Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I really screwed up, there is a long rear end for my frame, I already have the short one, also should have got a coil shock then I would have all options.

Haven't rode my Steezl to find out what it is like, I hope this weekend.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Its the HSR on the Ohlins that may need help IME. I went back to middle 050 rebound tune. I think that’s sufficient. Still testing my compression tune, not sure about that one.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have two Outbound Lighting lights, a 2020 era Trail Edition (external battery era) and a 2022 Hangover helmet model. I emailed support at midnight to figure out how to set them to flashing mode for on-road adventures, and at 7:02 AM Tom Place, one of the co-owners, emailed me back.

Hey Toshi, Hangover has two "be seen" modes accessed by holding the power button down for 3 seconds from OFF. It will enter Daytime Strobe, which is an aggressive triple-blink to get attention in bright ambient conditions, and then clicking will cycle to Nighttime Pulse mode, which is a smoother pulse that won't destroy the night vision of oncoming drivers in dark ambient conditions. All new products have the same be-seen modes accessed in the same way.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0557/5848/7723/files/Hangover_Manual_web.pdf?v=1654013479

For the Trail Edition, it had a single and much more basic be-seen mode accessed by triple-clicking the power button from off. Hope this helps!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thanks @Bikael Molton , I have a 2020 Meta AM so this is good to hear. Mine isn't that bad alignment-wise in general, but when I bolt one end of the shock, the other end arrives perfectly in line with the hole, so I should be good.

I prefer fast rebound and a planted feel, so it seems like I will love this shock.

@bullcrew The guy who answered my email was Jake. He seems really helpful and knowledgeable!
He's a good dude....shoot the shit about a lot of stuff and projects as well as tuning etc..he gets answers if he doesn't have em and stays on top of stuff

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Just wanted to comment on Ohlins customer support. Gave them a shout before some big show, but they answered my questions, and they were really good about being responsive. And the fact that the big Oh works. and works well!! My TTX is way better than my Fox X2. At least on my Ripmo. First gen. So happy with the Oh!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
710USD to your door, without shock-
View attachment 197572
Yay for the falling rate single pivot. This isn't as falling rate as some...but I guess this is an XC bike or something, since it's optimized for air shocks.
1690105252383.jpg

Single pivot bikes can be done right, but you gotta push the rear eyelet way back behind the ST or use a yoke or something if you want to mount the shock on the DT. And they even still rotate the front end down a bit more, for more progression.

1690345422458.png

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah but there's a couple of people like me out there that don't really give a fuck and just want something easy to service. I don't race and I'm not a great rider, hell, I even like air shocks over coil.

My frame is more digressive than that one but it's still pretty fancy compared to the hardtails I had before it.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Yay for the falling rate single pivot. This isn't as falling rate as some...but I guess this is an XC bike or something, since it's optimized for air shocks.
that one looks ok. though because you can specify custom everything & the forward shock mount just ends up where it ends up to fit everything in, some of the customer designs end up on the (very) questionable side. ie:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
View attachment 197649

Single pivot bikes can be done right, but you gotta push the rear eyelet way back behind the ST or use a yoke or something if you want to mount the shock on the DT. And they even still rotate the front end down a bit more, for more progression.

View attachment 197650

A coil sprung DH bike and a short travel air sprung bike have different design requirements?

No way.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
This is a cool read. Not really sure it's "right" with the industry. Having to spend around $12,000 USD for one month in euroland to race your bike at the elite level. But still, good read.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Says company making falling rate bike with coil shock…
Yeah he makes some confusing reads, I find them pretty funny.
I know my bike is a shit design and I don't try to stick up for it, aside from maintenance I'd imagine it performs worse than any other suspension design.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm hoping FOX installed steel shafts on those shocks, because apparently they don't approve their coil shocks for bikes using a yoke like those YTs.
Apparently the DHX (vs DHX2) has a steel larger diameter shaft compared to the DHX2, and is approved for certain combinations of yoke+stroke lengths. I don't have a link, but apparently they have a chart on their webpage so you can figure it out.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
That's what I thought looking at the shock (steel shafts are often chromed and it looks a bit bigger). That would explain the spec and it's indeed a great spec for the price!

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Apparently the DHX (vs DHX2) has a steel larger diameter shaft compared to the DHX2, and is approved for certain combinations of yoke+stroke lengths. I don't have a link, but apparently they have a chart on their webpage so you can figure it out.
yep:

Shock StrokeMax Strut Length*
Standard EyeletTrunnion Eyelet
40mm-45mm118mm76mm
50mm-55mm98mm56mm
60mm-65mm72mm36mm
70mm-75mm37mm16mm

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1138

Last edited:

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
the cf version is nearly as heavy as my alu bike

16.4 kg in s :sarcastic:
They are heavy bikes but it's still a pretty sweet deal given the part spec. Not everyone is making swiss cheese.

I thought my Capra was pretty good. Too progressive with an air shock but felt perfect with a DHX2 and a lighter frame than most 170mm. That was carbon, but the peasant version should be about the same.
I'm happy with mine. A fun bike. Sure it rides like it had less travel but I still enjoy it. The only thing that bums me is not having as much time to ride it as I want and so I have to mostly be content with local trails which are meh.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
DHX is a much better platform than the DHX2 in addition to being more robust.

Very easy to tune, a simple base valve with shims. LSC controls a bleed across the base valve. RockShox style IFP fill, no needle required. Stroke externally adjustable from 57.5mm to 65mm for the big ones.

You can find brand new takeoffs on PB for $300-$350. Best coil Fox makes. :thumb:

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Its pretty obvious some of these brands are increasing the weight in hopes to bring the strength up, so they have less failures when someone is "just riding along".
My Scout is pretty heavy for CF frame. Guess it's the compromise for the lifetime warranty.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Italians from dhsign.it have made spherical bushings that fit into standard eyelets:

Their solution seems to be patented...
Now THAT is interesting. Not that I have issues with blowing up shocks, but I remember Steve from Vorsprung saying something along the lines that trunnion shocks are too stiff and have no give at that end. Whereas normal eyelets can flex and move a bit to alleviate some stress on the shock when the suspension moves.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Now THAT is interesting. Not that I have issues with blowing up shocks, but I remember Steve from Vorsprung saying something along the lines that trunnion shocks are too stiff and have no give at that end. Whereas normal eyelets can flex and move a bit to alleviate some stress on the shock when the suspension moves.
Also because with the Push 11-6 and the new Vorsprung shock, you run into clearance issues when the end of the shock is right up against a frame member. They are specing spherical bearings on both of those and they use up more real-estate, effectively making the eyelet a lot "thicker" and sticking out further...which doesn't work for every bike. Vorsprung *might* offer a non-spherical option based on my conversations with em, but not set in stone at all.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Italians from dhsign.it have made spherical bushings that fit into standard eyelets:

Their solution seems to be patented...
@Balgaroth did you have issue with durability on those?