Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just listened to the latest Making Up the Numbers podcast with interviews with Wyn Masters and Ronan Dunne. Both class acts, but Ronan is proper wild man and its a hilarious listen.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I emailed Outbound Lighting to ask to buy another Velcro battery cover as I have a battery (from my old iTuo light actually, but same form factor) whose cover has turned half into goo. They are sending me one for free. :)

I've had that Outbound light since 2020 but use my iTuo more since I actually want a focused pattern for my commute rather than the nice, diffuse light pattern Outbound shoots for.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
They’ve moved their production to china now. Used to be US.
I'd read that on their site while looking to get this repair done. They couldn't find a supplier in America who could do the work to their required volumes, at least I vaguely recall that's what was on their website.

The repair was done there in your town though I believe.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
New Vitus Mythique

Now that's some wholesome value, the likes of which I haven't seen much of since ~2018. Metal frame, predominantly SLX drivetrain, and decent suspension (Not MoCo!) all for $2599 for the top model.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've had that Outbound light since 2020 but use my iTuo more since I actually want a focused pattern
This is the main reason I'm reluctant to acquire an Outbound light. I've always felt I wanted a nice tight spot on my helmet, that illuminates the trail fair ahead, where my eyes are looking. I've often found that having light too close to my front wheel only serves to wash out my ability to see in the distance (as your eyes adjust to the level of light closest to you).

I've never had the opportunity to try these out (or know anyone who has them) and see for myself whether their vaunted beam pattern works for me. So it's good to get some real world feedback!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This is the main reason I'm reluctant to acquire an Outbound light. I've always felt I wanted a nice tight spot on my helmet, that illuminates the trail fair ahead, where my eyes are looking. I've often found that having light too close to my front wheel only serves to wash out my ability to see in the distance (as your eyes adjust to the level of light closest to you).

I've never had the opportunity to try these out (or know anyone who has them) and see for myself whether their vaunted beam pattern works for me. So it's good to get some real world feedback!
I'm also not using it for trail riding, but rather 20-25 mph e-bike commuting on a paved multiuse path. I do want focused, long throw light for that.

I might add in one of their helmet lights, though, as seeing around the corner really has no substitute and tech has advanced such that the battery is integrated, really a better option for helmets than a cable down one's neck.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm also not using it for trail riding, but rather 20-25 mph e-bike commuting on a paved multiuse path. I do want focused, long throw light for that.

I might add in one of their helmet lights, though, as seeing around the corner really has no substitute and tech has advanced such that the battery is integrated, really a better option for helmets than a cable down one's neck.
keep us posted how it works out? the only time I need/want max light is when I'm going downhill (so faster than average). the rest of the time, I'll happily chug along at medium brightness.

I have no issue with a cable down my neck. In fact, I'd prefer keeping the weight of the unit I'm wearing on my head as low as possible... I know batteries are getting lighter and lighter, but I still would rather not have them on my head.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Yeah, it's a logistical constraint. It makes the most sense, except having the brightest light on your head also takes the most battery, where there's nowhere to put it. The industry is basically opposite of the best theoretical setup. It's not necessarily that I need ultra-narrow beam there...but I just want the brightest light there, it does a lot better with shadows and depth perception. The best solution is running an extension under your jacket to a fanny pack or just running a tiny battery.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
i like the outbound lid light. light & compact with a nice wide beam pattern that i prefer to a brighter, more focused beam. i run a medium power, wide(ish) dispersion light on the bar as a foreground flood, and the combo works great. less of a tunnel vision effect; works well (for me).

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Have you checked out Magicshine lights? They are halfway decent and the one I have is nice - sturdy and has USB-c fast charging. They also have a Canadian dealer and they are on sale right now..

I have this bad boy on my helmet and sometimes its good enough on its own, if I forget to turn on my bar light. Its bright as heck.

They also have other models that are supposedly brighter, with external batteries.

I usually just leave this thing on max for the entire ride and it lasts for anywhere from 1.5-2 hours. I've only had it dim down because it was running out of juice once. Just don't touch it was your cold bare hands after, I learned that the hard way.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Have you checked out Magicshine lights? They are halfway decent and the one I have is nice - sturdy and has USB-c fast charging. They also have a Canadian dealer and they are on sale right now..

I have this bad boy on my helmet and sometimes its good enough on its own, if I forget to turn on my bar light. Its bright as heck.

They also have other models that are supposedly brighter, with external batteries.

I usually just leave this thing on max for the entire ride and it lasts for anywhere from 1.5-2 hours. I've only had it dim down because it was running out of juice once. Just don't touch it was your cold bare hands after, I learned that the hard way.
thanks for the link. I've had MagicShine lights back in the day. I'm currently running Ituo's at the moment. I feel like they've dimmed a bit in the last few years, but not by a lot. I've been sorta looking to see what's available out there, to see if there's anything is worth upgrading to. That MOH 55 Aquila seems like it would fit the bill. I wonder if I can get it as a lighthead only?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I wish Trailled was still in business. Now that I am TFO and can't see isht anymore, I'd switch the XXX for a DS on the helmet. Anyone knows someone who would sell theirs? :brows:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'm quite happy with my Gloworm Alphas.
1200 lumens each.
Spot on my head, and wide on the bars. I got a couple extra lenses and played around and this was by far the best setup - at least for me.
And yes, an ass-purse makes a great battery holder.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Everyone I know who has Outbound lights really likes them. I've had multiple Lupine lights for several years with no complaints. Pricey but great quality and performance. Having a bluetooth remote for your helmet light is pretty friggin' awesome, I wish more offered it.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
i like the outbound lid light. light & compact with a nice wide beam pattern that i prefer to a brighter, more focused beam. i run a medium power, wide(ish) dispersion light on the bar as a foreground flood, and the combo works great. less of a tunnel vision effect; works well (for me).
yup, great beam pattern, actually feels like you can see everything you want to see. I've got the bar/helmet light combo (older wired bar version) and it's really good.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I've got a set of the Outbound lights (for over a year now). Previously ran a L&M Taz 1000 on top, 2000 on bars. And before that the Taz up top with a ~2000 lumen Magicshine on the bars. The OL lights are less spotlights and more diffuse. I like the effect (gives you more peripheral vision, less eye strain), but it take some adjusting to. The best part about their helmet light is how damn light weight it is - half that of the Taz, and sits lower too. Much less neck strain. I do a weekly night ride where we need lights for about 1/3 of the year, and it's gotten to the point where most people who show up use OL lights after seeing them in action.

The Magicshine (and other Chinese lights my friends have used) basically just throw massive amounts of lumens out there, irregular patterns, with mediocre mounts. Also very heavy. They're better than nothing, but they're not well thought out at all.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I've got a set of the Outbound lights (for over a year now). Previously ran a L&M Taz 1000 on top, 2000 on bars. And before that the Taz up top with a ~2000 lumen Magicshine on the bars. The OL lights are less spotlights and more diffuse. I like the effect (gives you more peripheral vision, less eye strain), but it take some adjusting to. The best part about their helmet light is how damn light weight it is - half that of the Taz, and sits lower too. Much less neck strain. I do a weekly night ride where we need lights for about 1/3 of the year, and it's gotten to the point where most people who show up use OL lights after seeing them in action.

The Magicshine (and other Chinese lights my friends have used) basically just throw massive amounts of lumens out there, irregular patterns, with mediocre mounts. Also very heavy. They're better than nothing, but they're not well thought out at all.
the eye strain part is so true and was one of the things I noticed pretty quick too, it just feels much easier on the eyes overall since you aren't chasing a hot spot beam and it lights up peripheral so well.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Is it really moar better than just tapping the light on the top of the helmet? (provided the light's user interface / switch is user friendly)
Personally I think it's great. With a remote you can more easily toggle between modes so you save power for when you need the brightest light. Also, it's really nice to be able to switch to a higher beam without taking a hand off the bars when dropping in on something - that's often precisely when you don't want to take a hand off.

Not essential, especially if you have enough juice to just run full power for your entire ride, but it's a really nice feature if you regularly run your batteries dry (or get close). I find it to be one of those things that are hard to give up once you get used to it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is it really moar better than just tapping the light on the top of the helmet? (provided the light's user interface / switch is user friendly)
Yes, it really is. It's like a dropper post remote in terms of usefulness. The faster you go or more gnarly it gets, the more light you need...but you obviously only need it when you are going that fast. My gloworm remote has a "climb" setting that is super dim to save battery, so you can adjust all of these intensities with the remote. Another cool trick is putting it on strobe as you go through intersections.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yes, it really is. It's like a dropper post remote in terms of usefulness. The faster you go or more gnarly it gets, the more light you need...but you obviously only need it when you are going that fast. My gloworm remote has a "climb" setting that is super dim to save battery, so you can adjust all of these intensities with the remote. Another cool trick is putting it on strobe as you go through intersections.
I built my own battery packs that have plenty of juice so I just run the helmet light on full throttle all the time. Not having to loop between all the modes helps, too.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Wanted the wireless remote, but it had just come out on the X2 stuff and was not available on the Alpha yet.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wanted the wireless remote, but it had just come out on the X2 stuff and was not available on the Alpha yet.
Yep. I'll admit I was a little skeptical at first, running my first remote on a wired Ituo, but hell, just so nice for everything...even small things like not blinding people on the trail, since you can instantly throttle it down to the low setting.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I think it would make sense for bike light companies to get on board with flashlight "technology". Even $5 flashlights have an adjustable beam pattern. Why not bike lights?

Why not have 2 or 3 different "areas"? One for close range, one medium and one far range. Then let the rider adjust the beam pattern?

I've done local rides where the slow and techy trails make you want the bright light within 3 bike lengths. Other places though, I wish I could see 100' in front of me with a tight pattern and some overflow of light to the sides.

On a different note- Can't they make a flip-able dark lens for when you and your buddies are stopped so you're not blinding each other?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I think it would make sense for bike light companies to get on board with flashlight "technology". Even $5 flashlights have an adjustable beam pattern. Why not bike lights?
An infinitely user adjustable lens like you'd find on a cheap flashlight isn't a particularly great idea for a bike light. Remember just how savy your average cyclist actually is? eg. I see arseholes on the roads with high powered spot beams on their helmets. or beams on the bars pointed UPWARDS almost daily (well... eveningly if we're being pedantic) on my way home this time of year.
Plenty higher end bike lights do actually give the sort of choices you're looking for (eg. optional/switchable flood/spot either through controller or lens swap) and many newer lights have road safe beam technology to reduce blinding oncoming vehicles. (so long as you don't still point the things upwards)
Why not have 2 or 3 different "areas"? One for close range, one medium and one far range. Then let the rider adjust the beam pattern?
My 5+ year old magicshine Eagle F3 lights have exactly that. with a choice of 2x floods, 2x spots or all 4 and multiple power output options for each. TBH it was way more complex than it needed to be and you were only likely to remember the full range of options/controls if you night ride tons.
I've done local rides where the slow and techy trails make you want the bright light within 3 bike lengths. Other places though, I wish I could see 100' in front of me with a tight pattern and some overflow of light to the sides.
That's why a decent bar light combined with a decent helmet light works so well. and even better if both have remotes.
On a different note- Can't they make a flip-able dark lens for when you and your buddies are stopped so you're not blinding each other?
It's called a "switch" Son. don't be the twat who doesn't know how to use it on group rides. Pass it on!

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Back OT
Bike lights are pretty amazing these days. Even at cheaper pricepoints
What are you running?