Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
One could extrapolate from the 157 mm dh spacing that no, flange spacing isn’t the same. Super Boost is better.
Nope its the same and shouldn't be called 157dh or 157 super boost.

Should be 157 symetrical and 157 aysmetrical
You can stick a 157 asymetrical in a dh bike, and 157 symetrical in a trail bike.

Notice there is actually nothing anywhere about where the flange is placed on 157 "dh" you won't find a standard, it varies, it also varies with "superboost

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Currently selling a DT Swiss 350 rear hub with 157mm spacing. This both helps and also confuses me further. Dumb question but if the dropout spacing is the same why can't you dish the wheel so as so use either hub for either application? Or would this create wildly uneven spoke tension or otherwise a terrible wheel?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
If I had $4K I would approach him about a 125-150mm Adjustable travel 29" that also had a HA between 63.5 and 64 with a LOW BB right around 13" and a decent reach maybe 485 and just use FSR on the back end. I just don't have that kind of $$$ to spend......

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Frank W is awesome. The plastic yeti is so far from the original arcs, I don’t even recognize it... not even with the colors and ano bits.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I wonder how much it would cost to have him build an actual aluminium one with rounded stays etc and current GEO probably close to the plastic....

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Backcountry (which owns Competitive Cyclist) has a big black eye from the shit they did in the last year. Now Special-Ed teams up with them, screwing the IBD. Which is what Specialized and Trek claim they're all about.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Fox is apparently suing Slick Graphics for selling decals

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fox is apparently suing Slick Graphics for selling decals
a C&D isn't a lawsuit

Yeah, I got an email from Slick Graphics yesterday about that. Seems like selling creaky-crown forks isn't profitable enough so Fox has to bleed every single penny out of the gigantic decal market.
generally i'm for the little guy in these kinds of situations, but unless they had a contract authorizing them to reproduce the branding this is a pretty clear cut case of trademark infringement. that being said, it's definitely a heavy handed move from Fox.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I wouldn't consider it heavy handed. They are not only duplicating someone's trademark but copying their artwork. Someone going into business doing that without prior agreement should expect to run into trouble.

This isn't like they are pulling Backcountry.com and suing everyone who uses the word Fox. They are asking someone to stop using trademarked logos and artwork.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
a C&D isn't a lawsuit

generally i'm for the little guy in these kinds of situations, but unless they had a contract authorizing them to reproduce the branding this is a pretty clear cut case of trademark infringement. that being said, it's definitely a heavy handed move from Fox.
Well yeah, but isn't a C&D basically "stop, or I'll sue you!".

I would pay for FUX stickers or Rabid Fox

rabidfox.jpg

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Fox are obviously just mad that the Slik Graphics ones are so much nicer. I personally wonder what the legality of all this really is, 'replica' decals are all over the motorsports world and you can go into any random gas station and purchase a sticker of Calvin urinating on any number of trademarked logos for example.

Have you seen how much Dissent Labs charge for a pair of socks? The rassin' socks business is good business.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Social media is one reason and the other is that it's their fucking company.

That's why Fox did what they did and have every right to do so.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Fox are obviously just mad that the Slik Graphics ones are so much nicer. I personally wonder what the legality of all this really is, 'replica' decals are all over the motorsports world and you can go into any random gas station and purchase a sticker of Calvin urinating on any number of trademarked logos for example.

Have you seen how much Dissent Labs charge for a pair of socks? The rassin' socks business is good business.
and Slik graphics, regardless of how nice their product is, are making and selling decals using trademarked branding when they are not authorised to do so.

Fox owns the trademark on their branding, and it's their responsibility to enforce it.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
I wouldn't consider it heavy handed. They are not only duplicating someone's trademark but copying their artwork. Someone going into business doing that without prior agreement should expect to run into trouble.

This isn't like they are pulling Backcountry.com and suing everyone who uses the word Fox. They are asking someone to stop using trademarked logos and artwork.
I think most people don't know that if you fail to defend your trademark, you lose it.

So if Fox doesn't send Slik a C&D, then Slik and anyone else can go on producing all of the Fox branding they want without repercussion. Not even a dick move from Fox, just them saying "no, we are not releasing our trademarks into the public domain."

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Meanwhile:
Screenshot_20200728-221304_Instagram.jpg

Honestly I don't know which one to blame, Fox or Slick. But how they could end up in this awkward situation is definitely something wrong with this industry

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Meanwhile:
View attachment 148016

Honestly I don't know which one to blame, Fox or Slick. But how they could end up in this awkward situation is definitely something wrong with this industry
if they have licensing agreements in place with other companies but not fox, then they absolutely should know better and i have no pity for them whatsoever. and the whole david vs goliath angle they're pushing is more than just disingenuous, its outright misleading.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I am always amused at how some people think it should be perfectly ok for a company to profit from another company's years of hard work and brand-building. Sure, some go overboard (looking at you, Specialized), but it's not just fair to blatantly trade on someone else's good will. The Slik guys know they should have a license agreement, so maybe this was inadvertent or some kind of internal miscommunication rather than intentional.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I am always amused at how some people think it should be perfectly ok for a company to profit from another company's years of hard work and brand-building. Sure, some go overboard (looking at you, Specialized), but it's not just fair to blatantly trade on someone else's good will. The Slik guys know they should have a license agreement, so maybe this was inadvertent or some kind of internal miscommunication rather than intentional.
i definitely think there's more to this story given that its now come out they have licensing agreements in place with at least one other major company.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Currently selling a DT Swiss 350 rear hub with 157mm spacing. This both helps and also confuses me further. Dumb question but if the dropout spacing is the same why can't you dish the wheel so as so use either hub for either application? Or would this create wildly uneven spoke tension or otherwise a terrible wheel?
Rim centerline is in the same place, dropouts in the same place, brake flange is in the same place....