Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm convinced that Shimano was somehow involved in the Big Headset Routing Conspiracy. They noticed that people like having fewer wires in the cockpit (AXS) but are too fucking stubborn / slow to engineer their own wireless setup. So they talk to those goblins at FSA into making a (somehow even shittier) headset to kind of hide the cables. Then FSA turns around and pitches it to all the catalogue frame design/builders in Taiwan as a way to simplify / cut costs. And thus the abomination is born.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I guess you simply never payed any attention to roadbikes.

clue: internal headset routing was around Waaaay before SRAM showed up with AXS

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Plus: If you really want to blame a headset manufacturer for you seeing it on mtbs blame ACROS

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Blatantly stolen from Vital forums. A glimmer of hope. Is this a sign that that the whinging about headset routing has worked? Please let it be a stupid flash in the pan phase that the industry moves on from.

View attachment 193378
Ya know sometimes in the haste of things we say "oh I won't buy X because of Y". But how often do most people actually follow through with that?

But headset routing, with no other options on the frame, is one of those things that will immediately scratch a potential bike from the list, if I were looking for one. Hopefully that's how the majority of bike users feel out there, especially those that know the already present pain that internal routing can present.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Plus: If you really want to blame a headset manufacturer for you seeing it on mtbs blame ACROS
Yeah this, but let's also blame the pen pushers who are filling out those design and order sheets for them.

Sure offer headset routing, but at least poke some holes in the frame for regular routing or some tabs for clip on guides or something.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Don't make me laugh. mtb is such a sheepy fashion led hobby the majority of it's punters are willing to buy a whole new frame/bike just because their current one didn't have water bottle mounts. That they never actually needed when they bought it.
Seeing as this is meant to be a "what's right with the industry" thread. From where I'm sat the industry still seems to be doing just fine hyping up dull AF accessories as must haves to these morons.
#WhatsRightwiththeIndustry

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Woah don't hate on water bottle mounts. That's one less spot to stash a tall can of beer man.

That's important stuff.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
You carry fridges on your rides? Man, no wonder you have an ebike.
I used to fill the CamelBak bladder with water and ice and then put in two or three cans in the insulated pocket next to the bladder. Smash out a Friday arvo lap and then stop at the outcrop for refreshments. Those days were the best.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You carry fridges on your rides? Man, no wonder you have an ebike.
It's Scotland Bruv. The land where you're never moar than a couple of minutes from a cold beer. Fuck carrying a warm one rattling around in a bicycle bottle cage all day.

I used to fill the CamelBak bladder with water and ice and then put in two or three cans in the insulated pocket next to the bladder.
Aye. That's the spirit! Fuck using waterbottle mounts for beer.
I killed a few camelbak bladders BITD by filling them with hooch on nights out/partying/raving. didn't ever have a bike with me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I killed a few camelbak bladders BITD by filling them with hooch on nights out/partying/raving. didn't ever have a bike with me.
we used to do group night street rides downtown when i was in college. there was one night it was somebody's birthday, so one of the older guys with kids used his burley trailer to tow a keg around for the night.

i have a chrome messenger bag. figured out that the waterproof liner was just as effective at keeping water in as it was keeping it out, so many a nights i would fill it with ice and nearly a case of beer.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
This guy gets it *
:cheers:

* and by "it" I didn't mean Gary's up skirt surprise

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
This sounds very promising, I'll have to get there for some riding.
Yes, go there for the riding. You will not find beer as easily as in Austria which is the second country in the world with the largest beer consumption per capita. :nerd:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
when we used to do all day urban rides/races here, with hundreds of riders, my camelbak became the imperial stoutlebak and my waterbottles whiskeybottles. those were the days.

as for mountain rides, the beers are either stashed in a creek, or a cooler in the car if we're feeling civilized.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

I was going to post this in the “what’s wrong” thread, but the real issue here is UCI insistence that short track is an exciting format, and then insisting that riders use the same bike for short track and the full xc event.

I like that teams are figuring things like this out. Even though it shouldn’t exist. Can’t wait for ceramic speed to make rigid shock replacement struts with aero fins that save 300 W over a 2 minute track.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I was going to post this in the “what’s wrong” thread, but the real issue here is UCI insistence that short track is an exciting format, and then insisting that riders use the same bike for short track and the full xc event.

I like that teams are figuring things like this out. Even though it shouldn’t exist. Can’t wait for ceramic speed to make rigid shock replacement struts with aero fins that save 300 W over a 2 minute track.
It's not a bad idea IF the bike is designed for it. Being able to get hardtail power transmission on a short track or similar type of race is great, then change it out to FS for a longer endurance thing. It's been in the past that this can over-stress the frame/hardware...but done right, makes sense IMO.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
seen a few frame onlys turn up boxed with an aluminium or plastic tube/bar bolted between the shock mounting hardware over the years.

I wouldn't get too excited about it. Vader finished 37th out of 40 and the guy who won was on another roadie companies FS frame WITH it's shock

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If only there was a way to build a shock that allowed you to temporarily restrict squish, like with a lever on the shock or something, maybe even in a lightweight package. Maybe someone could even figure out a way to do that without taking your hands off the bars. :rolleyes:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If only there was a way to build a shock that allowed you to temporarily restrict squish, like with a lever on the shock or something, maybe even in a lightweight package. Maybe someone could even figure out a way to do that without taking your hands off the bars. :rolleyes:
You mean one that eventually blows out because it's using the seals to try and hold the oil in on every impact? That sounds excellent!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I rarely use lockouts, is that really still a problem? I mean, everything eventually blows (heh), but I feel like it's been quite some time since I've seen that kind of shock failure, particularly on an XC bike.

And don't get me wrong, this kind of UCI trolling is definitely a thing that's right.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
seen a few frame onlys turn up boxed with an aluminium or plastic tube/bar bolted between the shock mounting hardware over the years.

I wouldn't get too excited about it. Vader finished 37th out of 40 and the guy who won was on another roadie companies FS frame WITH it's shock
would be so great to see one of these guys running the plastic shock inserts, flexing all over the place, all to save 300g and fuck with the UCI rule book

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout