Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I had a white bike once. Never again
Yeah, it depends a lot on the bike, it's use and to some extent how you look after them. My current two white coloured bikes are a race BMX and a roadbike. While my mtbs are all either black or metal.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, it depends a lot on the bike, it's use and to some extent how you look after them. My current two white coloured bikes are a race BMX and a roadbike. While my mtbs are all either black or metal.
Fair point. I get mtbs are supposed to get dirty , but white mtbs look dirtier more easily

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I’m constantly amazed that Deity has grown in to a respected and wide ranging brand after their initial contribution to mtb being “like profiles, but white”

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Muck-off rim tape.

It went on in 1/5 the time that Stan's shit does cause it actually sticks to the fucking rim! It also formed to the profile of the rim without having to go around it twice and push the outer edges down. It's like someone said "Hey, let's try to make some good shit that works really well!".

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Muck-off rim tape.

It went on in 1/5 the time that Stan's shit does cause it actually sticks to the fucking rim! It also formed to the profile of the rim without having to go around it twice and push the outer edges down. It's like someone said "Hey, let's try to make some good shit that works really well!".
Not so much for me with Spanks fucked rim profile.
Tried it twice, neither time would it hold air overnight.
Rim-bed was clean, no residue and final wiped with rubbing alcohol and lots of dry time. First time was according to instructions, a single wrap. Second go around I tried a double wrap. Both time when I pulled the tire, there was sealant between rim-bed and tape.

Back to a double wrap of Kapton tape with no issues.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Rim-bed was clean, no residue and final wiped with rubbing alcohol and lots of dry time. First time was according to instructions, a single wrap. Second go around I tried a double wrap. Both time when I pulled the tire, there was sealant between rim-bed and tape.

On my spanks I only ran the tape in the deep channel. Nothing in those ridges. I figured that would defeat the purpose of the ridges. On those I used Velocity tape.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Yeah…that is a really dumb profile. I have one.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Muck-off rim tape.

Try to remove it now!!! (apparently it's shit to remove and leaves a lot of residue... I'll see if it's true this weekend though).

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
If you're having trouble getting rim tape to seal, after applying the tape, put in a tube, then tire. Inflate to max psi. Let sit over night. Should be good to go for tubeless. That's how the bro's roll :)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Kinda surprised more rim companies haven't found a way to bypass or licence Mavic's UST system patent. I've got a pari of Deemax that came on my Mega and I was super dubious of them at first but its grown on me heaps. Dead simple to work with and hassle free. Plus you can go crazy brutal and ignorant doing tyre plugs and tyre levers without stabbing or wrecking the rim tape.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Kinda surprised more rim companies haven't found a way to bypass or licence Mavic's UST system patent. I've got a pari of Deemax that came on my Mega and I was super dubious of them at first but its grown on me heaps. Dead simple to work with and hassle free. Plus you can go crazy brutal and ignorant doing tyre plugs and tyre levers without stabbing or wrecking the rim tape.
I'm pretty sure that patent is expired - https://patents.google.com/patent/US6257676

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
If you're having trouble getting rim tape to seal, after applying the tape, put in a tube, then tire. Inflate to max psi. Let sit over night. Should be good to go for tubeless. That's how the bro's roll :)
I thought tape, was meant to be sticky?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Can confirm this to be true, however, it seems like changing a bicycle tire in 2023 shouldn't be a 12-24 hour process. I believe that a better world is possible.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
The Masters brothers are definitely what’s right with the industry. Ed’s videos are always good. As someone who has never weighed a bike, I was surprised at the guys who ride a bike for a living don’t give a shit either. And was shocked at how light the Nukeproof Giga was. And that Ancilotti…drool.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
shocked at how light
I'm MOAR shocked punters think 34lb is light for a no expense spared carbon Enduro bike. My fairly stock/poverty spec 5yr old YT Capra is 30lb on the nose with exos or 31 and a bit with DH casings

Enduro is weird tho. riding a 40lb bike with draggy tyres uphill ALL day? Er.. Nah! I'll stay in bed thanks.

Last edited: