Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
At least mountain bikers can spend a shit ton of money trying to look blue collar.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
At least mountain bikers can spend a shit ton of money trying to look blue collar.

take that patagonia!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
as much as i hate walmart, the family members that are into cycling have invested a lot in trails in there bentonville region.
Yeah, that totally makes up for destroying the hometown businesses in hundreds (probably thousands) of cities across the US.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
WHAT.
THE.
F.
U.
C.
K!

As per an email from USAC today...

"As the leader of the American cycling community, USA Cycling understands we have been a part of the problem in the inequality and representation in our sport. No amount of talk can change the past, we must use our position to take action to embrace, lift up and ride with the black members of our cycling family to ensure equality, equity, transparency and dignity.

Riding bikes is a privilege, to safely explore the streets and trails of this country. We are proud ambassadors for this privilege.

USA Cycling will use its voice and position as the National Governing Body for a sport that continues to grow in its inclusion and is committed to driving necessary change."

WHAT THE FUCK?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
First they started bending downtubes for added water bottle space. It added frame weight while increasing rock strikes. It annoyed me but I figured the downsides were minimal and enough riders were insisting on a water bottle mount that I was just gonna have to accept it. This new trend of adding weight and cost to a frame for tool mounts and storage is a step too far and will be a deal breaker on any future frames I consider. I can imagine the demand for it at lower price points but I'm honestly surprised to see this above $4000. Above that price you're just paying more to shed weight with expensive materials and engineering so it baffles me that people would be willing to add the weight right back, rather than saving a few grand and wearing a small pack*. When Specialized came out with their downtube storage it made their carbon frame weigh the same as the much cheaper alloy frame. I wondered if anyone would pay for carbon when it doesn't come with weight savings, just a burrito box, BUT THEY DID!!!

*Here's my hypothesis: No one has tried a minimalist pack. Everyone who says they hate packs tried a large one. I base this on how few small packs exist and what I see on the trail. When pack shopping people think "I better get one that can hold plenty of stuff in case I ever want to". Then they realize how much it sucks riding with a big heavy pack and think it's a great idea to put their flat tire kit and water on the bike, even though they just added $3000 worth of weight to it. If I just described you try the smallest Camelbak or the Dakine hip pack. Weight is definitely better on the body than bike for handling.
disagree. it's essentially sprung mass whether on the bike or on me.

And I've found the advantages of riding packless outweigh weight placement issues anyways. I've been easing into riding packless for the past two years. Started with a bottle cage and pump clipped on to the side. Then added the EDC tool in the stem. I had Specialized bibs with the Swat pockets that I didn't use much. I put a platypus 500ml bottle in the back pocket. Tube is rolled up under the saddle. This set up is very unobstrusive. I also now ride in button down shirts. On really hot days, opening a few buttons and not having a pack makes a huge difference. not so much while climbing, but the second I start coasting, I can feel myself cooling off (and recovering) much faster. most of my rides are right around 2 hours, and this allows me to carry just the right amount of water. No downsides in my books.

But I will say I'd rather ride with a camelbak than a fanny pack. I dislike having things bounce around my waist.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Cogent analysis from reliably the biggest dumbass on here.

On top of all that, the USAC statement is bland as hell. Is your point that... having black people riding bikes is actually bad?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I'll spel it ouu fer yu.

The way I read it was they admitted to segregating blacks. They said they can't change what they did in the past, so NOW they're going to "ride with the black members".

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I went with the more charitable reading that they feel that they haven't done enough to actively include people of color, rather than have previously specifically worked to exclude. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem kind of deal.

It's not a very strong statement though, I'll grant that for sure.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I went with the more charitable reading that they feel that they haven't done enough to actively include people of color, rather than have previously specifically worked to exclude. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem kind of deal.

It's not a very strong statement though, I'll grant that for sure.
knowing some people previously involved with USAC this has always sounded like it was the case, at least based on their awareness/involvement. doesn't change their actions (more specifically, lack thereof) or excuse it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, I don't think anyone is arguing that one token black person at the top of the sport is how you fix a lack of diversity and racism. That doesn't mean that there aren't concrete steps that can be taken that would actually help.

I certainly don't pretend to have all the answers, but I am curious to see what (if anything) USAC actually does now

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I kid, I kid. I understand and agree with the tone of the message. But seriously . . . everyone feels like they need to put out a "statement" right now.

If they're serious, support local, grassroots efforts to put kids on bikes. Support bike teams at schools in disadvantaged areas. Support shops that do the same. Get the big bike companies on board. Don't charge ridiculous fees for licenses, membership, and entry to races. I dunno. I'm not very involved with the sport on the "professional" side. I just dig trails and hope people enjoy them, and help out the good shops and clubs locally with some of the efforts noted above when I can.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I can't decide if everybody putting out a statement is a good thing, for the reasons that are fairly obvious, or if it's that organisations are just seeing which way the wind is blowing and taking an opportunistic move to score PR points, but won't actually do anything worthwhile. I guess it's probably a bit of both.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I just reported the specialized e-bike ad that's been at the top of my page as inappropriate. I like bicycles, not mopeds.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
disagree. it's essentially sprung mass whether on the bike or on me.

And I've found the advantages of riding packless outweigh weight placement issues anyways. I've been easing into riding packless for the past two years. Started with a bottle cage and pump clipped on to the side. Then added the EDC tool in the stem. I had Specialized bibs with the Swat pockets that I didn't use much. I put a platypus 500ml bottle in the back pocket. Tube is rolled up under the saddle. This set up is very unobstrusive. I also now ride in button down shirts. On really hot days, opening a few buttons and not having a pack makes a huge difference. not so much while climbing, but the second I start coasting, I can feel myself cooling off (and recovering) much faster. most of my rides are right around 2 hours, and this allows me to carry just the right amount of water. No downsides in my books.

But I will say I'd rather ride with a camelbak than a fanny pack. I dislike having things bounce around my waist.
I agree. I'd love it if they took the downtube storage even further and put a blatter in it so I can have all the weight of my tools, water, wallet, and phone down low on the bike rather than in my lumbar camelbak. And leaving my tools on the bike mean I can just throw a bottle in the cage and ride down the road to the local trails and ride for an hour and head home without accidentally forgetting my tools.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Holy shit the racism in bike manufacturer’s Insta comments right now is off the chain.

Listen to Eliot.
I don't do much in the way of the gram. I'm not even sure I have an account. Is it MFG's that are being shitty or riders?

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Just regular riders’ comments to various big brands’ posts in support of black lives.

The Pinkbike article was pretty good, which was heartening to see.

I don't do much in the way of the gram. I'm not even sure I have an account. Is it MFG's that are being shitty or riders?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I used to volunteer at a place that took inner city kids on mountain bike rides. We'd fit them for bikes and helmets and then take them on a short fireroad ride to a beach in Marin and then back to the parking lot. Lots of the kids were african americans from Oakland. Now if you don't know, Oakland is part of the San Francisco Bay Area and is within ~15 miles of the Pacific Ocean, and every ride there would be a handful of kids (teenagers) who had never seen the ocean before. That fact somewhat redefined what I think of as privilege.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I am from the Bay.

My mom was a counselor at a middle school in Redwood City. Many kids there hadn’t been to the beach, and it’s even closer than Oakland.

My good friend is a middle school teacher in Hunter’s Point, and he got some bikes donated so he could take kids riding in McLaren Park, SF. (Then the PE teacher got him in trouble for doing that because he’s an English teacher.)

Having lived in NYC and now LA, I can say that the MTB scene can be more diverse than in other parts of the country, obviously. But there is still a big divide.

Maybe we can learn something from skating and BMX.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am from the Bay.

My mom was a counselor at a middle school in Redwood City. Many kids there hadn’t been to the beach, and it’s even closer than Oakland.

My good friend is a middle school teacher in Hunter’s Point, and he got some bikes donated so he could take kids riding in McLaren Park, SF. (Then the PE teacher got him in trouble for doing that because he’s an English teacher.)

Having lived in NYC and now LA, I can say that the MTB scene can be more diverse than in other parts of the country, obviously. But there is still a big divide.

Maybe we can learn something from skating and BMX.

Calling people Joeys and making fun of people who ride a slightly different genre of bike should help. This thread is the perfect example of what is wrong with the industry, not the new standards but the self absorbed privileged bitching.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Calling people Joeys and making fun of people who ride a slightly different genre of bike should help. This thread is the perfect example of what is wrong with the industry, not the new standards but the self absorbed privileged bitching.
Oh stop.

The bike industry does some horrendously annoying shit.

And toshi still rides an ebike. Not just gonna just let either of those slide.

The idea for different hub and BB standards come from INSIDE the person, not from their appearance or cultural background. It is where evil truly lives......the inside.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I’m sorry if I made fun of your bike before.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I used to volunteer at a place that took inner city kids on mountain bike rides. We'd fit them for bikes and helmets and then take them on a short fireroad ride to a beach in Marin and then back to the parking lot. Lots of the kids were african americans from Oakland. Now if you don't know, Oakland is part of the San Francisco Bay Area and is within ~15 miles of the Pacific Ocean, and every ride there would be a handful of kids (teenagers) who had never seen the ocean before. That fact somewhat redefined what I think of as privilege.
I see that as a representation of how shitty some parents are. Imagine never bothering to show your kid the ocean when it could be done in an afternoon using public transit? If we view having reasonable parents as a privilege that normalizes shitty parenting. I'm all for helping out kids who had the bad luck to be born to shitty parents but at the same time clearly placing the shame and blame for their situation on said parents, not society at large. #fundplannedparenthood

I see that as a representation of how shitty some parents are. Imagine never bothering to show your kid the ocean when it could be done in an afternoon using public transit? If we view having reasonable parents as a privilege that normalizes shitty parenting. I'm all for helping out kids who had the bad luck to be born to shitty parents but at the same time clearly placing the shame and blame for their situation on said parents, not society at large. #fundplannedparenthood
This presumes that one might have time and resources available after the struggle to have food on the table.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Oakland to Ocean Beach and back on public transit, on a weekend? There goes your whole day.