Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
fork abomination aside, aggressively tilted down saddles need to fuck right off.

also: do all of chris porter's disciples have especially precious taints?
Those are also great with their falling-rate suspension and a coil.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Those are also great with their falling-rate suspension and a coil.
i spent some time on a murmur. great handling bike, and the suspension was "ok" - with an air can stuffed full of spacers. running a coil on one doesn't *seem* ideal. tho evidently there's people out there running them happily so... shrug?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i spent some time on a murmur. great handling bike, and the suspension was "ok" - with an air can stuffed full of spacers. running a coil on one doesn't *seem* ideal. tho evidently there's people out there running them happily so... shrug?
GG shows how a SP solid triangle bike should be orientated to have progressiveness. If the angle of the main pivot and swingarm shock mount pass the vertical plane, relative to the shock frame mount, it becomes falling rate. After that point, the wheel moves more and more for each mm of shock travel. So you either see the rear triangle as with GG where the rear mount is pushed way back, or the shock mounted way far down on the downtube like pointing towards the ground at a 45 degree angle, except that's shit for structural efficiency and requires a massively overbuilt downtube.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Auto industry is always such a dipshit when it comes to bikes and racks. They'll sell you some hitch rack from 1990 where your bikes swing back and forth or a roof-rack on a lifted jeep, lol. So fucking dumb.
they really are out of touch. mtb'ers eat tacos and burritos, not hot dogs

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Auto industry is always such a dipshit when it comes to bikes and racks. They'll sell you some hitch rack from 1990 where your bikes swing back and forth or a roof-rack on a lifted jeep, lol. So fucking dumb.
They seem to do it better across the pond:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They seem to do it better across the pond:

In general yes, but the attachments are just bizarre in Yurp too, not just that crazy J-shaped thing that comes from under the bumper, but they use mounts that go through the bumper on some BMWs, as in one on each side about halfway up the rear of the car, etc. They seem to be a lot less interchangeable and you have a lot less rack choices, although you are more certain that the OEM or intended rack will work fine with your vehicle.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
How the F are you supposed to load and unload this by your lonesome?
Even with help it would be a shitshow. :rofl:

Now lets talk about auxiliary fuel tanks, cause your gonna need them trying to push that through the atmosphere. Bikes on top absolutely kills gas mileage. I got a pair of perfectly good Thule Sidearm roof-rack mounts that have cost multiple times their purchase cost in added fuel expenditures.

Single with single add-on One-up hitch mount FTW.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How the F are you supposed to load and unload this by your lonesome?
Even with help it would be a shitshow. :rofl:

Now lets talk about auxiliary fuel tanks, cause your gonna need them trying to push that through the atmosphere. Bikes on top absolutely kills gas mileage. I got a pair of perfectly good Thule Sidearm roof-rack mounts that have cost multiple times their purchase cost in added fuel expenditures.

Single with single add=on One-up hitch mount FTW.
It brings back memories of watching one of @Dirtrider 's buddies, who if I remember correctly was shorter than I (at 5'7), load his bike up on a roof rack on top of a Tahoe. I dunno how he did it without breaking a leg or sending a pedal through the window. :rofl:

But alas, this Jeep has an entire drawer dedicated to a ladder for loading your bike!

As if a Gladiator wasn't already a useless "pickup".... :rofl::rofl:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
It brings back memories of watching one of @Dirtrider 's buddies, who if I remember correctly was shorter than I (at 5'7), load his bike up on a roof rack on top of a Tahoe. I dunno how he did it without breaking a leg or sending a pedal through the window. :rofl:

But alas, this Jeep has an entire drawer dedicated to a ladder for loading your bike!

As if a Gladiator wasn't already a useless "pickup".... :rofl::rofl:
Oh, I know it's got a ladder.
Ever tried climbing up or down a ladder with a bike without fucking something up?
Did it once, and only once and that was a BMX onto a motorhome.
Even with a helper, I envision scraped and dented bodywork at a minimum.

Did they even once talk to an actual mountain biker that roadtrips?

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i've been doing my nomad on top of our highlander since march when i totaled my car and we haven't gotten another. it's a pain, but now that i've gotten the system down it's not too bad. hitch would obviously be superior, but we already had the crossbars for our cargo box, and the yakima roof racks from my car fit.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Oh, I know it's got a ladder.
Ever tried climbing up or down a ladder with a bike without fucking something up?
Did it once, and only once and that was a BMX onto a motorhome.
Even with a helper, I envision scraped and dented bodywork at a minimum.

Did they even once talk to an actual mountain biker that roadtrips?
in europe there are backpacks with a bike mount for bike climbing, just get creative!

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
in europe there are backpacks with a bike mount for bike climbing, just get creative!
Ok, we have pretty much nailed down the system for loading our foot-cycle onto our GP vee-hikle.

Pulls out fancy ladder and attaches it ready for use.
Straps bike onto backpack
Puts on specialized bike carrying backpack.
Dons climbing shoes and chalk-bag.
Checks cams and nuts are secure and in reach
Scales humongous SUV.
Removes bike from transportation fixture.
Secures bike to rack.
Scales back down to terra-firma.
Stowes climbing shoes, chalk bag and climbing aids.
Removes bike backpack and stowes it away.
Puts fancy ladder back into the bumper.
Grabs beer and turns around for a little bench racing.
Guys?... Umm Guys?... Where is everybody?
Notices it is almost dark and the parking lot is empty...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Never knew about the pack, but it does make sense for those Hike-a-bike accents the europeans seem to be fond of. Kinda cool, and on hind-sight, very surprised I have not heard of them before.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Never knew about the pack, but it does make sense for those Hike-a-bike accents the europeans seem to be fond of. Kinda cool, and on hind-sight, very surprised I have not heard of them before.
there are several systems:

Last edited: