Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
e fat foes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
e fat foes.

Fuck, that is not the updated Mutz I was hoping for.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Hubs

You want a CK? No problem. Width, axle diameter, spoke count, color and what driver. Done.

Hadley- Width, axle diameter, spoke count, color and what driver. Done.

I9- Width, axle diameter, spoke count, color, what driver AND j-bend or proprietary spokes. Done.

Onyx- Width, axle diameter, spoke count, color and what driver. Done.

DT Swiss - Did you want the 180, 220, 240, 260, 320, 340, 350, 410, 440?

WTF.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Hubs

You want a CK? No problem. Width, axle diameter, spoke count, color and what driver. Done.

- Also comes with bullet proof custom bearings with adjustable preload, and legendary reliability

Hadley- Width, axle diameter, spoke count, color and what driver. Done.

- Legendary reliability and adjustable preload, rad sealing and low drag

I9- Width, axle diameter, spoke count, color, what driver AND j-bend or proprietary spokes. Done.

- Makes a god awful racket gymicky 690 POE BS thats probably a thrid of that if its enguaging other ratchets, piss poor sealing, garbage enduro bearings, and no preload system.

Onyx- Width, axle diameter, spoke count, color and what driver. Done.

- Not really all that quiteter when your A pedaling up a hill, or B bombing down listening to wind and knobz diggin dirt... springy feel, and the feeling your riding a wallmart bike with a coaster brake.

DT Swiss - Did you want the 180, 220, 240, 260, 320, 340, 350, 410, 440?

- legendary simplicity and durability at many price poionts.............

Ill take I9 for this is
what's wrong with the industry....

WTF.

let me fix this up for you.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
God forbid DT offer multiple models at different price points.
I could help simplify it for you: DT Swiss 240 ... or if you wallet is light: DT Swiss 350.

I hope that's not too complicated ;)

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I could help simplify it for you: DT Swiss 240 ... or if you wallet is light: DT Swiss 350.

I hope that's not too complicated ;)
Not to mention that they only have three current models of aftermarket hub. It's not rocket surgery.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
so glad hope's not on there. cause the two sets that have lasted for years and years aren't what's wrong with the industry.
Two sets - 2010 and 2013 still going strong except for one bearing in one front hub.
Come on, one bad bearing in a combined 17 years - Definitely what is wrong with the industry.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
what's the deal with Hope cassette bodies though? they're made of the softest metal I've ever seen. Otherwise yea, they last forever.

I have a Chris King rear wheel (currently on my Evil) that's has to be 20 years old.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
I guess I am the only one that hated my CK singlespeed disc hub.

It would slip if chain tension on the ebb wasn't just right, and after a decade of riding I stress fractured the hub shell.

Really digging the Halo DJD Supadrive I replaced it with.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
what's the deal with Hope cassette bodies though? they're made of the softest metal I've ever seen. Otherwise yea, they last forever.

I have a Chris King rear wheel (currently on my Evil) that's has to be 20 years old.
I'm running an old hayes/dt-hugi rear hub on my evil... probably 20 years old. (i've had it 13+ years)
On the front is a ck 20mm hub that's probably similar vintage (i'm the 3rd owner and I've had it about 9 years)

Done overhauls on both hubs... once in all that time. Can't ask for more than that.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i mean, i guess it's cool as a concept, as a parent that has been shopping for kids bikes weight is always a consideration. so its neat to see something so light. but fuck that price tag.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I snapped up a 16" Commencal with pedals & brakes for my 4yo for 1/3 of that price.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Serious question regarding balance bikes....

Why do they not have a rear brake?
I have visions of kid careening down a driveway and out into the street.
Same with any even slightly hilly environment - seems like it would be either have the child get off and walk, or watch an impending edition of Friday Fails....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Serious question regarding balance bikes....

Why do they not have a rear brake?
I have visions of kid careening down a driveway and out into the street.
Same with any even slightly hilly environment - seems like it would be either have the child get off and walk, or watch an impending edition of Friday Fails....
balance bikes are for 2-3 year old kids. kids that young generally can't operate a brake.

my daughter definitely blew a corner after coming down a hill and crashed into the street once. that's why we have them wear helmets and knee/elbow pads.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
balance bikes are for 2-3 year old kids. kids that young generally can't operate a brake.

my daughter definitely blew a corner after coming down a hill and crashed into the street once. that's why we have them wear helmets and knee/elbow pads.
But yeah, you have to teach them about speed and hills, otherwise...

Had a few heart-stopping moments...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
But yeah, you have to teach them about speed and hills, otherwise...

Had a few heart-stopping moments...
Its fucking terrifying watching kids learn. You don't wanna be over-protective but years of riding bikes means you can spot catastrophe a mile away...

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah, kids can really hurt themselves yadda yadda yadda

Or they can grow up watching Danny Macaskill videos, start riding striders at 1.5 and by 3 they're doing this kind of stuff...
Ah its not them getting hurt I'm worried about. Kids are bulletproof. Its the headache of dealing with upset mothers and grandmothers.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Ah its not them getting hurt I'm worried about. Kids are bulletproof. Its the headache of dealing with upset mothers and grandmothers.
We went to the ER for the first time because of my kid when he was 5 months old. He stabbed his inner ear with those tiny, sharp fingernails babies have, and started bleeding as much as a scene from Nightmare on Elm Street. He was all giggles by the time we reached the hospital thought...

Fast forward 8 years, he already has three broken bones, a few stitches on his chin, and bruised knees became an everyday sight.

The best part is we as parents can't say a thing, since both me and my wife were much worse children in terms of self care.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I take my boy to the BMX track all the time and his mum is always super nervous and over dresses him. She wants him to do a safer sport like soccer. First broken bone - soccer collision.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my parents used to say they were nervous that the ER would call child services on them due to the frequency of our visits and the cuts and bruises all over my legs from skateboarding.

i have fond memories of our now-15yo tearing around our local trails on his balance bike. somewhere i have a vid of him wrecking the crap out of himself off of a bridge at the bottom of a hill. :rofl:

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I take my boy to the BMX track all the time and his mum is always super nervous and over dresses him. She wants him to do a safer sport like soccer. First broken bone - soccer collision.
Had my worst injuries from soccer... and no longer play as a result of fear of injury from other players. Bikes on the other hand: lifetime of enjoyment.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Had my worst injuries from soccer... and no longer play as a result of fear of injury from other players. Bikes on the other hand: lifetime of enjoyment.
Most of my 40-something friends play a lot of futsal, or futbol 5 as we call it down here, and as a result have the knees of 90-year-old marathonists. In fact, one of them has dropped off our next bike trip in two weeks because he wasted his right knee in a match last Sunday.