Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I've had them on a bunch of bikes and they've been great. How'd you break 'em?
well, in truth, my friend busted his using a oneup pump, possibly less than delicately. But his pump usage appeared normal from 20ft away.

just cracked the top off it from the top 3-4 threads upward.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
well, in truth, my friend busted his using a oneup pump, possibly less than delicately. But his pump usage appeared normal from 20ft away.

just cracked the top off it from the top 3-4 threads upward.
Any aluminum valve stem can easily snap with lateral load. They require care when using a hand pump. Even indelicately removing a floor pump head can snap them. Once I learned this and have been careful about it I haven't broken any more.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, I was given some early this season. I broke one with ‘overzealous’ pumping. I sent them a note admitting that, and they sent me two pairs of the new version right away.
so, one step backward, two steps forward, or something like that?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Only time I've broken an aluminum valve (wasn't a Fillmore) was when I crashed and somehow put my foot through the wheel right at the valve in the process. No broken spokes, just karate kicked that shit straight off.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Haha, P Train.
P Train
Named after the New York City Subway lines, the P train is a mythical train whose riders demonstrate behavior which labels them a pussy. Most frequently used to describe a person who leaves the bar first or without sufficient reason when out with friends or colleagues. Also applicable to someone who exclusively drinks lite beer. Unlike the non fictional Subway lines, whose letter or number designations do not stand for anything, the P in 'P Train' stands for pussy.
Anthony: How many Amstel Lites have you had tonight?
Andy: One and a half, I'm wasted. I need to leave now.
Will: Its only 7:30, Andy's definitely riding the P Train tonight.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Amazing how so many folk have issues using something so simple as a valve!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Only time I've broken an aluminum valve (wasn't a Fillmore) was when I crashed and somehow put my foot through the wheel right at the valve in the process. No broken spokes, just karate kicked that shit straight off.
I'll pay you to keep a gopro mounted to your bike. I doubt it even matters where. Just the ones on camera alone are enough to convince me, you may be the best crasher I know

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'll pay you to keep a gopro mounted to your bike. I doubt it even matters where. Just the ones on camera alone are enough to convince me, you may be the best crasher I know
:rofl:

I'm trying to remember which ones there is photographic evidence of...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
cascadian enduro thing

fannypack involved
Oh yeah that one was awesome. I got stung by a bee on my lower back right before a blind drop, chaos ensued.

The one where I broke the valve wasn't really that cool, I just washed the rear out in a greasy corner and tried to hop over the bars to bail out. I cleared the bars without getting tripped up but came down with my foot through the rear wheel as the bike spun around.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Broke another Fillmore on my first stage last week. (One up pump as well). Using truly exceptional caution while pumping. This is three this year. There were a few pro mechanics at the event, we had a good discussion, all agreed that they are too fragile. I am interested in some brass ones, that would be an improvement.

(I put in an Easter egg here for you)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Broke another Fillmore on my first stage last week. (One up pump as well). Using truly exceptional caution while pumping. This is three this year. There were a few pro mechanics at the event, we had a good discussion, all agreed that they are too fragile. I am interested in some brass ones, that would be an improvement.

That looks like a "push to seal" pump. I don't like those because they press the valve into the rim, compressing the top o-ring and trying to let air in around the base of the valve in the rim. If your **** is tight enough it might not break the seal...but you are basically applying force in the direction that will break the seal, plus having to apply force on the valve the entire time. That and twist-to-seal/lock which eventually unscrews your core, my two least favorite connections. Lever-to-lock and push-to-lock (syncros, c-dale) are my favorites by far. The push-to-seal usually makes for the lightest and most compact pump...but works shitty as a pump.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee

Maybe try the ones from 76 projects ?