Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I was not expecting an innocuous comment about alternative crank length drilling to become a debate on theism…

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
This doesn't sound correct:
All the shifters use the same pull ratio, meaning that you could theoretically run an 11-speed shifter on a 9-speed cassette and just turn in the limit screw. In this instance, you'd be better off tensioning the cable in the largest gear with the ratchet two clicks into its range - not that Shimano is directly endorsing this, but it should make bike mechanics' lives a little easier.
But maybe I am just dumb.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This guy covers a little more and makes more sense of the various options across mtb, Road and gra.. Barf.. Nope... Can't say it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
i understood it that each shifter has the same cable pull per click, but each derailleur moves differently, so you need 9s cassette with 9s derailleur but could use it with a 11s shifter if you limit 2 gears
But that means different pull ratios, and 11sp chain possibly too thin for a full 9sp spacing? Anywho, who cares. :D

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
But that means different pull ratios, and 11sp chain possibly too thin for a full 9sp spacing? Anywho, who cares. :D
The cassette has thicker teeth, and the 9sp one isn't as wide as the 10 or 11 speed ones. You can use a 10 or 11 speed shifter with the 9sp cassette if you set the limit screws correctly, but you'll have one or two false clicks in them.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The cassette has thicker teeth,
It doesn't. It's just thicker at the sprocket base but designed to take a standard 11spd chain. Which puts their 300% MOAR drivetrain durability claim straight in to the bullshit marketing category for me. In reality probably a 30‰ increase in drivetrain life at a push