Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
OK, so I get the attraction of flat pedals, but each time I tried to run them on a DH bike (three separate times), I never got more than a couple of months out of them. I'd smash the platform on rocks and just destroy them. So not a question of maintenance or anything, but flat out destruction. How do you guys make them survive so long?!?!
stop hitting shit?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
OK, so I get the attraction of flat pedals, but each time I tried to run them on a DH bike (three separate times), I never got more than a couple of months out of them. I'd smash the platform on rocks and just destroy them. So not a question of maintenance or anything, but flat out destruction. How do you guys make them survive so long?!?!
Flow trails

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
If you're hitting your flat pedals off everything but don't do the same with clips I can only guess you're struggling with crank/foot positioning, lifting the bike and keeping both feet on.
All of the above require the rider to pre-load flat pedals in advance and whereas clips not so much. Rider weight positioning/shift can also become more important in technical obsticle littered trails on flats.

Also. Are you mainly smashing your rearward pedal?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you're hitting your flat pedals off everything but don't do the same with clips I can only guess you're struggling with crank/foot positioning, lifting the bike and keeping both feet on.
All of the above require the rider to pre-load flat pedals in advance and whereas clips not so much. Rider weight positioning/shift can also become more important in technical obsticle littered trails on flats.

Also. Are you mainly smashing your rearward pedal?
Yeah this probably. I didn't get more pedal strikes when I went from clips to flats 12 years ago. Second the positioning of your weight/body.

Also to me clips not named shimano DX always lasted shorter because all that was available were crank and time pedals and each one of those had issues but I assume 2022 versions of them are a bit better.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
You don't need to buy baller flat pedals though. You can still get fookers for $25 on Amazon. The seals aren't as good as chesters but you can just replace the whole pedal every few seasons when the pins are worn at that price and the bearings will still be fine.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
#firstworldproblems

Wellgo, VP and HT actually make most of those big brand pedals. You can find decent concave platform pedals with reverse fed pins, bearings and OK seals in their catalogs for less than 50 bucks. You won't get the bling factor, but you'll save a good chunk of cash while just missing a nice logo.

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
#firstworldproblems

Wellgo, VP and HT actually make most of those big brand pedals. You can find decent concave platform pedals with reverse fed pins, bearings and OK seals in their catalogs for less than 50 bucks. You won't get the bling factor, but you'll save a good chunk of cash just while just missing a nice logo.
Just make sure it's not those nasty ht with the external unsealed bearing.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Hmmm...Major League Baseball (Colorado Rockies) taking their new look from Loris and Trek?!?!

Green is the new black...

CO Rockies Green.jpg
Loris Green.jpg

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
"They also have new tools for brake bleeding: Hope will upload files on their website for free, so you can print these parts at home with a 3D printer. "

Hell yeah thats cool. Now I'm off to find someone with a 3D printer

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
"They also have new tools for brake bleeding: Hope will upload files on their website for free, so you can print these parts at home with a 3D printer. "

Now that's something right with the industry.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Hope actually sell their own in house manufactured bleed kit for those brakes.
Pretty much every other brake manufacturer's bleed kit is less of a PITA to use.
Having said that there's nothing wrong with your approach at all

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Waiting to see more on these new tools..
1658265984841.png

Thats them there. I dunno what the black thingy is, the others are self explanatory. I really like the doohickey that lets you advance one piston for lubing/cleaning etc.

Hope bleeding procedure belongs in the other thread.
God I wanted them to put a bleed port on the master for the Tech 4. FFS Hope.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Hope bleeding procedure belongs in the other thread.
Open the 8mm

Squeeze the lever

Close the 8mm

Release the lever

Repeat.

Top off the oil. Put cap back on.

Shimano is what's wrong with The Industry. 12 different ways to bleed a brake that randomly works?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Open the 8mm

Squeeze the lever

Close the 8mm

Release the lever

Repeat.

Top off the oil. Put cap back on.

Shimano is what's wrong with The Industry. 12 different ways to bleed a brake that randomly works?
It doesn’t work great, air gets trapped at the caliper pistons, doesn’t come out, plus, and this is the real issue, you are fighting gravity and not using any suction. You’ll see they get all hokey with pushing the pistons and spreading them apart again trying to get rid of the caliber bubbles. The bubbles that wouldn’t get trapped in the first place if it wasn’t that bat-shit crazy backwards procedure.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Lulz the procedure for bleeding Hope brakes with a hardware store piece of tubing and a bottle works perfectly. As it does with all car brakes everywhere and all motorcycle brakes everywhere. No fiddlefucking required.

The only modification I make to that procedure is to flush a bunch of fluid through quickly while leaving the bleeder open, then do a few cycles of closing it. I do this once or twice a year on my 5 or 6 year old Hope E4s. There's no air in them. Everybody who tries my bike can't get over how awesome the brakes work and feel.

A year ago I finally replaced the master cylinder seals which took all of 10 minutes and didn't even require a bleed since I just laid the bike on its side for each one and put a couple cc more fluid in before the piston.

The magic behind getting any non-floating 4-piston caliper to feel nice and crisp is in the caliper alignment and piston alignment. 9 times out of 10 people who are excessively trying to bleed out a shitty lever feel are just putting the rotor into 3 point bending and the lever feels like swampass.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The magic behind getting any non-floating 4-piston caliper to feel nice and crisp is in the caliper alignment and piston alignment. 9 times out of 10 people who are excessively trying to bleed out a shitty lever feel are just putting the rotor into 3 point bending and the lever feels like swampass.
Bent, worn or warped rotors cause way more shit than people think hey. It's stupid easy to bleed a brake mint with a bleed block in it and then have it feel rubbish with a spinning wheel because of a bad rotor.

Whats FUCKING WRONG with the industry is getting non-straight brand new rotors out of the box. Goddamn that shits me.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

Does it print some Magura brakes?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Does it print some Magura brakes?
Lol every Magura owner I know has broken the lever retention mechanism. Including Magura sponsored riders now using cable ties to hold their levers from hyper extending.

Plus they use wood screws for every fitting. Stuff those things. The Shiguras are rad tho.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Lol every Magura owner I know has broken the lever retention mechanism. Including Magura sponsored riders now using cable ties to hold their levers from hyper extending.

Plus they use wood screws for every fitting. Stuff those things. The Shiguras are rad tho.
Does that still happen? It did with my MT8s, was properly dangerous, mud seemed to chew the sphincter bit out then the lever assembly was farked.
I have had no issues with my MT5s in three years, hopefully the 7s will be the same.

Haven't had Hopes for around 12yrs, I'd assume they are not complete shit these days.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Does that still happen? It did with my MT8s, was properly dangerous, mud seemed to chew the sphincter bit out then the lever assembly was farked.
I have had no issues with my MT5s in three years, hopefully the 7s will be the same.

Haven't had Hopes for around 12yrs, I'd assume they are not complete shit these days.
The MT7s that came on my buddy's Specialized had the little retention slip pop out twice in like 2 months (once when bike fell over when leaned against a tree, the other time when I crashed it :oops:). I got it back both times but it required some careful work with a dental pick. I never had that issue with the HC3 levers in a few years of owning those - so it must be something with the layout of their longer levers.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Opinions?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Opinions?

ur in the wrong thread: