Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
wooooooooooooooooooooosh

Its for fitment and testing out, not for railing rock gardens with an extra anchor brake deployed for maximum derpness. :busted:
The entire reason you are using shorter cranks is for the clearance. Thats what you are testing.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The entire reason you are using shorter cranks is for the clearance. Thats what you are testing.
I thought it was for CoG (as I learned) and mechanics of spinning smaller circles (as I knew)

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Nah. Having ridden long enough to have already tried every single option they offer I'm just not all that interested.
But honestly. Trying a super short mtb crank WITHOUT the improvement in pedal clearance is completely retarded
I appreciate that your alternative to testing this one time, over a few weeks, on one test rig for a small rental cost - is to take several years, on different set ups, buying a new crankset each time, before eventually finding what works for you.

I get that on a DH forum many people are reducing crank length for clearance, but there’s also hip and knee strain as a major factor for using these specific options.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
No it's not. Anyone can make the connection between a shorter crank and fewer pedal strikes, but the effect on pedaling and bike fit are way harder to predict unless you try it first. But sure, let's be dicks about someone giving people an opportunity to try before they buy. :crazy:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
there’s also hip and knee strain as a major factor for using these specific options.
Yeah. I completely agree. As of ten years ago anything over 170mm gives me knee pain on my roadbike. But hiring this crankset as a solution (alone) isn't actually likely to pinpoint that being the sole cause of your discomfort.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Yeah. I completely agree. As of ten years ago anything over 170mm gives me knee pain on my roadbike. But hiring this crankset as a solution (alone) isn't actually likely to pinpoint that being the sole cause of your discomfort.
I’ll accept that hiring a set of multi holed cranks as the sole factor to alleviate pain or fix positions isn’t going to work. Bike fit (especially on road bikes) is such a fickle twat of a thing to get right - best to get a proper fitter (who can own a set of these, plus 30 different bar, stem, saddle combos) to get you figured out.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF. Back when I began suffering with knee pain it coincided with fitting a set of 172.5 cranks after 30ish years of riding roadbikes on 170s. I genuinely didn't believe a 2.5mm increase in crank length would be the issue* but switching back to shorter completely solved it. I then tried165s and been happier on those for the past 9 years.

*I'd already ruled out saddle height being the problem and nothing had changed in regards to shoes/cleats/pedals

The only bike that ever gives me knee pain now is my Emtb. and that has 165mm shimano cranks (normal Q factor) and flat pedals. It only happens if I use it too often for my 20mile each way commute and it seems to be caused by the motor assistance and it's unnatural pedalling input not being as directly linked to my effort. I can sort out the pain by simply switching to my roadbike the next day. Go figure.
BOOOOOOOOO EBIKES

Professional bike fitting services can still be a minefield as there's still tons of variance between methodology, theories and preconceptions of different fitters and the various fitting systems out there.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Professional bike fitting "services" provide as much value as [pick your religious sect].
No, on that there's actual benefit. Usually small enough that it won't benefit the average rider in a tangible way, but sometimes it does. We had a guy come in for a fit due to knee pain, turns out he needed wedges in his shoes (or under his cleats maybe?) and that solved his pain issues.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No, on that there's actual benefit. Usually small enough that it won't benefit the average rider in a tangible way, but sometimes it does. We had a guy come in for a fit due to knee pain, turns out he needed wedges in his shoes (or under his cleats maybe?) and that solved his pain issues.
Sounds just like the young guy I heard about who was terminally ill, travelled to Lourdes drank some holy water and lived to be 100

Last edited:
Not believing in nonsense which has caused missery and death worldwide since the dawn of time is somehow bad in your eyes?

in what way, exactly?
We're in a universe sufficiently vast that none of us can understand it, we each construct our own model based on experience plus whatever's wired into us.

I started out an atheist but eventually decided that to say that goddess(es) exist or do not exist is equally arrogant, so formally I'm an agnostic, although I believe that dieties are wicked unlikely.

All of the formal religious institutions that have existed or exist on the earth have been and are evil.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
We're in a universe sufficiently vast that none of us can understand it, we each construct our own model based on experience plus whatever's wired into us.

I started out an atheist but eventually decided that to say that goddess(es) exist or do not exist is equally arrogant, so formally I'm an agnostic, although I believe that dieties are wicked unlikely.

All of the formal religious institutions that have existed or exist on the earth have been and are evil.
we are in agreement on all of this.

now back to bikes.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
to say that goddess(es) exist or do not exist is equally arrogant
Possibly. but which belief has caused most human suffering?
Personally I'd prefer to er on the side of GOOD on this one. If some apologist want to call that that arrogant so be it.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
We're in a universe sufficiently vast that none of us can understand it, we each construct our own model based on experience plus whatever's wired into us
Eh... No. You can create whatever explanation on your own, but for it to be valid it will have to stand the trial of what we have already learned about reality, and that has been systematically compiled into what we today call science.