Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The stays I'll give the benefit of the doubt till I tried them, but yeah - the headset thing can eff off - thats a deal-breaker for me.
Yeah really. No matter what, that's an automatic no from me dawg.

At least give us the option of normal internal routed cabling - don't even need to be fancy with it, just a few holes in the frame.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

The more I see of this thing, the more I like what they've done. Super well thought out - I've never really given Merida much credit/thought but those things embarrass bikes with much higher price tags and street cred.
That upper link and shock position usually result in some regression, but it looks like they're put the work into eliminating that with a unique link/yoke connection. I still don't like the top tube mounted shock though (makes an otherwise light tube much heavier) and the shock mount itself looks oddly long and weak. Minor quibbles though if you're looking for an enduro bike and have no "sweet hookups".

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Saturday I busted a BOA lace on my RC Tallacs. Was upset considering how expensive they were and how much I like the shoes. Did a quick Google search for replacement, and turns out BOA warranties their stuff for life. You click through a short form and upload some photos to help them figure out which exact kind of ratchet & lace you need, and they send you a replacement kit (tool, new ratchet, and new lace) completely free in the mail. New kit is already on it's way. That was a pleasant surprise.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Saturday I busted a BOA lace on my RC Tallacs. Was upset considering how expensive they were and how much I like the shoes. Did a quick Google search for replacement, and turns out BOA warranties their stuff for life. You click through a short form and upload some photos to help them figure out which exact kind of ratchet & lace you need, and they send you a replacement kit (tool, new ratchet, and new lace) completely free in the mail. New kit is already on it's way. That was a pleasant surprise.
I got a kit, maybe from warranty, when my Lakes busted, but that was the easy part. Rethreading it was like microsurgery and not fun.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Its good that they support it, but thats what kind of turns me away from using them. If you don't have an extra laying around, what will you do when they are out of stock or if you're on a trip? Best to have spares...

At least with laces, they can be fixed pretty much anywhere on the planet.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Not sure if we can consider this a "safe space" or direct competition to the RM DH forum but Vital has a thread for Monkeys that get lost

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've always liked a little drag in a headset so this new model from Cane Creek with built in, adjustable "visco damping" seems like a good idea. Probably too heavy for me and can't take my Scotts' internal cables but I hope everyone else buys it.
https://bikerumor.com/cane-creek-introduce-steering-stabilizing-hellbender-70-visco-headset/
Honestly, it's pretty nice on heavy bikes (ebikes, cargo bikes, commuters etc). It's kinda neat for mountain bikes if you get lots of hand/wrist fatigue, but it makes air time feel real fucked if you do any jumping so I mainly think of it as a novelty.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I got a kit, maybe from warranty, when my Lakes busted, but that was the easy part. Rethreading it was like microsurgery and not fun.
I got the kit today and didn't find it to be difficult at all. The threading tools worked very well for me. Hardest parts were seeing the little notch on the backside of the dial that you line up that lets the thread through, and tying the itty bitty knots. Whole process didn't take more than 15 min and that was going really slow and double checking every step.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I'd not be surprised if they went "all the stupid standards for the carbon version none for the alu" since they were pretty proud of threaded BB on the alu one. Generally I'm surprised YT recently seems to be doing not dumb things.

Also bikes on YT site are bikes in stock so no issues with waiting.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia

Dude is killing it with the instructional vids and tips and tricks. My opinion of Gwin has shot up over the last couple of years, feel like I misjudged the guy early on.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
misjudged
I've always found it quite strange how common it is for mtbers have pre-concieved opinions and to have read far too much into the personalities of other mtb riders/racers they've never met.
it's easily fixed

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've always found it quite strange how common it is for mtbers have pre-concieved opinions and to have read far too much into the personalities of other mtb riders/racers they've never met.
it's easily fixed
To be fair I have preconceived opinions of the personalities of celebrities, authors, forum users, Youtubers and certain animals. Most are pretty positive, except for the Scots. They ruined Scotland.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Dude is killing it with the instructional vids and tips and tricks. My opinion of Gwin has shot up over the last couple of years, feel like I misjudged the guy early on.
I think he mellowed out recently and got himself some Gwin time so it might have affected him. I'd happy for him. He doesn't need to prove shit to anyone and it's good he does more than smash times. Then again as Gary has said I see only a tiny glimpse but I like Gwin 2.0

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
you both and @Avy should get a room
I think everyone in here assumed I'm moving in with you. Is that offer no longer on the table?

Though I have to say I doubt I can match Avy's love for Gwyn. I just said it's cool the guy seems to have other stuff on his mind than pure racing.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

It’s OK Brother,he welcomes you with Open Arm’s.

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
It’s OK Brother,he welcomes you with Open Arm’s.

Avy
What Frame is that? No stickers? Is it soon to come about? Seen the pedals,bars,cranks,brakes,rims,grips,but a Black Frame when he rides for Intense? Come on Man?

Avy

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've always liked a little drag in a headset so this new model from Cane Creek with built in, adjustable "visco damping" seems like a good idea. Probably too heavy for me and can't take my Scotts' internal cables but I hope everyone else buys it.
https://bikerumor.com/cane-creek-introduce-steering-stabilizing-hellbender-70-visco-headset/
the viscoset was originally introduced in 2019 based on what google is telling me, this version they just merged it into a hellbender 70 variation.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What Frame is that? No stickers? Is it soon to come about? Seen the pedals,bars,cranks,brakes,rims,grips,but a Black Frame when he rides for Intense? Come on Man?

Avy
Pretty sure it is a Specialized P3 frame w/o decals.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Gwin had a video a few years back with him showing his BMX roots riding laps on what looks like the same bike at his local BMX track.
I guess your VHS copy is worn out .

Funnily enough the same width bars can look wider on little 26" wheeled hardtails than big 29" WC DH bikes

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Gwin had a video a few years back with him showing his BMX roots riding laps on what looks like the same bike at his local BMX track.
I guess your VHS copy is worn out .

Funnily enough the same width bars can look wider on little 26" wheeled hardtails than big 29" WC DH bikes
Actually it is not Gary. I saw that video I think,was it his Home BMX Track? I think I can find that? With all that was going on,I did not think of wheel size in this Video? 26 yeah?

Avy

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
it's easily fixed
Every time I see Scottish Thistle on trails I curse your name, I know you came over here and planted it all.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
TLDR - is he trying to cover all high pivot bikes or just this dual chain on drive side monstrosity?
Looks like the dual chain drivetrain system as used by numerous other companies including BMW. He doesn't mention the jackshaft, as his patent covers driveside small and large chain. It's been a while since we had a DW lawsuit, he's got to get paid somehow.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Looks like the dual chain drivetrain system as used by numerous other companies including BMW. He doesn't mention the jackshaft, as his patent covers driveside small and large chain. It's been a while since we had a DW lawsuit, he's got to get paid somehow.
Living costs are rising...