Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Bit of a pain to find them over here in Oz. And thanks to geo-restrictions we struggle to order from overseas.

Actually effin georestrictions are whats wrong with the industry. If you're gonna lock us out of buying spares and parts from overseas to save coin, then at least make sure they're bloody available here. Prior to geo-locking we all bought Shimano, SRAM, etc from CRC/Wiggle/zee Germans because they were literally 60-70% cheaper than getting bent over by our local distros. Then they were forced to block sales of certain products here to let the local distributors afford the new model Range Rovers and the freshest caviar.

Which is all well and bloody good except when we need stuff and are told there's no stock in the country, or better yet - the importer isn't bringing in that item or product as "there's not enough market for it".
I wish someone would create a VPN for shipping. :rolleyes:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I wish someone would create a VPN for shipping. :rolleyes:
There's freight forwarders and such but its a hassle. Sometimes the shops will still send direct if you message them.

I had to get a company in the UK to send me spares for Mavic wheels recently because the Aussie distro didn't have them and wouldn't order them.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Dude, Jett. I hope he can keep it up. But Tomac being "local" and a son of a former mtb legend. How can you not go for the guy?

I hear you when you say for $70, I'd be there. It is awesome. If you have the chance to go. DO IT. Yes, I've been and it is awesome. Oh the smell and the sounds and the awesomeness? oh my!

They had the Moto of nations race a few years ago, (actually a lot of years ago, I'm getting old) an outdoor track (lookup Thundervalley, Lakewood, CO) near my buddy's house. We rode our MTB's there. It was supposed to be $$ to get to the pits. But the dude at the gate was like, nice bikes. Come on in for free. You can't beat that! :)
Yeah im a moto guy and Dh guy. Follow racing closely. Thunder Valley always has great racing. Baggett railing and jumping around Tomac was a memory.

Attachments

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
There's absolutely no need to "stock up" on older drivetrain parts. They're not going away any time soon. mechanical 10, 11 and 12spd derailleurs are interchangeable and decent quality 10 spd shifters ars still available

Of course. But this was done mid - pandemic time, when some stuff was getting tough to get. And it looked as if it might remain so for a bit.

A few spare cassettes, chains and derailleurs. Also brake pads.

Anyway, I'm not ditching the stuff for a long time. Have spares and it all just works so well.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
official swiss importer doesn’t have them anymore so i WOULD stock up
OMG! 111!!
I wouldn't rush off panic buying just yet. Seeing as there are tons of other perfectly suitable shimano 11 & 12spd derailleurs to choose from.

Or do you really think Shimano are about to discontinue 12spd mtb oh nerdy unapologetic one.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ok. So you actually are being a thick cunt on purpose. If so there's clearly no point explaining this to you

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Giving it a go. With a 10 speed shifter you can use either a 10-11-12 speeds rear D. Correct?
Yes. Shimano don't advertise it. But if you look closely at their current derrailleur range and cross reference docs it does become apparent. eg. some mechs are listed as 10/11 spd compatible... others 11/12. Not rocket science. But not glaringly obvious either.

Call a Shimano distributor (or some pricky bicycle parts salesman) and they'll probably tell you it isn't compatible. But this BS has been the case with Shimano for tons combinations that actually work well together for decades.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm using eagle 12spd derailleurs right now on two bikes with 11spd shifters. They shift brilliant. I'm sure no one would tell you this works.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I concur. I have also run shimano 12spd derailleurs with shimano 11speed shifters /11spd cassette just fine.

Was the ideal set-up for wide range cassettes before shimano released their own 11speed variant with support for more than 42t.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I'm using eagle 12spd derailleurs right now on two bikes with 11spd shifters. They shift brilliant. I'm sure no one would tell you this works.
You can use SRAM 11spd mechs on 12spd Eagle too as long as you lock out the biggest cog they work fine.