Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
But don't get me wrong. I also love backpacking too much to ruin it by bringing a bike along to push.
Yep same here. My co-workers have a hard time understanding how I can love biking and being in the outdoors so much while not being interested in bike touring.
My answers:
- "I love camping and biking too much to half-ass each activity while I try to do both at the same time."
- "I spend a lot of money to have light and dialed bikes, I'm not going to buy a heavy bike, strap 60lbs of shit on it and ride all day long for several days in a row."

That being said, I do appreciate that people are doing it for the experience and I'm not judging...it's just not for me. Like winter camping. Holy hell nobody will ever convince me to try that shit.

Last edited:
Cool story bro. But the guy could at least learn to differentiate the pampas (a fertile plain at sea level) from the altiplano (a plain at least 2500m over the sea level). I love how these so-called "learning travelers" learn so little about the regions they traverse.
I tend to learn a little when traveling, but thinking about it afterwards leads to questions and research and sometimes a lot of learning after the fact.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I tend to learn a little when traveling, but thinking about it afterwards leads to questions and research and sometimes a lot of learning after the fact.
... and I should learn how not to be harsh and pedantic :banghead:. Thanks for the patience and the free lesson. I promise I will make the most out of it.

EDIT: Could somebody please rep @johnbryanpeters for me?

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
... and I should learn how not to be harsh and pedantic :banghead:. Thanks for the patience and the free lesson. I promise I will make the most out of it.
Yeah - I really should have qualified my post with a "for me"...

It's kinda like Kokopelli or White Rim. Just holds no interest for me - riding shitty jeep roads through sand for mile after mile. But don't let me dissuade anyone from doing it. :D

EDIT: Could somebody please rep @johnbryanpeters for me?
Done!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
No doubt that's pretty cool. I just don't think I'm really into doing it on a bike. As @SkaredShtles said, I like backpacking too much to do it on a bike. But to be totally honest, I can't say that sucks about that trip. Even on a bike, it's cool.

But I've done similar (though no where near as extreme) "adventure" trips, and I never thought "this would be better on a bike". The only backpacking trip I had that thought on was hiking the Annapurna circuit, but that's because you can travel lighter. There's food and shelter along the way, so the bikes wouldn't be as laden, and would actually have been fun to schralp back down the 3000m descent.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip> The only backpacking trip I had that thought on was hiking the Annapurna circuit, but that's because you can travel lighter. There's food and shelter along the way, so the bikes wouldn't be as laden, and would actually have been fun to schralp back down the 3000m descent.
Ima do the Colorado Trail like this some time on a bike. Leisurely and with a normal "backcountry" kit. So as to enjoy the riding...

I am loving how this thread has changed into "This is what is wrong with the people". :D

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Wait, I'm new here. How much rep can we give away? And who shouldn't I give it to? :busted: :cheers:

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I did a very small section of the co trail last season around Breck. Think hike a bike on the up, sketchy loose on the way down. But grins all around. Ran into a guy who was doing the whole thing solo. Mad respect. But totally not fun for a guy like me.

Point being....apparently there is a market for that. For both our experiences/wants/needs.

But srsly, f bike packing in da face ;)

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Parks spoke tension meter is another thing that's wrong. It measures in kgf while spokes are measured in N. I believe 9.81N=1kgf. It's not that accurate.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
kgf≈kgfm if the m stands for motherfucker, which is a lesser known unit-less metric designation.
Almost:
Megafucker, in addition to kilofucker, decifucker and centifucker...

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Seems like the industry has found they can add a few mm here and there, make all the old parts obsolete and worthless, while at the same time forcing everyone to buy the new shit. Boom! No going back now, the taste of fresh meat is on their cold blooded reptilian lips. This is a business plan they won't walk back from easily I'm guessing.