Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This is in the context that all my XX1 bikes shift perfectly and their cables have never given me a problem so wireless electric shifting on its own isn't much of an improvement.
bike I rode yesterday has a 5yr old GX11 drivetrain and it feels better with quicker, smoother shifts than new SRAM 12spd. A lot of that is down to it only having a 42t largest cassette sprocket.
Massive range cassettes and subsequent range the mech has to deal with is the main performance issue with 12spd

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
You think 42-52 is too close together on a real bike?
yeah. It seems big but it never feels like it on the bike. Functionally I’d like something that’s a 10-42 9 speed with a 56 big ring. That would be perfect, gearing for every situation.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
yeah. It seems big but it never feels like it on the bike. Functionally I’d like something that’s a 10-42 9 speed with a 56 big ring. That would be perfect, gearing for every situation.
To each their own, but I super duper disagree. The 42-52 jump feels like way too big a jump in cadence to me, can't stand it.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Oh, man, I certainly feel it. It is more important to me to find the ‘just right’ gear when I am struggling over when I am hammering. Even when racing. (If you can call my participation ‘racing, LOL)

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
To each their own, but I super duper disagree. The 42-52 jump feels like way too big a jump in cadence to me, can't stand it.
Well yeah you're not supposed to be in a cadence between those gears. The big ring is for inclines that mere mortals would walk and the other gears are for normal riding.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Well yeah you're not supposed to be in a cadence between those gears. The big ring is for inclines that mere mortals would walk and the other gears are for normal riding.
While I get the idea if the trail is uber steep it's not really a big bike uphil trail even with modern fancy geo. So that logic makes more sense for XC and trail bikes but probably less on bigger enduro rigs when if you use pretty burly tires, slack ha's, long tt's etc you wont be going many steep uphills anyway.

Also I use the biggest cog often just because when I ride up I don't want to use too much energy. I just listen to something and slowly ride up. Going down is where i want to be fast.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I only hear good things about Garbaruk clusters from local xc nerd bike shop employees, but i’ve never used the stuff.
They offer some nice tight gear ranges, any of y’all used them? I get most stuff wholesale, and their retail prices are awesome for european manufacturing.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Functionally I’d like something that’s a 10-42 9 speed with a 56 big ring. That would be perfect, gearing for every situation.
So gearing that's good for 60mph+ in the highest gear and horribly low cadence below 5mph in the lowest?
Presumably your definition of "every situation" is something along the lines of bombing high speed ski pistes with a short flat pedal back to the lift

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
So gearing that's good for 60mph+ in the highest gear and horribly low cadence below 5mph in the lowest?
Presumably your definition of "every situation" is something along the lines of bombing high speed ski pistes with a short flat pedal back to the lift
60kph maybe

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I only hear good things about Garbaruk clusters from local xc nerd bike shop employees, but i’ve never used the stuff.
They offer some nice tight gear ranges, any of y’all used them? I get most stuff wholesale, and their retail prices are awesome for european manufacturing.
I got a 11 spd 11-42 cassette from them because I wanted something light and HD compatible. Not ridden it much yet, but well made and so far promising shifting performance.
If it is just different ranges you are after, Sunrace and all those other Chinese brands offer some more unusual gear range cassettes as well.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I like the 6t jump in my top gears, like this current XT 12sp cassette. (39-45-51)
While I try to climb anything in my 30/45, we have steep trails and I'm a terribly unfit climber, so the 51 gets used.

edit, I really do suck at mathing.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I like a 5t jump in my top gears, like this current XT 12sp cassette. (39-45-51)
While I try to climb anything in my 30/45, we have steep trails and I'm a terribly unfit climber, so the 51 gets used.
me too. i have a 34 up front though, so dipping to 34/51 happens somewhat often.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I like a 5t jump in my top gears, like this current XT 12sp cassette. (39-45-51)
It's not the size of the jump that matters, it's the ratio. :nerd:

(but she wouldn't hear that)

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I got a 11 spd 11-42 cassette from them because I wanted something light and HD compatible. Not ridden it much yet, but well made and so far promising shifting performance.
If it is just different ranges you are after, Sunrace and all those other Chinese brands offer some more unusual gear range cassettes as well.
It’s more like Gabaruk stuff is cheaper retail than equivalent weight SRAM stuff at small OE pricing that interests me…

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I've got a Garbaruk cassette on my gravel bike. Very fancy and light, works well with my XT 12speed equipment. Would bang again if I have $$$ to burn. I like that it's one piece and not a puzzle to install.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Sounds like you actually 'mountain' bike

Last month I helped a dude whose derailleur wasn't shifting properly. He had a 10-52 on an e-bike which made no fucking sense to me until I passed him on the way out as he was going 5 MPH with a dead battery. He also complained about his 180mm fork being too harsh running low air pressure, HSR and LSR maxed out with all compression wide open. He was also fully decked out in armor and a full face riding fairly tame trails. I feel like he would fit in really well here.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Sounds like you actually 'mountain' bike

Last month I helped a dude whose derailleur wasn't shifting properly. He had a 10-52 on an e-bike which made no fucking sense to me until I passed him on the way out as he was going 5 MPH with a dead battery. He also complained about his 180mm fork being too harsh running low air pressure, HSR and LSR maxed out with all compression wide open. He was also fully decked out in armor and a full face riding fairly tame trails. I feel like he would fit in really well here.
Westy, was that you?!

:D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah, I totally reserve my XC bike for the big steep mountains. LOL

That enduro sled is just for the county park flow trails.
I get that it happens but It's not really the main intended use. Not that I am very concerned with the big gap. I'm fine with my casette gap.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
While I get the idea if the trail is uber steep it's not really a big bike uphil trail even with modern fancy geo. So that logic makes more sense for XC and trail bikes but probably less on bigger enduro rigs when if you use pretty burly tires, slack ha's, long tt's etc you wont be going many steep uphills anyway.

Also I use the biggest cog often just because when I ride up I don't want to use too much energy. I just listen to something and slowly ride up. Going down is where i want to be fast.
I don't normally disagree with you, but in this case, I think it's quite the opposite. I think most people accessing the type of riding that require burly tires, slack ha's, long titties etc... will in fact need to get to the top of the hill somehow. Barring lifts, shuttles, and ebikes, that will require grinding it out to the top of the hill. I'd rather do that gently, spinning it out with a pie plate, than "man-up" and grind my way to the top of the hill.
It’s more like Gabaruk stuff is cheaper retail than equivalent weight SRAM stuff at small OE pricing that interests me…
I got an 11sp 10-50 cassette from them at the start of last year. I wanted a wider range cassette because of my back injury and wanted something slightly easier to spin out on the climbs. I needed to buy a new cage and pulley wheels for my SLX derailleur. Overall it works well. Longevity seems ok, but not quite as good as the XO1 cassettes I had on there before. It doesn't deal as well with multi-gear Shimano downshifts (I have an XTR shifter) - it gets jammed in the middle of the cassette if I try and dump a bunch of gears. I've had to re-learn to run through the gears SRAM-style (click-click-click-click as opposed to a sweeping 4-gear jump). I also found going to those long cages and longer chain is very floppy. I've had to get used to the floppiness and trust I won't smash the cage into every rock on the trail.

but overall, I'm quite happy with it. it's much lighter than any other wide range 11sp system I can think of, and seems much more durable too.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This being a DH forum. It's absolutely fine to run a small cassette and push uphill

Enduro is just XC but with a flappier chain.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I think most people accessing the type of riding that require burly tires, slack ha's, long titties etc... will in fact need to get to the top of the hill somehow. Barring lifts, shuttles, and ebikes, that will require grinding it out to the top of the hill. I'd rather do that gently, spinning it out with a pie plate, than "man-up" and grind my way to the top of the hill.
This for me. All of my local trails are accessed via steep fire road climbs.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't normally disagree with you, but in this case, I think it's quite the opposite. I think most people accessing the type of riding that require burly tires, slack ha's, long titties etc... will in fact need to get to the top of the hill somehow. Barring lifts, shuttles, and ebikes, that will require grinding it out to the top of the hill. I'd rather do that gently, spinning it out with a pie plate, than "man-up" and grind my way to the top of the hill.
Yeah probably did not think that through. You are correct here. It's just that comment of "super steep uphills mortals don't think off" made me think about XC climbs that we really are not doing on our enduro rigs, the ones that are hard even on 3 ring setup where there is barely any traction. I guess you can stop riding XC 20 years ago but that thinking stays in your head. The big ring is really useful for enduro I agree.