Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Didn't someone make some ridiculous housing at some stage that was like that? Jagwire or something. Looked like a bunch of small links clipped together.
I have Nokon housing still on one of my bikes, it's been on there since 2011 without issue and I've got well over 10k miles on that bike.

I think Jagwire still offer something similar, no idea if Nokon is still around.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have Nokon housing still on one of my bikes, it's been on there since 2011 without issue and I've got well over 10k miles on that bike.
Would that not make it 10speed?
A decent 10spd drivetrain will often remain running fine on the same old stock cables for tens of thousands of miles anyway.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I bought into the Gor-Tex thing. That was a loooong time ago. For the cost? Not really optimal, is what I remember feeling.

But you know, on an ebike where it takes like all day to change out a derailleur cable due to motor and other jackassery, it could be useful, if it actually lasted longer.

If you can afford it, AXS is where it's at. No cables is better than 2 cables. Even if it is SRAM.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Would that not make it 10speed?
A decent 10spd drivetrain will often remain running fine on the same old stock cables for tens of thousands of miles anyway.
Originally built as 3x9, currently 2x11, still the same housing.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I bought a set of Gore Tex cables and housing from dx.com about 13 years ago. We had incredibly rainy winters, they were cheaper than Shimano XTR and I was curious. It came with a 2m spool of housing , the inner yellow housing and Teflon covered cables, which was a bonus.

I remember I didn't know how to cut the housing back in the day, so I drilled all the frame's cable stops and made it a continuous housing from the shifters through the derailleurs (it was a 3x9 bike).

Gotta admit it really made the shifting smoother, but I can't comment on the long term because I sold the bike after that winter :D .

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sounds like you don't live in communism anymore. ;)
I wish we had non communist wages though. The 90s eldorado of "hey you know english? Ok you are now a high level executive" has unfortunately ended.

Weirdly a lot of the stuff that works is thanks to communism. What doesn't is the new govts going "communism was bad, who needs communist local rail..."

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i realize my spending is fairly profligate as of late, but even i would not spent that much
Ahh that was my drug brain speaking. Of course it's not 3000k but 3000. Even with my mothers weird spending habits like rending a 10 bedroom house for 3 people she would not spend 3000k on a bike (mostly because it was not possible)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
On that note:

SRAM patented the rolamajig to death so shimano end users couldn't buy it. They stopped selling it and integrated a similar mechanism into their derailleurs. Now the chinese appear to have offered an FU to the patent office and replicated the same thing. No more mile long cable loop....
Just ordered 3! My stupid e-bike cable routing +/- how I managed to get the housing wrapped around the chainstay (now sure how possible) could really use one of these, and I bet a kids bike and my wife's bike might benefit as well.

My e-mtb has Di2, on the other hand, so I'll just try to avoid grinding that wire between the rear triangle and a rock as I've done once before. (It holds the current gear when the cable's all mangled and not transmitting electrons, for the record, instead of defaulting to where the spring would have it go on a normal or old school rapid rise (remember those?!) derailleur.)

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Just ordered 3! My stupid e-bike cable routing +/- how I managed to get the housing wrapped around the chainstay (now sure how possible) could really use one of these, and I bet a kids bike and my wife's bike might benefit as well.

My e-mtb has Di2, on the other hand, so I'll just try to avoid grinding that wire between the rear triangle and a rock as I've done once before. (It holds the current gear when the cable's all mangled and not transmitting electrons, for the record, instead of defaulting to where the spring would have it go on a normal or old school rapid rise (remember those?!) derailleur.)
please report when you get it

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Neat, same with @sethimus, let us know how it works. I wouldn't mind grabbing some for my various shimano bikes. Eliminating or at least reducing the loop wouldn't be a bad idea, especially for a cheap part.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I still have a little bit of Hope outer left, 10+yrs ago I ordered 2m and CRC sent me two 30m boxes, I emailed them about it but they didn't want it back.

The stuff was so stiff it wasn't funny and it had to use metal ferrules for brake line or it wouldn't fit in the guides.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'd consider it if someone modified an AXS derailleur for 11spd, including shorter cage and made a minimalist 2 button shifter. No way would I want the existing AXS on my bikes.
What is your issue with current AXS?

Too long of cage, and you can't trim it down to 11speed? Meh

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Someone already made their own 7 speed DH axs by putting a 7 speed cage and adjusting the limit screws. I’m not sure if you burn out the drive if you have it pressing against a limit screws or not but you could probably put an 11 speed cage on and do the same.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Someone already made their own 7 speed DH axs by putting a 7 speed cage and adjusting the limit screws. I’m not sure if you burn out the drive if you have it pressing against a limit screws or not but you could probably put an 11 speed cage on and do the same.
I can see how the 11sp spacing of the cassette works when limited to just 7 cogs, but a full 11sp cassette and 12sp AXS RD spacing is likely a no no.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
What is your issue with current AXS?

Too long of cage, and you can't trim it down to 11speed? Meh
-12spd (don't like the gearing, heavy cassette, maybe not as durable chain & cassette)
-Heavy derailleur
-Long cage thay seems more prone to bouncing and catching on stuff
-Shifter is no sleeker, lighter, or better feeling than cable
This is in the context that all my XX1 bikes shift perfectly and their cables have never given me a problem so wireless electric shifting on its own isn't much of an improvement.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Makes me wonder if they programmed the shifter throw to less shifts...don't think there's enough $ in DH publicly to produce a short cage 11 set up...
The derailleur probably sits a little too inboard in 7th gear and a little too outboard in 1st, but close enough that it works. If it had to cover 11 gears it would be too far off at one end or the other. I'd expect the "indexing" is in the derailleur, not the shifter, so its firmware would need to be hacked. Since most of the riders who prefer 11spd are paid to use, or at least given, 12spd I don't expect anyone to sell 11spd AXS kits.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The derailleur probably sits a little too inboard in 7th gear and a little too outboard in 1st, but close enough that it works. If it had to cover 11 gears it would be too far off at one end or the other. I'd expect the "indexing" is in the derailleur, not the shifter, so its firmware would need to be hacked. Since most of the riders who prefer 11spd are paid to use, or at least given, 12spd I don't expect anyone to sell 11spd AXS kits.
Agreed software hack...someone will figure it out, I want a phone app so I can scan lock and change others shifting while riding...lol

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
-12spd (don't like the gearing, heavy cassette, maybe not as durable chain & cassette)
-Heavy derailleur
-Long cage thay seems more prone to bouncing and catching on stuff
-Shifter is no sleeker, lighter, or better feeling than cable
This is in the context that all my XX1 bikes shift perfectly and their cables have never given me a problem so wireless electric shifting on its own isn't much of an improvement.
Ok, yeah, I trust you know what you're talking about. You ride way more and work on way more bikes than I.

Although, I really think that the AXS is faster/quicker than cable. It is pretty cool. IMO

XTR Cassette? I think it's the lightest of all giant salad plates out there.

Yeah, because of battery/servo, yeah I'm sure it's heavier.

Haven't rear derailleurs always get caught on something? That's like a F1 driver complaining his Farrari is too long or too heavy. :) (Ford v Farrari movie reference there just for fun) But Niki Lauda was awesome and did cool things.

IDK - I do love love the fast action of AXS and no cable. Everything else is really not on my radar.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Not sure where you're getting the less durable cassette and chain. My X01 cassette and XX1 chain have about 2700 miles on them and the chain is still passing the 75% test. I killed 2 XTR cassettes in <200 miles.

My X01 AXS derailleur has had the shit smacked out of it and it still keeps on ticking. Once I hit it so hard the plastic "X01" cover folded back, and I just folded it back and re-stuck it with double sided tape. The body is covered in scratches, since turning right is my weaker direction and the local trails have a couple steep right-hand hairpins. I replaced the silly ceramic bearing pulleys with the cheap steel GX ones at like 1500 miles.

Once you get used to the light clicks of an AXS controller, the long throw of levers (dropper or shifter) feels like crap. It's easier to perfectly time your shifts under load too. My benchmark for that is shifting while pedaling an ebike in Turbo while going up a 45% grade. I can nail those shifts consistently with AXS, without any nasty crunching or clunking.

Shimano XT cassette/chain and AXS shifter is probably best of both worlds currently but I'm waiting to see what the new version does that uses the Flattop chain does.

Yeah the 52 tooth cassette jump is dumb but you can still get the 50-10 cassettes for cheaper than the 52s.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
That was, like, the number one complaint with the 10-50 (and gave Shimano an advantage) I can’t believe they didn’t step the low gears better. Like 42/47/50/52, or whatever combo you prefer. Maybe 43/48/52? (I didn’t look what they are).
42 -52 is some straight up crap on a bike that actually gets pedaled long distances on steep uphills (By old men) :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That was, like, the number one complaint with the 10-50 (and gave Shimano an advantage) I can’t believe they didn’t step the low gears better. Like 42/47/50/52, or whatever combo you prefer. Maybe 43/48/52? (I didn’t look what they are).
42 -52 is some straight up crap on a bike that actually gets pedaled long distances on steep uphills (By old men) :rolleyes:
I'm not so sure. IME, effort is not linear to increases in grade. In other words, increasing the grade a few % points is way way harder and cassettes shouldn't step linear, they should be more linear towards the small gears and make bigger and bigger jumps towards the easier gears. That's the only way it makes sense to me. The only place for really tight ratios (small steps) is road cassettes with 2x up front.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
yeah both sram and shimano have the two big gears too close to each other. You can hardly tell the difference between them unless the climb is really steep.