Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I tried a Christini in Moab ~2002 or so. The thing had crazy climbing traction. If you were mainly into motoring up technical climbs I guess they could make sense. Maybe the bike packing crowd?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I tried a Christini in Moab ~2002 or so. The thing had crazy climbing traction. If you were mainly into motoring up technical climbs I guess they could make sense. Maybe the bike packing crowd?
Bike packing I want ultra reliable, not extra junk.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Make the hub wider for better bracing angle in order to achieve stiffer, stronger wheels, then remove some spokes to make more compliant weaker wheels, logic!

According to a wheel simulator I was playing with.
Less but bigger spokes gave less radial and more latetal stiffness. But force to buckle lateral and radial goes down with fewer but larger spokes.

So you could use some 2.3-2.0 on a 24 spoke I guess....

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
32 shall be the number and the number shall be 32*

* Unless you are a hard-charging clyde; if so....

36 shall be the number and the number shall be 36.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

you get what you ask for
No body reads that right? I mean how can you when the article title is white on a white background. :disgust1:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
You forgot :fancy: in there somewhere.

For a bike to just shit around on or for having in the shed, thats pretty cool. And a dropper post on it? :rofl:

How do you turn on that thing without your feet hitting the front tire?
No toe overlap, maybe the picture is deceiving, but the front wheel is way out there.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
32 shall be the number and the number shall be 32*

* Unless you are a hard-charging clyde; if so....

36 shall be the number and the number shall be 36.
This, I agree with wider hubs. We had 150mm for forever. And 32 spokes is king. Because you can still get home if you break one.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
Make the hub wider for better bracing angle in order to achieve stiffer, stronger wheels, then remove some spokes to make more compliant weaker wheels, logic!

It's actually impeccable logic (from I9 at least). 24 spoke hubs and rims cost less to make than 28 or 32 hole versions (fewer machining operations), and will break more often (repeat sales). All they have to do is get their marketing department to throw the word "compliance" around a bit, and dirt roadies buying Pivots will slurp that shit up.

Then they can use that extra cash to keep on making actually durable hubs and rims for the rest of us.

Other question for the masses:
I am not small, nor am I large (about sample size for men, slightly taller than average). I don't think my hips or knees are fucked up, but every time I ride a superboost bike my heels rub on the frame. I barely clear the stays on my standard boost bikes, and it seems that extra few milimeters is too far. Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's actually impeccable logic (from I9 at least). 24 spoke hubs and rims cost less to make than 28 or 32 hole versions (fewer machining operations), and will break more often (repeat sales). All they have to do is get their marketing department to throw the word "compliance" around a bit, and dirt roadies buying Pivots will slurp that shit up.

Then they can use that extra cash to keep on making actually durable hubs and rims for the rest of us.

Other question for the masses:
I am not small, nor am I large (about sample size for men, slightly taller than average). I don't think my hips or knees are fucked up, but every time I ride a superboost bike my heels rub on the frame. I barely clear the stays on my standard boost bikes, and it seems that extra few milimeters is too far. Anyone else have this issue?
of all the nonsense the industry lizards put out, 24 spoke wheels is on the less nonsensical end of things. plenty of people that don't ride super hard or aren't super heavy will have 0 issues with these as a result of having another 4 fewer spokes.

i've got a set of taiwainese factory wheels on my trail bike. 28 spokes (bladed spokes no less) and have ridden them fairly hard over the time ive had them (given their intended XC use), which has been at least 8 years without even needing truing. plus i'm about 220 geared up. i actually bought them from woody because he thought they were too light.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Man, I'd love to tool around on the freaky 36er. I've never seen one irl.

I feel like it would either be super mellow and boring to ride or else I'd hurt myself on it quickly... haha.

I had drop bars on it for a time, wish I didn't sell it.

Or many of my other bikes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
of all the nonsense the industry lizards put out, 24 spoke wheels is on the less nonsensical end of things. plenty of people that don't ride super hard or aren't super heavy will have 0 issues with these as a result of having another 4 fewer spokes.

i've got a set of taiwainese factory wheels on my trail bike. 28 spokes (bladed spokes no less) and have ridden them fairly hard over the time ive had them (given their intended XC use), which has been at least 8 years without even needing truing. plus i'm about 220 geared up. i actually bought them from woody because he thought they were too light.
I think you are missing the point, it's not that 28 or 24 spokes necessarily bad, it's using them in an application where were told "we need to make this wider for the spoke angle blah blah blah, so it can be stiffer", and then they go back and decrease the spoke count to make their 30lb super-boost bike lighter and cheaper...and the whole "wheel stiffness boost important buy buy buy" thing goes out the window. I built 28 spoke wheels for XC racing. I wouldn't have an issue with maybe 24 or 24 up front for the same reason, but just slapping them on every bike reeks of BS. Pivot loves to hype up Superboost and tell people IT'S STIFFER. Well, that kind of defies physics when you make something wider, so you have to beef the frame up first of all (make it heavier) and then with wheels, it's not so simple, yes the hub shell is wider, but as mentioned, the spoke angles and more symmetrical tension are benefits. So maybe you "can" build a stiffer wheel...but when you then remove a bunch of spokes we all have to wonder what the hell the point was in the beginning? It's similar to how Pivot hyped up BB92 and how important all that shit was, then they turn around and install 30mm-spindle cranks, rather than the 24mm that the entire standard was designed for. It's this kind of fuckery that we are fed up with. If you are going to make new standards, then take advantage of them, don't just use them as a means to package the same old, or worse, shit.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This, I agree with wider hubs. We had 150mm for forever. And 32 spokes is king. Because you can still get home if you break one.
Or more. I've only broken two spokes I can recall in the last year and half or so, but both were on rides and pretty much non-events due to both being 32 spoke wheelsets. Even if you break one, or maybe even a couple, you probably won't have some real nasty wobble and cascading effects, but 24? Maybe, but that would put me much more into "survival" mode on a ride.

28 is not a huge deal to me, but it just depends on what the purpose is. Slapping less spokes on there to cut cost or to cut weight while sacrificing strength is BS outside of a very specialized bike that should not be the norm. There are all sorts of dipshit ways to make a wheel with proprietary spokes and nipples, internal nipples, straight pull, aluminum spokes, low spoke counts with insanely high tension, etc., but these are the poster-child for marginal improvements that end up being more trouble than they are worth in the end. When you can't get the parts, or it requires special servicing, or a slight malfunction trashes the entire thing, you are just playing the "hopefully this won't break in a year and I'll get a new bike and it'll be someone else's problem"-game.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think you are missing the point, it's not that 28 or 24 spokes necessarily bad, it's using them in an application where were told "we need to make this wider for the spoke angle blah blah blah, so it can be stiffer", and then they go back and decrease the spoke count to make their 30lb super-boost bike lighter and cheaper...and the whole "wheel stiffness boost important buy buy buy" thing goes out the window. I built 28 spoke wheels for XC racing. I wouldn't have an issue with maybe 24 or 24 up front for the same reason, but just slapping them on every bike reeks of BS. Pivot loves to hype up Superboost and tell people IT'S STIFFER. Well, that kind of defies physics when you make something wider, so you have to beef the frame up first of all (make it heavier) and then with wheels, it's not so simple, yes the hub shell is wider, but as mentioned, the spoke angles and more symmetrical tension are benefits. So maybe you "can" build a stiffer wheel...but when you then remove a bunch of spokes we all have to wonder what the hell the point was in the beginning? It's similar to how Pivot hyped up BB92 and how important all that shit was, then they turn around and install 30mm-spindle cranks, rather than the 24mm that the entire standard was designed for. It's this kind of fuckery that we are fed up with. If you are going to make new standards, then take advantage of them, don't just use them as a means to package the same old, or worse, shit.
Have you ridden an i9 system wheel?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Have you ridden an i9 system wheel?
Like I said, there are many dipshit ways to build a wheel. Give me 32 steel spokes. I have no idea if I've ridden one, probably, but I don't think I've checked the hub/spokes of every bike I"ve ridden in that way.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Like I said, there are many dipshit ways to build a wheel. Give me 32 steel spokes. I have no idea if I've ridden one, probably, but I don't think I've checked the hub/spokes of every bike I"ve ridden in that way.
I'll take that as a no, because they are not built with j bend or traditional straight pull spokes, they are thick machined alloy spokes and you'd sure as shit know if you'd ridden them.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'll take that as a no, because they are not built with j bend or traditional straight pull spokes, they are thick machined alloy spokes and you'd sure as shit know if you'd ridden them.
How would I know? Yes, I've known they are straight pull aluminum spokes since...they came out. I've ridden a lot of bikes and likely some I9 wheels in there somewhere.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
How would I know? Yes, I've known they are straight pull aluminum spokes since...they came out. I've ridden a lot of bikes and likely some I9 wheels in there somewhere.
i distinctly remember a good number of them exploding at DH races because they were too stiff. 24 spokes for non DH applications will be fine for most riders.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I9 does a whole line of J-Bend steel spoke wheels using both alloy and crabon rims.

For example
yes i know will do but everyone is clutching their pearls over the super boost 157 system wheels now being offered in a 24 spoke flavor.

edit: note: the i9 "system" wheels are their proprietary machined alloy straight pull spokes which they only offer as prebuilt wheels.