Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
On that note:

SRAM patented the rolamajig to death so shimano end users couldn't buy it. They stopped selling it and integrated a similar mechanism into their derailleurs. Now the chinese appear to have offered an FU to the patent office and replicated the same thing. No more mile long cable loop....

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I thought the cable and AXS cages place the pulleys in different spots. Like the AXS is shorter but the upper pulley is more offset. No? They're the same?
The look the same to me. I've replaced two for costumers and work good. It's got to work on the same cassette spacing as a mechanical.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Small companies making stupid shit that nobody wants to help guide the bigger companies away from doing similar stupid shit. I'll be happy to see the Bold go down in flames in much the same way Matt Damons "fortunate favors the bold" superbowl ad from the now defunct crypto.com go down in flames.
Yeah I would want to give them benefit of the doubt but it's so many things wrong at the same time.

Still why do PB thinks the bike is tall? The stack and reach seems pretty on par with most bikes in 2023.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If it's so wrong, why are you talking about it in the "What's right" thread?

Wait, I know - admit it, you actually really like it and subliminally posted here, right? :D

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007

Small companies making stupid shit that nobody wants to help guide the bigger companies away from doing similar stupid shit. I'll be happy to see the Bold go down in flames in much the same way Matt Damons "fortunate favors the bold" superbowl ad from the now defunct crypto.com go down in flames.
It reminds me of Trek/Fisher in the 90's. The Y bike and some other bike they made around the same time, almost cost Trek its future. Trek had designed the Sugar to replace the Y bike, but knew if they released a 3rd shitty bike they'd be out of business. So they released the Sugar under Fishers name. Since it did good, they came out with the Klein Adept and then the Fuel. All of which used the same rear triangle.

Buy up competition and use them as the lab rat. If it works, move it to the big company. If it doesn't, close up the samll shop and remain bg in the industry.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It reminds me of Trek/Fisher in the 90's. The Y bike and some other bike they made around the same time, almost cost Trek its future. Trek had designed the Sugar to replace the Y bike, but knew if they released a 3rd shitty bike they'd be out of business. So they released the Sugar under Fishers name. Since it did good, they came out with the Klein Adept and then the Fuel. All of which used the same rear triangle.

Buy up competition and use them as the lab rat. If it works, move it to the big company. If it doesn't, close up the samll shop and remain bg in the industry.
Didnt the sugar snap constantly like all the GF FS bikes?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'll happily sell you a foot of Jagwire gear cable for that price if you ask me nicely

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Someone needs to invent $250/ft shifter cables and brake lines to make external routing great again.
Gold plate existing cables/housing and do a bunch of marketing spew saying that only discerning cyclophiles can appreciate the difference.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Gold plate existing cables/housing and do a bunch of marketing spew saying that only discerning cyclophiles can appreciate the difference.
that’s a lot of work when you can buy gold TiN coated cables off aliexpress for $4. And then resell them for $250.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Someone needs to invent $250/ft shifter cables and brake lines to make external routing great again.
You just need influencers to notice that everyone is using internal routing and they will go external just for content. Literally what happened with wired headphones for a while where all the "famous" influencers went to wired earbuds because airpods were now "basic". We just need our own bike Kardashians.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Didnt the sugar snap constantly like all the GF FS bikes?
Fun fact is my mom still owns a Sugar. Then again it probably has never been serviced and it's another one of her smart purchases of "I'm not really into bikes so lets drop 3000k on one". Then again my family is infected with GF FS bikes. My father has a GF Joshua with a Magura shock.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Fun fact is my mom still owns a Sugar. Then again it probably has never been serviced and it's another one of her smart purchases of "I'm not really into bikes so lets drop 3000k on one". Then again my family is infected with GF FS bikes. My father has a GF Joshua with a Magura shock.
Sounds like you don't live in communism anymore. ;)

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Didn't someone make some ridiculous housing at some stage that was like that? Jagwire or something. Looked like a bunch of small links clipped together.

Back in the 90s I remember a couple of the XC kids in the local shop team had Gore-Tex cable kits where you had a continuous bright yellow plastic sleeve that that cable ran through to keep it free from mud and stuff. Those kits were like $100 per cable in the 90s, so probably $7,000 now with inflation. They sort of disappeared once manufacturers stopped putting cable stops in 8 spots along the routing and let us just run continuous housing from shifter to mech.... Ah I'd nearly forgotten the old days of having 3 or 4 different housing sections on a rear mech cable haha.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I had those fancy Gore-Tex cables back in the day. The inner liner was full length iirc, just the housing proper bits cut to length with ferrules for the frame routing as was the fashion.