Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yes total quadrangle.
Hypermotards are nightmares.
Their name pisses me off hypermotard? As in hyper > super?? Nope, will get raped hard by a supermotard in the tight
Since I know you want to be accurate in everything you say or write, there is no "r" in Quadangle. :busted:

My understanding is that pretty much all Ducatis are nightmares. That doesn't prevent me from dreaming about getting one. As for the Hyper, I've ridden them and they don't give up much (if anything) in tight twisties as compared to other street legal 'tards, at least not at my level, and they're faster once the road opens up or if (gasp) you need to ride on the freeway from time-to-time.

Plus, they piss off people like you who get their panties all bunched up over trivial shit like what someone else is riding (or what it's called), which is another benefit. :dance:

But that reminds me, we probably need a motorcycle thread...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Since I know you want to be accurate in everything you say or write, there is no "r" in Quadangle. :busted:

My understanding is that pretty much all Ducatis are nightmares. That doesn't prevent me from dreaming about getting one. As for the Hyper, I've ridden them and they don't give up much (if anything) in tight twisties as compared to other street legal 'tards, at least not at my level, and they're faster once the road opens up or if (gasp) you need to ride on the freeway from time-to-time.

Plus, they piss off people like you who get their panties all bunched up over trivial shit like what someone else is riding (or what it's called), which is another benefit. :dance:

But that reminds me, we probably need a motorcycle thread...
Damned phone adding "r"s to things without my permission.....

Its a cool bike...
But I know of one that caught on fire at the dealer....
And the name just bugs me man.....
Just like the name down country pisses people off...

Yeah it doesn't give up anything to a drz400, but um a plated real 450sm or something like an sxv550... it won't hang in the tight canyons.. it will for sure outrun them in the open... but open is like more boring than riding your dh bike on a fire road.... I feel like bikes on the street are a snooze anywayz I have more fun in the back yard track on a cr80 or xr100 than my sxv on the streets, have to go to the canyon and back it in... still not like dirt tho....

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Damned phone adding "r"s to things without my permission.....

Its a cool bike...
But I know of one that caught on fire at the dealer....
And the name just bugs me man.....
Just like the name down country pisses people off...

Yeah it doesn't give up anything to a drz400, but um a plated real 450sm or something like an sxv550... it won't hang in the tight canhones.. it will for sure outrun them in the open... but open is like more boring than riding your dh bike on a fire road.... I feel like bikes on the street are a snooze anywayz I have more fun in the back yard track on a cr80 or xr100 than my sxv on the streets, have to go to the canyon and back it in... still not like dirt tho....
Fair points. A well sorted KTM 690 or Husky 701 probably makes more sense. But these decisions are not always rational, are they?

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Holy smokes. This thread still exists, and the same characters inhabit it.

Relevant content: The industry sucks because of something that escapes me, but doesn't involve 26" wheels.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Holy smokes. This thread still exists, and the same characters inhabit it.

Relevant content: The industry sucks because of something that escapes me, but doesn't involve 26" wheels.

Was more thinking the underpaid employees, possible slave labour, way overpriced, pollution, bikes built for smurfs, the racing organization to stupid to get real money sponsors. Also, did I mention subsidizing road racing with MTB entree fees....oh and Gravel Bikes.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
oh and Gravel Bikes
I hadn't hit the trails near home since mid December (had to take a very hard certification exam, got sick -not COVID luckily-, then take care of the family for the holidays) and when I went there last Sunday, there were maybe 25 guys with FREAKING DOGS ATTACHED TO GRAVEL BIKES.

Seriously, on top of the crowding from all the guys who never jumped on a bike until the government authorized cycling we're seeing in our mostly unknown trails, not this? Gravel bikers on rooty/muddy singletrack trais, at walking pace, with dogs tied to their bikes because who-knows-why...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
People riding gravel bikes is why some of the singletrack near me is now 4ft wide with go-arounds near any rocks.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
I hadn't hit the trails near home since mid December (had to take a very hard certification exam, got sick -not COVID luckily-, then take care of the family for the holidays) and when I went there last Sunday, there were maybe 25 guys with FREAKING DOGS ATTACHED TO GRAVEL BIKES.

Seriously, on top of the crowding from all the guys who never jumped on a bike until the government authorized cycling we're seeing in our mostly unknown trails, not this? Gravel bikers on rooty/muddy singletrack trais, at walking pace, with dogs tied to their bikes because who-knows-why...
It's an actual sport. https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/training/bikejoring-is-this-adrenaline-inducing-sport-right-for-you-and-your-dog/

I think it was derived from the ski version Skijoring. I see a few every now and then around here, but they tend to stay off the real trails. It never looks very controlled to me.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
It's probably not stuffed with nasty shit like haggis is, right?? :D
I admit I've never had it since it was Kohl's favorite dish and it literally translates to Sow's Stomach, but it doesn't sound half bad to be honest: "Saumagen stuffing consists of potatoes and pork, usually spiced with onions, marjoram, nutmeg and white pepper, in addition to which, various recipes also mention cloves, coriander, thyme, garlic, bay leaf, cardamom, basil, caraway, allspice, and parsley "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saumagen

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Drunken riding crew raised a valid point today - if 29er wheels are better and faster - why don't they have their own category to stop racing turning into an arms race that makes the bikes unusable at speeds attainable by regular humans? Anyways - back to the pints.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Drunken riding crew raised a valid point today - if 29er wheels are better and faster - why don't they have their own category to stop racing turning into an arms race that makes the bikes unusable at speeds attainable by regular humans? Anyways - back to the pints.
Are they really unusable to normal people? I think I'm fairly normal and seem to get on quite well with my large Commencal supreme 29 and large Transition Sentinel. These bikes are bigger than any of the pros we're using 10 years ago (maybe even 5 years ago) and to be honest I have no desire to go back to the sizes I used to ride.

Also, haggis is delicious.

Last edited:

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Are they really unusable to normal people? I think I'm fairly normal and seem to get on quite well with my large Commencal supreme 29 and large Transition Sentinel. These bikes are bigger than any of the pros we're using 10 years ago (maybe even 5 years ago) and to be honest I have no desire to go back to the sizes I used to ride.

I think they are both relevant and fun to ride in the right places. People like to “debate” important topics. Ask toodles about seat angles and the debate continues.....

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I think they are both relevant and fun to ride in the right places. People like to “debate” important topics. Ask toodles about seat angles and the debate continues.....
Oh I absolutely appreciate that some people don't want a modern geo bike. But they still make bikes that are on the traditional side, or you can buy a smaller size, nothing wrong with that.
Seat angles eh? I think steep seat angles should be in the what's right with the industry thread, but again, I realise that they are not for everyone.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

It's like Oysters. You just don't get it.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The word debate implies the existence of some kind of balanced argument from the other side of the coin :p

Also, don't mind my ramblings on the wheel size thing - i think it was just more along the lines of making manufacturers back up their "X%" better stronger faster bullshit by taking a time penalty if they're really game changers.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
Should they only take a time penalty when it's a wheel size? What about a reach of over 500mm,or a head tube angle less than 64°? What about a sticky compound tyre? You could easily argue that an ultrasoft Magic Mary has zero relevance to the vast majority of riders but they use those for downhill racing.
Or is out only advancements that you personally don't like that should be given time penalties or made to race their own category?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I thought the original point was about wheel size (29), not geo etc. 29er being faster and therefor its own category, and how pro riders's bikes relate to normal peeps.

I have zero opinion though

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Should they only take a time penalty when it's a wheel size? What about a reach of over 500mm,or a head tube angle less than 64°? What about a sticky compound tyre? You could easily argue that an ultrasoft Magic Mary has zero relevance to the vast majority of riders but they use those for downhill racing.
Or is out only advancements that you personally don't like that should be given time penalties or made to race their own category?
I would make either/or rules. For example, you can either ride your 29er and baggy clothing or a 26" bike and a skinsuit and no peak. That way shorter riders that are at a disadvantage with not being able to ride a 29er could level the playing field. But I guess all the 29er riders would not want that, because aero will win.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I would make either/or rules. For example, you can either ride your 29er and baggy clothing or a 26" bike and a skinsuit and no peak. That way shorter riders that are at a disadvantage with not being able to ride a 29er could level the playing field. But I guess all the 29er riders would not want that, because aero will win.
viveleskinsuit.jpg