Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
80mm is just too small though, 100mm absolute min for me, infinitely adjust, but 120 is more my xc min that id feel comfortable with.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Haven't read the article yet. But Yeah, I like the idea of the dropper lowering on it's own. Not by using my ass to lower.

But it's not that big of a deal either. If I had the choice of one seat post that did or did not automatically let the seat drop??

Answer: Let the seat drop!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fair enough. Thanks for confirming but my ever helpful advice still stands whether you're clipped in or on flats, a lycra wearing XC rider, everyday commuter right through to those still too cool for lycra or skinny tyres older ex DH riders. :brows:
i thought it would have been obvious given that its only being offered by BME on their 3 highest tier XC bikes.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
i thought it would have been obvious given that its only being offered by BME on their 3 highest tier XC bikes.
Yeah. I didn't actually bother looking.
I was simply sharing my thoughts on dropper posts that actually do what the name suggests. So far we've only really had raiser posts.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'm also surprised more manufacturers haven't explored dropper seat tubes incorporated into frame designs.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I'm also surprised more manufacturers haven't explored dropper seat tubes incorporated into frame designs.
uhm, ze germans did and do

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
OK, Imma gonna be that guy.

After many years of laughing at this meme, I just gotta ask were the fuck did the skinsuit meme image come from?
Who is the dude, context?

I feel I should know this, it feels like it is just a the periphery of my memory.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

After many years of laughing at this meme, I just gotta ask were the fuck did the skinsuit meme image come from?

I feel I should know this, it feels like it is just a the periphery of my memory.
One of the Earthed videos, I would like to say 5.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001

Same here. I find it funny every time I see it, but I can't help thinking I probably don't know the (actual) funniest part about it.

On a related note: Considering DH went from skinsuits to supersized XXXL clothes to the current tightly-fitting jerseys and pants, I'd say the current race-wear fashion is clearly something that is right with The Industry.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No, its not.
Except a lycra'd up gooch over loose fitting pants/shorts gives you well over 20mm extra crotch clearance.
And the fact riding clips means the rider doesn't need to preload the pedals anywhere near as much or squat anywhere near as low as a rider does with flats or require such a dynamic range of foot/ankle movement in order to perform the same maneuvers. Not to mention the lack of need for such body positioning at all to increase pedal grip.
Taking hopping or jumping as an example. If its possible for most technically skilled CX riders to bunnyhop 2ft with a full height saddle it stands to reason 80mm more crotch clearance will make that maneuver a piece if piss.
Steeper looser terrain is also massively more manageable with just an 80mm lower saddle.

So just because you feel you personally require more doesn't negate the fact for XC 80mm saddle drop is tons.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
uhm, ze germans did and do

yeah. I'm well aware of those. Hence me saying "more" manufacturers.
Remember the days of bolt on seat towers? I'm also surprised no one I'm aware of ever tried designing a frame with one joined to the front triangle by some sort of linkage so the actual seat tube moved (as an alternative to a telescopic tube)

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Remember the days of bolt on seat towers? I'm also surprised no one ever tried designing one joined to the front triangle by some sort of linkage so the actual seat tube moved (as an alternative to a telescopic tube)
If you keep feeding The Industry ™ this kind of nightmare material, we might have to call a hit on you.

Just a warning.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just adding to the perks of still happily rollin around on 26 immune to the draw of (most) shiny shiny new new.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Except a lycra'd up gooch over loose fitting pants/shorts gives you well over 20mm extra crotch clearance.
And the fact riding clips means the rider doesn't need to preload the pedals anywhere near as much or squat anywhere near as low as a rider does with flats or require such a dynamic range of foot/ankle movement in order to perform the same maneuvers. Not to mention the lack of need for such body positioning at all to increase pedal grip.
Taking hopping or jumping as an example. If its possible for most technically skilled CX riders to bunnyhop 2ft with a full height saddle it stands to reason 80mm more crotch clearance will make that maneuver a piece if piss.
Steeper looser terrain is also massively more manageable with just an 80mm lower saddle.

So just because you feel you personally require more doesn't negate the fact for XC 80mm saddle drop is tons.
Are you still racing 90s NORBA fireroads?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
FWIW due to our wet climate and natural tracks 90s XC racing here was more technical than today's WC XCO. Infact sections of our old XC courses have been used in multiple EWS stages. Only those tracks were spruced up and decent drainage added for that .

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
No. I meant anyone like J who assumes 'Murca is the centre of the universe.

I'm not English.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria

I was out on a ride with our Tokyo Olympics XCO P17 pro last Sunday. Can confirm all you said up there. He was on his Fuel Ex gen5 blasting trails, jumping over all the stuff and very often didn't even drop his saddle. Very fast and skilled rider.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
80mm drop is actually tons if you're clipped in.wearing lycra.
Depends on your height. I see drop as a percentage of inseam. For my 34" legs, 80mm of drop doesn't change much. I use 125mm on my XC bike. Maybe I could live with 100 but 75 doesn't let me move around the bike much and doesn't get my CG very low. It's what I had on my first dropper and while better than nothing, doesn't provide the full advantage 125 does, even during a XC race.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Depends on your height. I see drop as a percentage of inseam. For my 34" legs, 80mm of drop doesn't change much. I use 125mm on my XC bike. Maybe I could live with 100 but 75 doesn't let me move around the bike much and doesn't get my CG very low.
I agree. We have very similar inseam measurement.
But like I said. Clips and lycra negates the need for as much drop. I'd assume you clip in but do you also race XC in lycra.

Shhhh.... I won't tell anyone if you don't.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Remember the days of bolt on seat towers? I'm also surprised no one I'm aware of ever tried designing a frame with one joined to the front triangle by some sort of linkage so the actual seat tube moved (as an alternative to a telescopic tube)
how about this bad boy (powerpost):

haha, god DAMN, this bike tho:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
But like I said. Clips and lycra negates the need for as much drop. I'd assume you clip in but do you also race XC in lycra.

I even own a skinsuit onsie - and I love it for long road rides. But don't tell anyone

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

Not only lycra, but usually a 1-piece skin suit! And I wear it not only for racing but every ride on my XC or trail bike and some rides on my enduro bike. Lighter, more comfortable, and more aero than my enduro duds. When you're this fast and good looking you can get away with almost anything!

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Ibis support in general and warranty. While doing routine maintenance, I found some cracking in the paint around the upper link mount area on the front triangle. Looks like separation or unbonding between the carbon and aluminum. They were quick to reply and I can deal directly with them!
20221015_175454.jpg
20221015_175547.jpg