Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm content with brass valve stems. Seems like the last place one should go weight weenie and run a weak material.
A lot depends on the specific alloy, but brass isn't really that much stronger than aluminum. It is used for small parts in applications simply because it is easier to machine.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
A lot depends on the specific alloy, but brass isn't really that much stronger than aluminum. It is used for small parts in applications simply because it is easier to machine.
Hunh. Wonder how much the new Titanium Fillmores are gonna cost.
(I have never, ever snapped a brass valve in half in 40 years, so there’s that).

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Stainless seems like it could be a good material for a valve, but it wouldn’t be sexy marketing.

I’ve never broken a brass valve either.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Machining stainless kinda sucks. The inner stem of the Fillmore is a stainless piece that looks like a real PITA, which I assume is a big chunk of the price.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wait, how come no one has thought of using carbon fiber?
You are late to the party! They exist for a while:
Cheap and light, I got mutiple sets when PlanetX were dumping them at ridiculous prices. Cheaper than the aluminum versions.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Taj's cartoons are in MBUK now?
Did they finally ditch Jo Burt's Mint Sauce cartoon?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
YT just announced they are cutting prices on some of their bikes. Not sure it stays but 400E on some models is nice.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Probably, but rock sock just says, damper leaking, replace damper.

Cane creek still seems to be built with rebuild able parts.
RS tech docs are freely available, cover the whole procedure and are pretty much fool proof. And pretty much every individual part is available. (whether in stock is another hurdle)