Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
cans or bottles are both good to stash in the creek for post-ride creekbeers; if they're going in the pack, cans all the way as they're lighter and can be crushed down smaller post-consumption. for those extra special rides, alcohol goes directly into the camelbak bladder or water bottle (i.e., the imperial stoutlebak / stoutlebottle).

ymmv

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
BRB pitching an on-trail beer transportation systems roundup.

We've got:
  • 12oz bottles
  • large format bottles
  • 12oz cans
  • 16oz cans
  • larger crowler style cans
  • trailer with a keg in it
Criteria:
  • Breakability
  • Weight per volume of beer
  • Safety
  • Ease of transport
  • Availability of beer options
  • Insulation

Am I missing anything?
Does the rear shock mount allow a can or bottle to fit.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BRB pitching an on-trail beer transportation systems roundup.

We've got:
  • 12oz bottles
  • large format bottles
  • 12oz cans
  • 16oz cans
  • larger crowler style cans
  • trailer with a keg in it
Criteria:
  • Breakability
  • Weight per volume of beer
  • Safety
  • Ease of transport
  • Availability of beer options
  • Insulation

Am I missing anything?
Party ball in a kid seat

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Are all modern gloves basically throwaways after one ride? I've just bought and returned gloves from Dakine and TLD that both came apart at the stitching within a few rides (one ride for the TLDs). I get that modern, thinner gloves are gonna be less durable in a crash, but these things came unstitched without a crash. And its not like they're cheap these days. My old TLD Airs are going strong after ages, but the new version sucks. Trying some Fasthouse ones now.
I got a set of MSR Axxis gloves from a moto shop for $15 2+ riding seasons ago. They have held up admirably. Dirtier for sure, but no rips or tears. They aren't as thin as MTB gloves, but they also last more than two rides. Highly recommended.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Giro DND hold up well for me. I've a few pairs but have been using them for years now.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Bike and moto gloves have been destitching themselves as long as I've been using them.

I rarely ride in gloves these days, but for me, lightweight, wrist velcro, and single layer palm are the most important attributes.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
Bike and moto gloves have been destitching themselves as long as I've been using them.

I rarely ride in gloves these days, but for me, lightweight, wrist velcro, and single layer palm are the most important attributes.
I've been forced to conclude anything designed for biking is too flimsy to use.

Mechanix Original are my go-to, M-Pacts for DH days or if I think there's gonna be a lot of tree punching.

I could probably outfit an orphanage of amputees with all of the single gloves I have hanging around after their mates blew stiches or got holes.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I could probably outfit an orphanage of amputees with all of the single gloves I have hanging around after their mates blew stiches or got holes.
Do you always destroy the same side gloves? If not then just freestyle mix and match.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Same here. Thin-palm gloves are never gonna last forever, but these have been working for me over the last few years. I've had pretty good luck with other Giro stuff too, namely helmets and shoes.
I have had two pairs of Giro gloves have one finger destitch almost immediately in the last year. This makes me sad as I have problems finding gloves that don't have a few fingers that are way too long. Meh hands are in the girthy end of the spectrum.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Another vote for Fox. I seem to be jinxed when I don’t wear gloves, even if I am just riding around the block. In fact I am waiting for my left palm to heal from a gloveless ride into town last week. I always end up dicking around and go down, usually on tarmac. Over the years I have tried most manufacturers, and my current Fox gloves have fitted and held up the best. Other gloves which fitted well i.e. snug, have fallen apart at the seems. The rest have either not been a snug fit at all, or stretched while riding (feel great after a wash and dry). Luckily I bought 2 pairs at the time.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Same here. Thin-palm gloves are never gonna last forever, but these have been working for me over the last few years. I've had pretty good luck with other Giro stuff too, namely helmets and shoes.
Yeah I don't mind replacing them, but they gotta last a few damn rides.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I got a set of MSR Axxis gloves from a moto shop for $15 2+ riding seasons ago. They have held up admirably. Dirtier for sure, but no rips or tears. They aren't as thin as MTB gloves, but they also last more than two rides. Highly recommended.
On the crash I had a few weeks ago where I fractured my humorous where the rotator cuff connects I did the whole landing and then some on the palms of my leatt gloves. IDK if they were bike or moto marketed ones, but they had no Velcro, no palm padding, and were $6 on clearance.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
On the crash I had a few weeks ago where I fractured my humorous where the rotator cuff connects I did the whole landing and then some on the palms of my leatt gloves. IDK if they were bike or moto marketed ones, but they had no Velcro, no palm padding, and were $6 on clearance.
So you're saying they're bad luck?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Nah, good luck. It was the type of crash that normally breaks you collar bone but what I got is only 4 weeks in the sling and some pt. What's bad luck is hitting a new man made feature on a trail system that only has natural tech at almost exclusively a black rating.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Ive had really good luck with TLD gloves the past few years and this year the yeti branded gloves. The XL's are tight, but havent torn any stitching and seem to be holding up just fine

Vrock

Linkage Design Blog
Aug 13, 2005
Spain
Kill it with fire. Full suspension, gravel e-bike...

I love Ebikes and still think that bike doesn't make any sense.

Light weight roadbikes with Fazua motors are very nice, Bikepacking hardtails with big motors and dual battery are amazing. To me Gravel Riding is a solo sport, and when you ride solo there is no need to compromise, so a MTB Hardtail is the best option...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I love Ebikes and still think that bike doesn't make any sense.

Light weight roadbikes with Fazua motors are very nice, Bikepacking hardtails with big motors and dual battery are amazing. To me Gravel Riding is a solo sport, and when you ride solo there is no need to compromise, so a MTB Hardtail is the best option...
Rigid Ti 29er has been my "gravel" bike for the last 10+ years.