Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Yeah I think privateer is about his level right now, best result is a win at an Australian state round, never even made the podium at a National and you literally didn't know who he was sitting next to him on a chairlift. There's not a lot there that screams out 'should be on a factory ride' to me.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Pickup trucks have been becoming less and less functional as time goes on. In the 1950s, bow tie daddies drove station wagons. Today they drive pickup "trucks".
I resemble that remark. I've got a 2013 TuRDOR Tacoma, 168k miles. I got it over an Outback because my family has had a few of those and they're fucking lemons. Plus I wanted to separate stinky, wet, muddy gear from the cabin. So when I bought it, I had them put in pleather seats and a locking canopy over the back. I only got the TRD model because I don't know shit about trucks and my brother (who is an off-road geek) told me that to get the 4wd options that were important, that was the best value / easiest to get package. Basically I wanted a 4wd station wagon with great clearance for snow and giant fire road potholes and a sealed off locking trunk, and that's what I got. Yeah it's got the silly TRD decals but at least its got some nice Sierra pinstripes down the sides and little dents and dings everywhere from actually being used as a truck.

It has been super reliable, but the seats are uncomfortable as fuck, and the mileage sucks. I think I've changed the brakes twice. I'm on like the 3rd set of tires, and 4th windshield (making use of my $90 insurance glass deductible). I will probably look to replace it at around 250k miles with one of the new hybrid F150s though: more comfortable cabin and ~50% better mileage.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It has been super reliable, but the seats are uncomfortable as fuck, and the mileage sucks. I think I've changed the brakes twice. I'm on like the 3rd set of tires, and 4th windshield (making use of my $90 insurance glass deductible). I will probably look to replace it at around 250k miles with one of the new hybrid F150s though: more comfortable cabin and ~50% better mileage.
What kind of calipers do they make for it and what did you go with? Willwood? Brembo?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
What kind of calipers do they make for it and what did you go with? Willwood? Brembo?
I just meant I replaced the pads when they got too thin. No idea what brand, just whatever my local shop carried.

Basically at 168k miles the only service I've done is regular wear & tear type. The only non-interval actual mechanical service it's gotten was (I shit you not) having the radiator replaced after an idiot mechanic dropped a screwdriver in it and punctured it... on their dime of course.

Other gripes about it are pretty minor: when wind blows perpendicular to it, the cowling around the windshield sometimes howls, like blowing across the top of a bottle. There's a rattle coming from somewhere in the rear end intermittently that I've never been able to track down.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I just meant I replaced the pads when they got too thin. No idea what brand, just whatever my local shop carried.

Basically at 168k miles the only service I've done is regular wear & tear type. The only non-interval actual mechanical service it's gotten was (I shit you not) having the radiator replaced after an idiot mechanic dropped a screwdriver in it and punctured it... on their dime of course.

Other gripes about it are pretty minor: when wind blows perpendicular to it, the cowling around the windshield sometimes howls, like blowing across the top of a bottle. There's a rattle coming from somewhere in the rear end intermittently that I've never been able to track down.
I think he was fing with you

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Whenever the choice is simple design using previous patents, or more complex design to get around patents, always choose more complex design. What could go wrong?

1597891707462.png

1597891724512.png

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Pickup trucks have been becoming less and less functional as time goes on. In the 1950s, bow tie daddies drove station wagons. Today they drive pickup "trucks".
And the only people that drove vans were were pedos, hippies, tradesmen or delivery drivers. Now ‘vans’ cost $60k+, have their own their own Instagram pages, $300 replacement keys and are being driven by ‘influencers’ wearing the latest Patagonia catalog who clog up every trailhead parking lot living the van life.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
And the only people that drove vans were were pedos, hippies, tradesmen or delivery drivers. Now ‘vans’ cost $60k+, have their own their own Instagram pages, $300 replacement keys and are being driven by ‘influencers’ wearing the latest Patagonia catalog who clog up every trailhead parking lot living the van life.
have you met JBP? :rofl:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
keyfobs have become the norm regardless of vehicle style.
That type of shit is fucked up and why cars cost so much now.

Same thing with backup cameras. If only people used those pesky mirrors that every car comes with, the government wouldn't need to make them mandatory. And now you can watch people backup using JUST the camera and ignoring the mirrors......which is fucking retarded. :banghead:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Backup cameras seem like a fine idea on something Sprinter sized, or anything with less visibility than, say, a Forester, which would be about everything these days.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yeah something like a Sprinter or a vehicle which doesn't have rear windows or is super long, they are good candidates for back up cameras.

But any car, most pickups and such shouldn't be forced to have them, if the buyer doesn't want to pay for them. For some its clear that the camera, which is supposed to improve safety, is actually introducing bad driving habits and reducing safety. I watched a lady the other day put her car into reverse and then stared at her dash while reversing. She only saw an approaching car at the last second, I'm guessing it poked into the view of the camera. Then slammed on the brakes and looked up in shock. Like what the heck...if only you used your neck to look around first.......

/rant

Sorry. Its been a long day. I shall now go drive home in my car that has manual crank windows, manual transmission and little to no creature comforts. But heck, the seats are pretty comfy for a 13 year old car. :D

Same thing with backup cameras. If only people used those pesky mirrors that every car comes with, the government wouldn't need to make them mandatory. And now you can watch people backup using JUST the camera and ignoring the mirrors......which is fucking retarded. :banghead:
I find it hard to scan between camera and mirrors. somehow, I seem to process the camera information differently than I do that from the mirrors. Most of the driver assist functionality on all vehicles that I have tried, save for adaptive cruise control, sucks rocks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
But any car, most pickups and such shouldn't be forced to have them
Consumer Reports used to publish a list of how many feet someone would have to be behind a vehicle to be visible in the mirrors with a male and female driver (and thus different head height relative to the mirrors). It was quite shocking for some.

I can't find that but here's a no-data version:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
$300 keyfobs have become the norm regardless of vehicle style.
Funny story about those: I was cleaning out a massive pile of chips in a CNC machine after machining a mold, had the chip auger turned on, heard a weird noise, didn't think anything of it.
Later on, went to drive home, car won't start, keyfob not in pocket. After a dig through the chip dumpster, my keyfob had been smashed to pieces by the chip auger.

$300 for a new one.

I only have one key fob for my car now, and slightly less pride :)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I love the cross-traffic alert system I've had on the last couple vehicles, that somehow gets vehicles out of view as you are backing and yells at you to stop before they zip right by, where you see that they were oblivious. Works great when you can't see much behind due to vehicles on both sides, walls, etc.

Mirrors...don't even get me started on that. 99% of people set them up incorrectly. They set them up so they can see the side of their vehicle in their side-mirrors, making them redundant with the rear-view mirrors. My car has F-all side visibility, so I find the blind-spot detection still a bit helpful, but that should still be mostly based on mirrors. People are idiots though, they start gluing on those stupid convex balls on their mirrors because they don't know how to set them. You see them trying to merge into traffic, yanking their necks around 180 degrees or whatever several times, slowing way down, trying to "check" their "blind spot"...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
Mirrors...don't even get me started on that. 99% of people set them up incorrectly. They set them up so they can see the side of their vehicle in their side-mirrors, making them redundant with the rear-view mirrors. My car has F-all side visibility, so I find the blind-spot detection still a bit helpful, but that should still be mostly based on mirrors. People are idiots though, they start gluing on those stupid convex balls on their mirrors because they don't know how to set them. You see them trying to merge into traffic, yanking their necks around 180 degrees or whatever several times, slowing way down, trying to "check" their "blind spot"...
Don't get me started... :rant:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Stupid Adidas changing the sizing on FiveTens... Goddammit. Deadset I just want unlimited access to the old Impacts I know and love. Why do things have to change for the worse?

(end old man ranting at cloud)

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Stupid Adidas changing the sizing on FiveTens... Goddammit. Deadset I just want unlimited access to the old Impacts I know and love. Why do things have to change for the worse?

(end old xtreme-XC man ranting at cloud)
I’m pretty happy with the Impact Pro and surprisingly the new Freerider Pro for light duty. I didn’t notice a size difference.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
keyfobs have become the norm regardless of vehicle style.
Ford Transit van for the win. Mine has a number pad on the door so I can leave the key locked inside. I did the build out myself and ended up at $38,000 for a brand new van that loads bikes without hassle, is comfortable to live in, drives and parks easily, and gets 25mpg.

Attachments

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Funny story about those: I was cleaning out a massive pile of chips in a CNC machine after machining a mold, had the chip auger turned on, heard a weird noise, didn't think anything of it.
Later on, went to drive home, car won't start, keyfob not in pocket. After a dig through the chip dumpster, my keyfob had been smashed to pieces by the chip auger.

$300 for a new one.

I only have one key fob for my car now, and slightly less pride :)
brutal. my 2012 subie still has a proper key. i've been meaning to cut down the valet key so it will fit in the storage tube part of my EDC.

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Ford Transit van for the win. Mine has a number pad on the door so I can leave the key locked inside. I did the build out myself and ended up at $38,000 for a brand new van that loads bikes without hassle, is comfortable to live in, drives and parks easily, and gets 25mpg.
Are you gonna do a colab vlog with the Singletrack Sampler, BKXC and Paul the Punter anytime soon? :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Cars are more expensive today. They are also significantly more powerful, reliable, safer, quieter, cleaner, more efficient and more comfortable.

Backup cameras became required when their cost became really low and after safety requirements raised beltlines, increased pillar width and otherwise destroyed backwards visibility. Gone are the days of giant greenhouses with amazing visibility.

30 years ago the same people were bitching about fuel injection and catalytic converters.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Cars are more expensive today. They are also significantly more powerful, reliable, safer, quieter, cleaner, more efficient and more comfortable.

Backup cameras became required when their cost became really low and after safety requirements raised beltlines, increased pillar width and otherwise destroyed backwards visibility. Gone are the days of giant greenhouses with amazing visibility.

30 years ago the same people were bitching about fuel injection and catalytic converters.
Part of it is safety requirements. A lot of it is the psychology of feeling safer with a higher sill line, as stupid as that is.

/me likes his 100 series with thin pillars, a low beltline, but still side airbags and stability control. (And a backup camera.) A good compromise.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Safety lol. My car doesn't even have ABS. It also has a passenger airbag that is on its 3rd recall. Which can't even be replaced right now, because there are none available. :twitch:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Safety lol. My car doesn't even have ABS. It also has a passenger airbag that is on its 3rd recall. Which can't even be replaced right now, because there are none available. :twitch:
Matrix, right? No way that doesn't have ABS...

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I am good with my 7.3 that has 310K on it and I paid $8900 for. I have done $1600 total in brakes, suspension and the fuel pump went out over 12 years.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Matrix, right? No way that doesn't have ABS...
I swear. Its a 2007 and the standard trim level. Only the XR and XRS came with ABS. It actually appears to be a ~$360 option in somethings I'm reading.

:edit: reading this stuff and now I know how much HP this engine has. Never really cared enough to research that before. I'm surprised it is listed at 126, it feels like a lot less. I'm pretty sure a Geo Metro could beat this thing in a race. :rofl: Then again its approaching 300k.

Last edited: