Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
challenge 10 - order trickstuff brakes. drink until they arrive.
Buddy ordered a set last Thursday, arrived on Monday - like any given weekend, a bit drunk...

And the best part of it he ordered a Piccola Carbon and received a Direttissima :brows:

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I really dislike Canada's distributor model for bike parts and whatnot.

I contacted Hope asking if I could buy a few small parts (1 pawl spring lol, seal etc). They reply with nope, don't sell directly so contact xxxx distributor.

xxxx distributor is in BC. And of course there is not a fat chance that I can even interact with them, as a low level consumer pleb.

Of course their dealer list is outdated, majority of the shops are listed as street addresses only. And most are located in downtown Toronto or way far away.

Ughhhh. Why can't we just buy small stuff directly from the source? Its not like any of these shops are going to have this stuff in stock anyways.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I contacted Hope asking if I could buy a few small parts (1 pawl spring lol, seal etc). They reply with nope, don't sell directly so contact xxxx distributor.
May not be useful, but CRC and Wiggle both sell all the small Hope bits and bobs. I've also used tartycycles.co.uk (i think thats the URL, for parts the other two don't carry).

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
1 pawl spring
A small ziptie cut to size and placed in the spring seat works. (and believe it or not lasts longer)
Let me guess, That fucking annoying green one that needs it's own seating tool?

Ps. don't buy Hope stuff if you're not in the UK.
There's nothing special about Hope products, they're no lighter, more durable, technologically superior or higher performance to mass produced far eastern factory parts at all and only real benefit from running it is that they make their complete spares range readily available (Here)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A small ziptie cut to size and placed in the spring seat works. (and believe it or not lasts longer)

Let me guess, That fucking annoying green one that needs it's own seating tool?

Ps. don't buy Hope stuff if you're not in the UK.
There's nothing special about Hope products, they're no lighter, more durable, technologically superior or higher performance to mass produced far eastern factory parts at all and only real benefit from running it is that they make their complete spares range readily available (Here)
How does the zip tie stay in the little hole for it?

Yes the green plastic seal. I'm going to find a piece of PVC tubing that fits and give it the beans... but I need a spring of some sort before I do that; or do I? Would the freehub try to cock itself if I ran 3 pawls?

This is a 190mm fat bike hub so the options out there aren't that great.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
How does the zip tie stay in the little hole for it?
you just gotta find a ziptie with the correct sized head, orientate it correctly so the long part acts as a spring and cut to length so it sits under the pawl
freehub will run on 2 pawls at a pinch if the bearings are good.
Ironically being in the UK I can get you the pawl springs and seal (and seating tool) direct from hope.

If i'd known you were talking about a Fatbike I'd have just suggested you give it the resting place it deserves.

1638484469796.jpeg

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
you just gotta find a ziptie with the correct sized head, orientate it correctly so the long part acts as a spring and cut to length so it sits under the pawl
freehub will run on 2 pawls at a pinch if the bearings are good.
Ironically being in the UK I can get you the pawl springs and seal (and seating tool) direct from hope.

If i'd known you were talking about a Fatbike I'd have just suggested you give it the resting place it deserves.

View attachment 168252
Oh yeah, derp, use the head and insert it into the hole. Very noice, will try. Whats the worst that could happen, the hub explodes again?

I agree with the fatbiking thing. :disgust1: :ph34r:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I mean... yeah... you're right...

Not that my above complaint even matters. I called one of the bike shops and the distributor has nothing in stock anyways. FFS. :banghead:

What is even better is...

Contact mfg, and they say, sorry, talk to your county's distributor.
Contact distributor and they say, sorry we only deal with shops.
Contact shop and ask for parts.
Shop calls back few days later and says the distributor does not carry those parts.
:confused:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I know it's kind of like pissing in the wind, but how many times do I have to flag [trainer / cyclocross / gravel / TDF] videos on YouTube's "Mountain Bikes" section as "not Mountain Bikes". I swear, every time I go there, there's videos there that I've previously tagged as "not." You'd think even the most braindead machine learning algorithm would be able to figure out that curly bars != MTB.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I really dislike Canada's distributor model for bike parts and whatnot.

xxxx distributor is in BC. And of course there is not a fat chance that I can even interact with them, as a low level consumer pleb.

Of course their dealer list is outdated, majority of the shops are listed as street addresses only. And most are located in downtown Toronto or way far away.

Ughhhh. Why can't we just buy small stuff directly from the source? Its not like any of these shops are going to have this stuff in stock anyways.
my lbs deals in Hope. and they're really good with this sort of thing. want me to reach out? (or, you can give them a call too: https://www.phatmoosecycles.com/) If they won't ship, I'm happy to pick up and put in the mail myself. Tell them Sly will pick it up.