Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Everyone on this site is so anal about 1mm of BB height, 1/10th of a degree of HTA/STA, .5mm chainstay length and grams of weight. How can dropping the back of the bike by an inch have any benefits?

Ps. Not just DH bikes, but any bikes

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
For me it's not dropping the rear of the bike. On a properly done mullet the geometry doesn't get compromised, I just want a big front wheel but also not grab the rear tire in my ass cheeks. If I had an inseam over 36" I wouldn't care what diameter the rear tire is.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not really.
27.5" wheels are closer to 26 than 29'ers. 13mm I believe. Half that gives you the other 1/4".

Another PERFECT example of "what's wrong with the industry"
A 26" tire in a real mountain bike size (say, a 2.5 DHF) is a lot bigger than 26" OD. Doing your math based on the nominal sizes is nonsense.

3/4" is the correct difference in radius.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What I find dumb about the wheel size thing is kids bikes don't have a 26" option anymore. Wheels go from 12", 14", 16", 20", 24", ..., 27.5". Devinci isn't even bothering with the 27.5" anymore. My son is on a 24" Commençal at the moment, and starting to outgrow it. He seems to enjoy mountain biking, so I'm willing to invest a little. I'd also like to get him something that fits. A bike with 26" wheels seems like the logical step. I might even have considered a small 27.5" bike, but forget jumping from 24 to 29. That's just dumb. There are some brands making decent 26" kids bikes (Commençal and Nukeproof), but I don't feel the value proposition is there with those bikes...

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
A 26" tire in a real mountain bike size (say, a 2.5 DHF) is a lot bigger than 26" OD. Doing your math based on the nominal sizes is nonsense.

3/4" is the correct difference in radius.
Nope. Cause a 27.5" tire in a real mountain bike size (say, a 2.5 DHF) is a lot bigger than 27.5" OD.

29'ers are the same.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not really.
27.5" wheels are closer to 26 than 29'ers. 13mm I believe. Half that gives you the other 1/4".

Another PERFECT example of "what's wrong with the industry"
3/4 is the amount of axle drop you'd get putting a 27.5 wheel in a 29" rear end - which is what you were talking about in your post; it's half the difference between the BSD of a 29" wheel and a 27.5" wheel (diameter of a 29" wheel is about 1.5" larger than 275). it's a half inch drop if you ran a 26 wheel in a 275 frame (1" diameter difference).

1601565343677.png

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What I find dumb about the wheel size thing is kids bikes don't have a 26" option anymore. Wheels go from 12", 14", 16", 20", 24", ..., 27.5". Devinci isn't even bothering with the 27.5" anymore. My son is on a 24" Commençal at the moment, and starting to outgrow it. He seems to enjoy mountain biking, so I'm willing to invest a little. I'd also like to get him something that fits. A bike with 26" wheels seems like the logical step. I might even have considered a small 27.5" bike, but forget jumping from 24 to 29. That's just dumb. There are some brands making decent 26" kids bikes (Commençal and Nukeproof), but I don't feel the value proposition is there with those bikes...
on the flip, when my kid gets big enough for a 26er, the used market is going to be filled with very decent bikes that fit her. There's very little I want to change on my 26" DH bike...but then who rides DH anymore LOL

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
giant trance jr?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I bought a Devinci Spartan 27 LTD in 2018 in order to keep my 26er 2013 Pivot Mach5.7c (size small) in good shape for my son. He will ride it next year.

On the other hand, I bought a 29er for my wife, as I I think the bigger wheels should make it a bit easier for her on rougher terrain. It will be the first 29er to get in the house.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Giant has a couple: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes/mountain-bikes/26-inch

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Everyone on this site is so anal about 1mm of BB height, 1/10th of a degree of HTA/STA, .5mm chainstay length and grams of weight. How can dropping the back of the bike by an inch have any benefits?

Ps. Not just DH bikes, but any bikes
i can tell you what color my bikes are, but that's about it...
I can tell you my IronHorse is so far off from what's 'necessary' to ride that if not for Rims and Tires going away at staggering nos., I'd just keep riding the thing.

Wanting to follow Vital's latest Forum Thread added to their homepage. Topic is about abandoned Formula 1 Engine Power (mid 2000), putting it on DH bikes because, pedaling is work and gets hard. Literally someone thought out (with all incorrect factoid... likely intentional the post is so utterly F'in stupid) taking a 100,000rpm flywheel that acts as a Capacitor, fit it to a Bicycle Frame in order to have that Capacitive Discharge into electric-assist. As if.

First - it was not whatever F1 Constructor they'd highlighted that even created the Tech - it was Porsche. Porsche the large scale Auto Manufacturer who'd shared it with F1 Engineers - this the KERS power-in power-out electric assist units - and then added it for the 918 Spyder. FiA and F1 found it to be too inconsistent in cost and in production, binned it after 2 season.

The sheer nonsense surrounding a Bike and those who sustain the image nowdays, just shit, shit, shit. One person needs to see such drivel at from the hands of some mechanic at a shop and could instantly flash-forward to an Industry that's high-risk and a loss for securing Capitol, or even worse, land access.

First - if the very concept of pedalling a chosen bike back up a hill in order to ride back down it is too-exhausting then, someone has gone and made poor lifestyle choices and either needs to focus on their physical health and conditioning or...

Second - give up Bicycles. Add motors, enormous tires that do little to add to traction going forward and infact slow the bike down - buy a friggin' Motorcycle.

Is just garbage lovin' for the sake of being on an Internet Site, as opposed to curating a sport w/ history. And, since this Vital member is seemingly affiliated with the Industry, I cringe at the motivational factor for such a thread's creation and, what costs are to be passed on to Consumers in say the next 5 years.

This sport is doomed, literally has become it's own albatross and has passed it's usefulness.

Regardless the style, the Bike that was once an escape from redundant Fossil Fuels is now dependent upon them at disgusting levels. Electric Technology is not free.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Meanwhile, I am currently getting a custom painted 853 steel 27.5 hardtail next month.
To hell with what the industry is doing.
What color? I just picked up a used switchback for shitty Winter and generally wet local rides. Decided to freshen it up while I wait for the wheels to arrive (Hope are 5 weeks behind), so it is going in next week for paint.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I told you guys 2 years ago that 650 was going the way of the
View attachment 150344
And that is what is really wrong with the industry! They are all about "we want to be inclusive...more female riders....get more kids into biking....". However, if you look at the data, by offering 29" only bikes they deny roughly 1/3 of the males and 2/3 of the females a bike that is actually properly proportioned. It is great that there are now better options for tall riders, but every time I see a vertically challenged rider having uncomfortable contact with their rear tire, I want the industry persons responsible for that nonsense have 29" of rubber shoved up their asses. :rant:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Just think 10 years ago most major brands were selling frames that my 6th grader would ride as their MD or LG frames.

Yeah, that sort of sucks for the short breeds out there.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
The new frames are great for us shorties, now I find a bike that can have a meaningful seat drop but not have reach that makes me look like a bear riding a unicycle.