Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Been riding/working on tons of different bikes pretty much daily and was thinking about this thread while contemplating my own preferences

LOVE All 10spd shimano (Road or MTB but only up to a 36t cassettes.
LIKE 11spd SRAM mtb (up to 42)
HATE all SRAM ROAD. & All 12spd SRAM & Shimano.

Almost bought a 10spd shimano linkglide drivetrain this week to try but 11-43 cassette put me off.

What's this thread about again?

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Damn. They must have needed it to fit the water bottle cage.
The other option is a 250x75 which creates packaging problems and a lot less standover clearance. They already have a downtube canoe for piggyback clearance at bottom out so they can’t shift the shock down without creating a down tube bend. For this layout a 250 i2i is hard to fit and get the curves you want.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The other option is a 250x75 which creates packaging problems and a lot less standover clearance. They already have a downtube canoe for piggyback clearance at bottom out so they can’t shift the shock down without creating a down tube bend. For this layout a 250 i2i is hard to fit and get the curves you want.
I have a friend who recently finished his civil architecture grade. He maintains the "knee" (or downtube canoe as you named it) is greatly responsible for a bike's stability.

I have sent him several times to retake the Mechanical Structures course, a first year assignment, along with Physics 101.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Been riding/working on tons of different bikes pretty much daily and was thinking about this thread while contemplating my own preferences

LOVE All 10spd shimano (Road or MTB but only up to a 36t cassettes.
LIKE 11spd SRAM mtb (up to 42)
HATE all SRAM ROAD. & All 12spd SRAM & Shimano.

Almost bought a 10spd shimano linkglide drivetrain this week to try but 11-43 cassette put me off.

What's this thread about again?
My buddy just built a bike with the 10spd Linkglide stuff, will report his findings.
Supposed to be more durablerer.

I am liking Shimano 12 spd 10-45 with a 32 tooth ring for 29" wheels, but durable it is NOT.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
My buddy just built a bike with the 10spd Linkglide stuff, will report his findings.

I am liking Shimano 12 spd 10-45 with a 32 tooth ring for 29" wheels, but durable it is NOT.
Damn really? My XTR 10-51 cassette has about 3000 miles on it without any significant signs of wear, and I'm not known for doing things like "taking care of my bike" or "cleaning it" or "lubing the chain." I did replace the chain once though if that counts.

Still wish I'd gone AXS but honestly I'm pretty impressed that it's holding up as well as it is. The group has been pretty reliable and bang the derailleur pretty regularly.

Those RAW's seem cool, but I've seen pretty mixed reviews of their ride quality by people I know who have actually purchased/owned one.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Damn really? My XTR 10-51 cassette has about 3000 miles on it without any significant signs of wear, and I'm not known for doing things like "taking care of my bike" or "cleaning it" or "lubing the chain." I did replace the chain once though if that counts.
It's always when the smaller sprockets have worn that a cassette is done. (ie. slips under load) and 3000 miles wear on those smaller steel cassette sprockets generally isn't determinable by eye.
Having said that. 3000miles is a very decent life if you genuinely haven't looked after it at all and are riding mixed conditions off road

]Those RAW's seem cool, but I've seen pretty mixed reviews of their ride quality by people I know who have actually purchased/owned one.
I haven't ridden one myself but have witnessed a frame bearing replacement on a RAW madonna where the customer's main pivot had seized in the frame and required cutting to remove.I'd avoid ownership based solely on that stupid main pivot design and the main pivot bearings RAW chose to use. (looks to be the same poor design on the DH frame)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Seeing as I've always managed to get at least 4000miles out of a cheap Deore or 105 10spd cassette with ONE chain (whether that's on an Eeb, mtb or roadbike) I find Shimano's claim that linkglide is 300% more durable than standard HG somewhat unbelievable. but with the quoted weights of Linkglide cassettes it's larger sprockets should hopefully flex less ;)

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I always buy the steel cassetes nowadays for two reasons : 1)Longevity and 2)no creaking between the aluminium and steel/ti parts, which seems to happen on SLX/XT/XTR cassettes. I can't stand creaks and will not mind the weight. I've got two bikes on 12 spd Deore 10-51 cassettes (with steel RF cinch rings) and two on 8 spd Microshift 12-46t cassettes (all steel) and have nothing to complain about! Since those Acolyte 8spd cassettes can be bought for 15$cdn on ChainReaction and work great, hard not to have those on the fat bike and commuter.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
It's always when the smaller sprockets have worn that a cassette is done. (ie. slips under load) and 3000 miles wear on those smaller steel cassette sprockets generally isn't determinable by eye.
Having said that. 3000miles is a very decent life if you genuinely haven't looked after it at all and are riding mixed conditions off road

I haven't ridden one myself but have witnessed a frame bearing replacement on a RAW madonna where the customer's main pivot had seized in the frame and required cutting to remove.I'd avoid ownership based solely on that stupid main pivot design and the main pivot bearings RAW chose to use. (looks to be the same poor design on the DH frame)
Funny, one of the guys who had one sold it after a few months because it creaked out of the box, he had to rebuild the pivots from day one, and then 4 months later that main pivot went again (in addition to ride complaints. I think he'd have put up with it if he thought it brought something to the table for riding).

I don't usually spend a lot of time pedaling in those small rings - I'm a pretty lazy rider and would ride chainless always if I could get away with not having to go up hills. That'd probably be a different story on an E-Bike though.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I always buy the steel cassetes nowadays for two reasons : 1)Longevity and 2)no creaking between the aluminium and steel/ti parts, which seems to happen on SLX/XT/XTR cassettes. I can't stand creaks and will not mind the weight. I've got two bikes on 12 spd Deore 10-51 cassettes
Eh? Deore 10-51 cassettes do have an Ali spider the steel sprockets are rivetted to. and those individual sprockets definitely flex enough to scuff against the outer chain plates (ie. making noise). Way more flexy than any SRAM XD cassettes IME

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Eh? Deore 10-51 cassettes do have an Ali spider the steel sprockets are rivetted to. and those individual sprockets definitely flex enough to scuff against the outer chain plates (ie. making noise). Way more flexy than any SRAM XD cassettes IME
Oh yeah, the Deore spider is aluminium too, but the junction with the steel cogs don't creak. It's the SLX/XT and XTR's aluminium cogs's riveting with the aluminium spider that can loosen and creak on thefrom what I've read. I haven't seen any reports of loosening, creaking or breaking on the M6100, that's why I got them. They can be noisy, but I don't mind drivetrain noise as long as it's not creaking. I haven't felt the flex, but I guess it happens with the size of the 45t and 51t cogs.

I've never used anything SRAM after an 11-34t cassette like 14 years ago so I can't compare Shimano with their recent things. Don't ask me why, but my bikes are 100% SRAM free and will stay like that for as long as I can.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I have a friend who recently finished his civil architecture grade. He maintains the "knee" (or downtube canoe as you named it) is greatly responsible for a bike's stability.

I have sent him several times to retake the Mechanical Structures course, a first year assignment, along with Physics 101.
What does your friend think about these cranks? I hear the lever torque gets multiplicationized or something. ;)