Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Maybe 26s feel sketchy because of the "dated" geometry?
Partly. Yeah. But the flipside to that is modern geometry simply isn't as responsive/direct.
one other thing I always notice is how heavy modern trail/derp bikes are in comparison to the older 26" equivalent and a far lighter bike also gives the feeling of a less planted/stable ride but is much less responsive for it.

26" Slope, DJ/4X geometry hasn't really changed in a decade.
But the average mtb rider and what they ride definitely has (around here anyway).

My enduro bike (Capra) is still on 26 and sub 65. it's a M and short AF by todays standards at 420mm reach but it gains stability from the lower BB. But yeah anyone coming from a modern bike finds it unridabru. I still love how easy it is to pop and don't mind that it's not as stable as a bigger bike. I actually rode a L of the same era recently (27.5 and 25mm longer reach) and still prefered mine
It has a 75deg seat angle. so not far off your 76+ criteria. I actually hate modern super steep (78deg or over) seat angles. They put the riders hips too far forward pedalling mellow climbs and make any seated riding on the flat just feel wrong.
I get to swing a leg over modern bikes all the time so know fine what I'd gain from having one. But I also know what I'd be losing out on.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Back to back corners is actually the only place I'm still quicker than my fastest (much younger) riding mates. They're all on 29. While it seems like I'm the last 26 hold out in my entire area. None of them feel safe riding anything on my bikes. Genuinely
I too have ridden 27.5 for a good while. And noticed when swapping back to 26 it tended to feel a little sketchy at first (a bit like swapping from 26" mtb to 20" BMX but more subtle) but i far prefer l'il sketchy bikes again just now. I have so many different bikes because I tend to lose interest if I don't swap riding/bikes from time to time .
You're totally right that longer bikes with 27.5 are easier to hold a drift/skid than a short 26" bike, mannies and wheelies are also easier to hold on bigger wheel longer bikes. (but more effort to initiate). As we've had a super dry summer here this year I've been commuting 20 miles a day through the city on my Dartmoor 4X hardtail with a 210mm dropper. mainly so I can fuck around on one wheel through traffic (mannies downhill or on the flat, wheelies uphill), hop kerbs n shit and ride the odd cheeky urban line instead of obeying daft rules. Even though using my roadbike would be quicker. With it being such a dramatic change from my roadbike or 27.5 Emtb I really quickly realised just how much my skill level had dropped from riding bigger more stable bikes and wheels.
as long as you're having fun. kinda who cares, eh?

That's a shame man!
They're still a lot of fun

1662786577901.jpeg

gary, the only one riding 26“ in the village

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
the 5010 had only one use in my opinion, being one of the only options for short females with short inseams. how‘s the stand over height in the new ones?
Yeah, we'll see how the 29 front wheel affects top tube height. The other bike I sell in that category is the Ibis Mojo 3 which I suspect will live on because of Ibis' famously short designer. For the past couple years it's been lighter and more popular than the 5010.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
DH bikes are what’s right with the industry.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Who doesn't need a $85 Ti water bottle cage in pumpkin spice color? (Colour - for our overseas friends). It's limited edition! :)

Hmm...will the orange match my Fox Factory orange? Asking for a friend...

Pumpkin Spice

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Who doesn't need a $85 Ti water bottle cage in pumpkin spice color? (Colour - for our overseas friends). It's limited edition! :)

Hmm...will the orange match my Fox Factory orange? Asking for a friend...

Pumpkin Spice
FTS but did you see this?

:drool:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
FTS but did you see this?

:drool:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
They will probably get the Nobel price for their linkage :nerd:
Holy hell, so much wrong with that. This is why companies should have to publish the charts. Pedal kick that increases massively deep in travel? Regressive -> linear in middle of travel? Axle path that starts forward? :fie:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They will probably get the Nobel price for their linkage :nerd:
Wow, that's like an April 1st bike, like literally every kinematic is horrible. Regressive mid-stroke for an air shock? Kickback? AS on the opposite end of travel where you don't want it?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Holy hell, so much wrong with that. This is why companies should have to publish the charts. Pedal kick that increases massively deep in travel? Regressive -> linear in middle of travel? Axle path that starts forward? :fie:
Those numbers are so jacked up that I think the linkage analysis is wrong. Maybe that bike is a total clownshow, but Occam's razor and all that...

It's pretty easy to fuck up the analysis of a dual mini link bike from a side view photo since tiny changes can make a big difference, and that seems a lot more likely than a relatively major company making a bike that awful in 2022.