Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Wider bars, dual suspension and dropper posts being used for XC is a win in my books. Was a sweet track. There's people who shuttle trails less gnarly than Olympic XC is now.
The commentators were talking about modern bikes so I thought they might be quite a bit slacker than they used to be but most still seem to be ~69deg HA.
This wasn't racing but it's good to see that you can get decent XC geo on a hardtail these days-
1627462112283.png

The base level aluminum bike is something like 1000USD.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
You can definitely still shred on a steeper head angle. My sov with angle set is somewhere near 68 I think/hope… and it’s up for things like we saw on tv and more.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The commentators
the commentators were terrible. the footage was good, but the editing and broadcast itself were bad. the womens' coverage was truncated (started 30 min into the race, cut out after top 10 finishers), and outside of the start they never showed anyone outside the top 10.

it was a great course though. by xc standards that is.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The commentators were talking about modern bikes so I thought they might be quite a bit slacker than they used to be but most still seem to be ~69deg HA.
This wasn't racing but it's good to see that you can get decent XC geo on a hardtail these days-
View attachment 162735

The base level aluminum bike is something like 1000USD.
XC Bikes are a hell of a lot longer than they used to be so they aren't endo machines anymore.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
the womens' coverage was truncated (started 30 min into the race, cut out after top 10 finishers),
Really?! That sucks. here in Canada, CBC had the whole race on replay, including the presentation of medals. So emotional! All the action happened in the first lap, so you would have missed the best part. :butcher:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
XC Bikes are a hell of a lot longer than they used to be so they aren't endo machines anymore.
longer bikes are harder to get behind and hence are endo machines for a different reason.

only difference now is that they don't get knocked out from underneath you and they do roll better on the front wheel with wagonweelz

This weird manicured pony loop shit is an absolute affront to our countersteering history of drift performed by our mansonmurder looking ancestors

spandex and ponytails don't make up for it, harumph I say!

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Mmmm
With a 62-63 head angle 46-48mm might be a better choice to be comparable to a 44mm in the 64-65 head angle range.
I’ll take that into consideration but the relationship between HA, offset, and wheel size (I guess that’s trail?) is a little too complicated for me. All I know is when I switched the crown on my 29” Capra from 51(?) to 44 I immediately preferred it and while I love my current Gambler and 40 the front wheel seems to swing or flop too much. I just have to try a 48 or 44 and see if I prefer it. The current availability issue means I’ll probably have that choice made for me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Supposedly he thought the ramp from training was still there
yolanda neff: hold my beer

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
MvdP is a badass and his crash was just an embarrassment. Tons of effort and sacrifice wasted by lack of communication. The other fine example was the women's road race, in which they didn't realize the eventual winner was still off the front when they caught two riders from a breakaway (complete with finish line celebration, etc.).

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I swear MVDP just got race fever or something and fucked up. That crash was stupid as.

The coverage here was good, full uninterrupted from start to finish including ceremonies. The course was what I liked, decent flow mostly, no prolonged climbs and enough tricky sections to let the better tech riders take advantage. A lot of XC race tracks are horrible things but that one looked good and also filmed well for the coverage.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
back when I used to give a shit about the mass marketing spectacle olympics, I used a VPN to watch canadian broadcasts. Civilized first world countries actually show events at least and not hours and hours of bullshit with abbreviated highlights. Just an fyi for us who live with freedom.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The 44 offset crowns on the new 29” Fox 40 feel great. After putting them on I did some laps on a very narrow pump track and immediately noted the lack of flop and the low speed and tight steering I wanted. The next day I did 5 laps of the Champery WC track. The bike felt great in turns and I didn’t miss the slight reduction in wheelbase or note any lack of stability or Endo-resistance. This was my one concern going in because the day before my bike had performed exceptionally on Morgins’ steepest trail and the Champery course was wet and had some very steep rooty step sections. My conclusion is this is the offset the fork should come with. The caveat being, I always feel confident on steeps and at speed and tend to lose time in turns.

One other observation: 29” DH bikes at below-race-speeds are stupid easy to ride. I made several mistakes yesterday that should have resulted in crashes but didn’t. I guess that’s cool in the way good suspension helps you ride difficult terrain with greater ease but I can’t help feel like I’m cheating. I guess the solution is to turn up the pace but that feels unnecessarily dangerous when on a slippery track with no trophy waiting at the finish line. In the end I’m a convert. The new bike was a ton of fun and it was great to finish the day without any falls. I would have had less fun on my last DH bike, a 26” 2012 V10.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
eating shit at speed sounds way more fun than a 29er dh bike on a pump track
@Lelandjt Came and sent some DH laps with the OG crew in Morgins.

I now have proof that at least one guy on the DH forum still pulls up on the ol handlebars.
Now it’s your turn Woo. Come on over here, bring your V10 and leave your exercise bike at home.

E5490709-2473-40CB-A506-79C8FD02574E.jpeg

I still say we get a bunch of you fuckers out here all in the same chalet at the same time. We can have a beer or two, take some naps, argue about enthusiast theoretical bullshit and maybe even ride bicycles.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
??

Can you make everyone who picked up mountainbiking in the last 3 years quit?

I want you to come dirbiking with me in Idaho. You ever visit the scott sports joint south of salt lake?
Just ride spots where they would quit on day one and you are good. We have it all to ourselves...
Fuck would I love to come and ride dirt bikes with you! I would definitely not visit Scott and just ride.
I would like a plane ticket, a rental car, and a few weeks at a nice chalet!
I don’t have any of those but I do have lots of bike parts, beers and some other things. Our trails don’t have any brake bumps currently? That should be good for something, right?

But seriously, let’s maybe think about it?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You riding backwoods...Idaho has over 3k miles of off-road trails...we did a ton up north by mt Idaho crooked creek etc north of grangeville...
All I've seen is the ketchum-stanley area and that alone seems like a lifetime. Looks like grangeville ties into some of the stuff out of mccall......the other on the list. Singletrack......the stuff a mountainbiker would ride. That's where I go. I'd love to take Bucko on some of that just say "everything we just rode is completely legal"

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
All I've seen is the ketchum-stanley area and that alone seems like a lifetime. Looks like grangeville ties into some of the stuff out of mccall......the other on the list. Singletrack......the stuff a mountainbiker would ride. That's where I go. I'd love to take Bucko on some of that just say "everything we just rode is completely legal"
That sounds real good!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just ride spots where they would quit on day one and you are good. We have it all to ourselves...
Fuck would I love to come and ride dirt bikes with you! I would definitely not visit Scott and just ride.

I don’t have any of those but I do have lots of bike parts, beers and some other things. Our trails don’t have any brake bumps currently? That should be good for something, right?

But seriously, let’s maybe think about it?
You ditching a bunch of fox stuff or something? My mtb stuff is so beat, I just need to buy new forks. Nothing parts would fix. It's not a matter of riding further or longer anymore. There are just too many fucking people screwing up trails and too many trail Karen's on the illegal stuff we used to ride whipping out their cell phones. I'm over it. I just ride my dirtbikes and outrun stupidity now.

Think about a trip. It's a day's drive for me and easy to get to from salt lake (IE I can pick you up). We can find a bike or two for you.