Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Yeah, he posts on his insta stories. Last week was a flat earth youtube vid, bunch of covid hoax stuff before that. Don't have links for you, as that shit vanishes like so many farts in the wind. You'll have to follow yourself.

Guy who's flown around the world racing his bike, thinking the earth is flat. I'm not mad, just disappointed. He's a phenomenal rider, it's just hard to separate supporting such things these days.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yeah, he posts on his insta stories. Last week was a flat earth youtube vid, bunch of covid hoax stuff before that. Don't have links for you, as that shit vanishes like so many farts in the wind. You'll have to follow yourself.

Guy who's flown around the world racing his bike, thinking the earth is flat. I'm not mad, just disappointed. He's a phenomenal rider, it's just hard to separate supporting such things these days.
Flat earth?! Surely he's taking a piss?!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Guy who's flown around over the world racing his bike, thinking the earth is flat. I'm not mad, just disappointed. He's a phenomenal rider, it's just hard to separate supporting such things these days.
But why do our satellite dishes point DOWN in Barrow?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Being just a kid who's afforded the luxury of a team/manager flying you around the world to ride a bike for the weekend is a world away from organising international travel yourself.
And it does look quite flat out of those little airplane windows

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Being just a kid who's afforded the luxury of a team/manager flying you around the world to ride a bike for the weekend is a world away from organising international travel yourself.
And it does look quite flat out of those little airplane windows
Morons.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.

That's so crazy it's hard to imagine he's not taking the piss.

I agree though, disappointing if this was posted earnestly.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Eddie and the Pivot crew seem to be the piss-taking flat earthers. That I can appreciate.

As much as I'd like to think Bryceland was hanging out, taking all the piss and bottling it to sell back to Monster, the clip was about how a earthcentric system would get sunlight and moon phases and seasons, through some sort of sorcery and utter bullshit. Anyway, follow him or don't. He's posted a lot of shit like this in the past few months. If any one knows Peaty, tell him to smack his boy upside the head.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ugh whats happening here...

We've had this kid (26 year old, lol) riding with us for a while and he is shredding on this absolutely clapped out Specialized Hardrock. He's looking for a new bike, but has no idea what he wants, just that he wants it to be a general "trail" bike.

Looking at this Commencal, its $3700 PLUS tax and it comes with SX stuff on it. From what I've read the SX derailluer is made out of plastic and WILL break. What the hell, why are pretty all bike companies low balling us so much? For almost $4000 I'd at the very least expect GX or SLX, or maybe a mix.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

We've had this kid (26 year old, lol) riding with us for a while and he is shredding on this absolutely clapped out Specialized Hardrock. He's looking for a new bike, but has no idea what he wants, just that he wants it to be a general "trail" bike.

Looking at this Commencal, its $3700 PLUS tax and it comes with SX stuff on it. From what I've read the SX derailluer is made out of plastic and WILL break. What the hell, why are pretty all bike companies low balling us so much? For almost $4000 I'd at the very least expect GX or SLX, or maybe a mix.

Bike brands are subsidizing ebikes by raising the bikes' prices. This also makes the higher price tag of the mopeds more palatable. Better look for a brand who doesn't cater to the moped crew, you'll find much better specs for less money. The Ibis Ripmo AF with Deore components is a great example.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

4 grand to "get into the sport." That's some BS right there. I'd recommend used frankly... or a more capable hardtail.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
4 grand to "get into the sport." That's some BS right there. I'd recommend used frankly... or a more capable hardtail.
The used market is bananas. So are a lot of hard tails... He's been riding the hard tail for a while now and has voiced many times how he'd like to not get knocked around on the trail like a ping pong ball. :rofl:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The used market is bananas. So are a lot of hard tails... He's been riding the hard tail for a while now and has voiced many times how he'd like to not get knocked around on the trail like a ping pong ball. :rofl:
Interesting. $2K on the used market doesn't net anything interesting? I suppose everyone wants a bike atm.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Interesting. $2K on the used market doesn't net anything interesting? I suppose everyone wants a bike atm.
Oh there are some interesting bikes for under $2k, when I change the filter for Ontario...

$1200 Trek Marlin hardtail - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2885548/
$1100 2001(!) Rocky Mountain - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2885374/
$1100 OLD Specialized Enduro with two flat tires - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2848171/
$2000 Transition TR250 - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2829966/ Nice bike, but over priced...

And the best one, a chopper - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1822653/

I should offer that guy $50 and go grab that thing just for shits and giggles. haha

::edit:: just did send him an offer :)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
That is some slim pickings. Anything on craigslist/kijiji. None of you have a 26er kicking around somewhere that's an improvement on the current ride?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Oh there are some interesting bikes for under $2k, when I change the filter for Ontario...

$1200 Trek Marlin hardtail - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2885548/
$1100 2001(!) Rocky Mountain - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2885374/
$1100 OLD Specialized Enduro with two flat tires - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2848171/
$2000 Transition TR250 - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2829966/ Nice bike, but over priced...

And the best one, a chopper - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1822653/

I should offer that guy $50 and go grab that thing just for shits and giggles. haha

::edit:: just did send him an offer :)

If he wants a bit more bike, I have a full coil large 2010 Knolly Delirium with CCDB and R2CDH Lyric that I would consider letting go.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
So Allen Millard popped back on n the socials this week. The people sucking him off for making a fixed orifice damper that only doesn't cavitate because he uses stupid high air pressure for the air charge to make it also be the spring is what's wrong with the industry. He made basically the pinnacle of 1970s motorcycle technology, there's a reason no one does that anymore.

The friggen single sided swing arm with the chain inside the swing arm is pretty sweet though. It would be such a quiet bike if he didn't have such an archaic damper design in the fork.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So Allen Millard popped back on n the socials this week. The people sucking him off for making a fixed orifice damper that only doesn't cavitate because he uses stupid high air pressure for the air charge to make it also be the spring is what's wrong with the industry. He made basically the pinnacle of 1970s motorcycle technology, there's a reason no one does that anymore.

The friggen single sided swing arm with the chain inside the swing arm is pretty sweet though. It would be such a quiet bike if he didn't have such an archaic damper design in the fork.
lets not forget he built that bike and shock over a decade ago.

and i'm pretty sure he didn't make a fork damper.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
like i said, it was over a decade ago. i can't remember all the details. still cool as hell for a homemade project. would be neat to see him make a more modern bike.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The people sucking him off for making a fixed orifice damper that only doesn't cavitate because he uses stupid high air pressure for the air charge to make it also be the spring is what's wrong with the industry.
Care to elaborate why an oleo strut would be such a bad design? I understand they are mostly used in hig-load/low-frequency applications, such as aircraft landing gear, or tank/armored vehicles, but at first glance and if the damping circuits are well built, I can't see why they wouldn't work.

These guys are suppossedly close to market now, the coronaggeddon kept them from moving forward:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Care to elaborate why an oleo strut would be such a bad design? I understand they are mostly used in hig-load/low-frequency applications, such as aircraft landing gear, or tank/armored vehicles, but at first glance and if the damping circuits are well built, I can't see why they wouldn't work.

These guys are suppossedly close to market now, the coronaggeddon kept them from moving forward:

You're only going to get a linear damping rate, until flow cavitates though the orifice then the rate will spike and be random with each event. But since he's running like 3000psi in the shock, it probably won't cavitate. But that means you need to carry around a 4500psi scuba or paintball tank to change your shock pressure/spring rate. He also made it sound like it didn't even have any check valves so it'll have the same rate in compression and rebound. It's also going to have either very little oil volume or a very progressive spring rate judging by the size of the shock, the fork could go either way, and the fork sounded like it was cavitating in the video of it running.

This arrangement is popular with aircraft because safety and thus reliability, and weight are the primary design goals. A damper doesn't get much simpler than a plate with a hole in it. They can only fail from the seals leaking, damage to a sealing surface from an external object, or overheated hydraulic fluid. There's no springs or plungers or bladders to fail like in damper designs more focused on performance.

And I'm not saying the guy is bad for the industry, making cool shit in your shed is awesome. I'm bagging on the people who are acting like he's an innovator and they want to buy that sweet shock so bad cause his son goes so fast. His bikes go fast because of the rider.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Garbage or not, its very awesome that he made the bikes in his shed basically.
huge fan. absolutely amazing what he's fabricated in his shed. was just watching his latest vid on his 5L v-twin - fabbing the rods, crank, CRANKCASE, etc from scratch. "oh, i didn't like the way the SU carbs i tried worked, so i made my own". this man is the patron saint of shed tinkering.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
huge fan. absolutely amazing what he's fabricated in his shed. was just watching his latest vid on his 5L v-twin - fabbing the rods, crank, CRANKCASE, etc from scratch. "oh, i didn't like the way the SU carbs i tried worked, so i made my own". this man is the patron saint of shed tinkering.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Was actually thinking about this and Karen behavior in general. Seems like a tough nut to crack. Don't want to hear anything you have to say, when you say it, they're not listening. Does anyone have suggestions for how to deal with such folk?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Was actually thinking about this and Karen behavior in general. Seems like a tough nut to crack. Don't want to hear anything you have to say, when you say it, they're not listening. Does anyone have suggestions for how to deal with such folk?
Dont let them harsh your buzz. Some people just dont get it. Try not to say fuck off as you ride on having fun, while karen is all pissed off :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Deal with them the same way as road rage people, smile and wave and watch the nuclear implosion unfold in your mirror.