Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Those numbers are so jacked up that I think the linkage analysis is wrong. Maybe that bike is a total clownshow, but Occam's razor and all that...

It's pretty easy to fuck up the analysis of a dual mini link bike from a side view photo since tiny changes can make a big difference, and that seems a lot more likely than a relatively major company making a bike that awful in 2022.
But it's consistent with the last few Ghost bikes, kinematically, so it doesn't seem to be an outlier. I've kind of kept tabs on their kinematics over the years and they just seem to have no freaking idea, one of the horst-link-bandwagon brands that didn't really know how to design suspension. Now in the post-HL years, they really have no clue.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
But it's consistent with the last few Ghost bikes, kinematically, so it doesn't seem to be an outlier. I've kind of kept tabs on their kinematics over the years and they just seem to have no freaking idea, one of the horst-link-bandwagon brands that didn't really know how to design suspension. Now in the post-HL years, they really have no clue.
it‘s quite hard to attract talent if your hq is in the middle of nowhere right before the czech border...

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
it‘s quite hard to attract talent if your hq is in the middle of nowhere right before the czech border...
Whenever I asked my work mates from Katowice, Poland what was cool to do there they replied "we're just 10 minutes away from Czech Republic. Beer is cheaper than anywhere else in the world!".

If that along with German salaries aren't enough to attract talent, I don't know what else would work...

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Those numbers are so jacked up that I think the linkage analysis is wrong. Maybe that bike is a total clownshow, but Occam's razor and all that...

It's pretty easy to fuck up the analysis of a dual mini link bike from a side view photo since tiny changes can make a big difference, and that seems a lot more likely than a relatively major company making a bike that awful in 2022.
Exactly. It would be interesting to compare the predicted ride vs an actual ride. The results might speak a bit (at least) about the validity of these kinds of analyses.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
interesting response by tony:

jmm said...
Wow, that's really bad. Terrible kinematics in every category. Kickback, regressive mid-stroke, high anti-squat at the end of travel. It's got to be a joke.

SEPTEMBER 18, 2022, 4:55 P.M.

Antonio Osuna
said...
I disagree, I really like it and maybe it's a bit of a compromise, but for some people it's going to work really well.

Linear to progressive and even regressive to progressive leverage ratios work very well if you ride in natural trails and Spain is 99% natural, so it's going to work really well here. If you ride in Trailcenters you still have the option to mount a coil shock and it will work a lot better in that situation.

Then you have the High Pedal-kickback and the weird AS curve... It looks bad "on paper" but nobody is pedaling that deep in the travel so it's not really a problem. Yeti and Santa Cruz AS curves look amazing on paper, but for the same reason, they don't work as good as they look.

A rising AS Curve works extremely well because it's "self centering". If you are climbing and the sag get's too big, the pedaling force it's going to bring it back to the original position, but once it's there, it's not going to extend any more. In some VPP systems this can become a vicious circle and the bike can extend too much or bob too much. AS Force extend the suspension, in the next position AS is even bigger so it extends a bit more...

And the axle path is nice too. Most of the time you need a HP with an idler to get that type of results.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I agree with him somewhat. The spring rate and as has some pretty good points, the spring rate starting off like that with an air spring is going ride lower in the travel and fast people aren’t going to like the wallowy feel in berms or the lower ride height smashing through chunk, but for a beginner rider or slow intermediate the softer ride in small the medium hits will be nice, double on am e-bike where you’re going to sit and pedal in stuff where a normal bike would be standing. The pedal kickback though, that sucks but maybe the e-bike motor and low engagement hub that it probably comes with might mask it. But on a vpp bike without idler there’s no way to get that anti squat profile without getting that kickback. His defense of the axle path is straight crank pipe. But on the other hand he might not be the axle goes rewards from sag in both directions, so it also moves backwards when the wheel drops into a hole, that might actually feel good.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The bikes I've had that were regressive anywhere near the sag point were a total motherfucker to get feeling right. The last one, a Sentinel v1, I could literally change the air pressure 30 psi and still get the same sag measurement, because the regressive hump made it want to drop back to the sag point.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm going to put my "positive" hat on and say this is good.

But really, ugh...climbing the Whole Enchilada?! Like no.

I like from the preview the filmer says (on a particular troubling move, even if you're doing it downhill) "Is it possible?" and he goes "yes?"

"Yes?" Exactly. Looks like it could be good. I would NEVER do that though. Having done the Whole Enchilada a bunch of times. As a Coloradoan, it's like going to Mecca. Going up? The opposite way? No way. That's not why you ride that trail. But for him? Sure.

https://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Trailer-Climbing-the-Whole-Enchilada-8-600-Feet-with-Braydon-Bringhurst,40385/sspomer,2

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
All of my GPS tracks from numerous rides down are ~8200ft descending. Not sure what he's climbing to get the extra 400ft, unless that's including the 50+ attemps on the snotch :D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just listened to the Downtime podcast with the guys behind the US Open event. $15,000 USD prizemoney stumped up for 1st place is friggen awesome

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
I was there with a bunch of friends. Really fun weekend. Friday night was pints with Peaty at a local bar/distillery. Turned into pints with Peaty, Minnar, Goldstone and Hoffman. Dual slalom on Friday afternoon was kinda meh. The course was short and boring. As a spectator anyway. Maybe it was fun to ride. Whip off Saturday was great. I thought Goldstone should’ve won. The kid who won laid some great whips down though. T Mac was throwing some good tricks. The DH race was run on a fun technical trail, but pretty flat and short. Peaty even raced it. They said they couldn’t run the course from the top of the gondola because of the new lodge construction at the bottom. Hopefully that’ll be done for next year. And hopefully they’ll schedule it so there’ll be a better turnout of the top guys and girls. Props to Jill Kitner for second place only 3 seconds behind Hoffman.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I wonder what carbon rear end he's going to use for that project? Surely a 4-bar one... like a Gambler? :brows:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
wasn't sure where to post this, maybe the racing thread? but there isn't one anymore :think:

anyhoo, it certainly fits with "what's right with the industry"

I wonder where he gets those ideas from.... hmmmm let me think...
Neko and I are friends. We share ideas and talk about bike design ideas/suspension stuff a lot over the years. I like those conversations with him and he’s very clued in, imo. We had some beers in Les Gets at Worlds and he told me about his carbon rear end and steel front plans.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Neko and I are friends. We had some beers in Les Gets at Worlds and he told me about his carbon rear end and steel front plans.
So Neko plys his multitalented buddy who happens to work with Scott with drink and hints all night long at how much he'd love a steel frame, carbon rear Gambler. :brows:
Then said buddy staggers home alone to his bong shed to drunkenly weld up a whole batch for himself and the Mrs? :rockout:
Over here we all too often sadly tend to just settle for a Kebab to quash our drunken dreams.
Vive la France/Suisse/Mercan

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
He subscribed to your newsletter, and your ideas are intriguing to him. :D
@iRider Wrote the newsletter. He’s the wordsmith.
So Neko plys his multitalented buddy who happens to work with Scott with drink and hints all night long at how much he'd love a steel frame, carbon rear Gambler. :brows:
Then said buddy staggers home alone to his bong shed to drunkenly weld up a whole batch for himself and the Mrs? :rockout:
Over here we all too often sadly tend to just settle for a Kebab to quash our drunken dreams.
Vive la France/Suisse/Mercan
They don’t do the bongs here. It’s more a Dutch cone shed.
Raaw Ruben and Pinkbike Dan are in on it too. Where do they fit in? It’s a conspiracy I tell you.

Last edited:

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW

Riders with the UCI points to race World Cups, and the intention to do so in 2023, interested in riding our DH frame can reach out to us for all the technical details on the bike. We will offer a 45% discount and to assure ample quality time on the new bike before next season, we will ship the privateer support frames with air freight instead of sea freight from Taiwan to our HQ in Germany, meaning they will be available before the end of this year.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There are places where if i was just rec riding id drop, but i keep it up to get an extra half pedal stroke in or extra second of pedaling, because lowering would momentarily pause this. Im trying to get a few wheel lengths on the rider behind me.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There are places where if i was just rec riding id drop, but i keep it up to get an extra half pedal stroke in or extra second of pedaling, because lowering would momentarily pause this. Im trying to get a few wheel lengths on the rider behind me.
basically the way it works is the air tank is pressurized and activates the dropping. the return to full height is done with a coil spring. the pressure in the air tank is high enough it will compress the spring, but eventually drops enough that it stops working, but then the post will still function like a normal dropper - eg can be lowered by sitting on it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've always thought a self dropping dropper would be awesome. But not for managing cadence.
I drop/alter my saddle height all the time while commuting. often while pedalling with no notable change in cadence.
If you're serious about struggling to keep pedalling while lowering a dropper go out and practice it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've always thought a self dropping dropper would be awesome. But not for managing cadence.
I drop/alter my saddle height all the time while commuting. often while pedalling with no notable change in cadence.
If you're serious about struggling to keep pedalling while lowering a dropper go out and practice it.
my comment about cadence was really directed at the dirt roadies racing XCO

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Fair enough. Thanks for confirming but my ever helpful advice still stands whether you're clipped in or on flats, a lycra wearing XC rider, everyday commuter right through to those still too cool for lycra or skinny tyres older ex DH riders. :brows: