cheaper as time goes on. (Mid range products).
I have a fairly fancy Niterider ~4000 Lumen thing and the mount isn't really stiff enough for the weight of the light and vibrates when in the bush, if the cable gets pulled out on a ride you have no chance of getting the plugs back together without a second light, the beam pattern is circular so it annoys the shit out of anyone coming in the other direction and the remote cable is still made to suit a ~720mm bar so you can't reach it with your thumb with your hand on the grip.

I like the beam pattern of Light and Motion lights but the mounting system sucks and the charge port covers snap off.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I have a fairly fancy Niterider ~4000 Lumen thing and the mount isn't really stiff enough for the weight of the light and vibrates when in the bush, if the cable gets pulled out on a ride you have no chance of getting the plugs back together without a second light, the beam pattern is circular so it annoys the shit out of anyone coming in the other direction and the remote cable is still made to suit a ~720mm bar so you can't reach it with your thumb with your hand on the grip.

I like the beam pattern of Light and Motion lights but the mounting system sucks and the charge port covers snap off.
Erm, this is a Wendy's sir (wrong thread perhaps?)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Lol, looks better than the EWS/EDR and they're paying more.

I was wondering this morning how long before we get some good alternative series happening, with the new UCI rules making it stupid hard for privateers.
uuummm, isn't that what they (EWS peeps) said they wanted to do?! create strong regional (or continental, national etc...) series that would become feeder series for "the big leagues" (EWS) ? Like a Formula 3-2-1 format?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
uuummm, isn't that what they (EWS peeps) said they wanted to do?! create strong regional (or continental, national etc...) series that would become feeder series for "the big leagues" (EWS) ? Like a Formula 3-2-1 format?
Yeah to be fair COVID did play havoc the year they launched the feeder (Continental Series) so we didn't see as much of it.

I just think its good to see a bump in prize money somewhere to pressure the World Series to make it a bit more reasonable. $1000 to win an EWS and $3000 to win a WC DH is the current prize money from memory. Obviously the pros are getting paid anyway so thats just a bonus, but geez that's not a lot of dosh for what they do.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
If you're around in the US, the BME (Big Mtn Enduro) is quality. It used to be just mostly in CO. But not so much. I blame Vail Resorts who own everything these days.

The https://www.revolutionenduro.com/ is good too. Their schedule is not out yet.

Both are mostly western US. Save for AR/Arkansas. If I had to pick just one. Purgatory/Durango. Maybe they'll send you down the old school WC DH course :) I know it's not the same, but maybe it's still running....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you're around in the US, the BME (Big Mtn Enduro) is quality. It used to be just mostly in CO. But not so much. I blame Vail Resorts who own everything these days.

The https://www.revolutionenduro.com/ is good too. Their schedule is not out yet.

Both are mostly western US. Save for AR/Arkansas. If I had to pick just one. Purgatory/Durango. Maybe they'll send you down the old school WC DH course :) I know it's not the same, but maybe it's still running....
they also increased their pro prize purse. you listening UCI? even a little regional series can do it.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Remy learning that the BLM doesn't mess around:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Remy learning that the BLM doesn't mess around:

He's doing the right thing and at least acknowledging it and spreading word about this type of thing, which is good.

Is this the same ridge that people like Tippie have been photographed on way back? This one?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
The right thing, for sure, so I landed it in this thread and not "what's wrong ...". But he didn't have much choice, according to his replies to comments on that post. I imagine he may have been fined as well.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia