Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The most practical and economical solution is actually for the rider to get fitter and stronger, then you can run the slightly better spaced 11 speed 11-42 (or even go back to far cheaper and more durable 10 speed 11-36).
But that might involve actually spending your time riding your bike rather than discussing the shortcomings of modern cassettes online. ;)
11-42 plus e-assist yo

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Naaahhh Braah

I said - "The most practical and economical solution is actually for the rider to get fitter and stronger, "
You could say the same about attaching a motor and battery to "assist" you...
Then i said - "Omitting the "economical" part "
ie. attaching a motor and battery to assist you is indeed practical but NOT "economical"

m'kay ?

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
That's a fanboi video. The guy goes the distance on his accompanying blog post trying to save Shimano's ass because the clutch cover doesn't seal the way it should.

I read somewhere else (PB if memory serves me well) Shimano was shipping a replacement kit with a new clutch cover, the screws and a rubber gasket. Seems like the failure is happening to all the 12 speed RDs.
And the return spring in the shifters, and seals for the new calipers pistons. Not a good look on shimano.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Oh I absolutely appreciate that some people don't want a modern geo bike. But they still make bikes that are on the traditional side, or you can buy a smaller size, nothing wrong with that.
Seat angles eh? I think steep seat angles should be in the what's right with the industry thread, but again, I realise that they are not for everyone.
I thought the original point was about wheel size (29), not geo etc. 29er being faster and therefor its own category, and how pro riders's bikes relate to normal peeps.

I have zero opinion though
I'm with Rhubarb. I thought the original discussion was about wheel sizes. There's no reason we can't have modern geo on smaller wheel sizes. I just don't like bigger wheels. But I like modern geo.
Just received my first issue of Men's Journal.
same here. took a bit of 'splainin to the wife... she was worried I'd gone all metro-sexual on her. luckily, at the same time, I received my reimbursement, so won't be getting any more (I hope).

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

just needs an angle set
:think:

close, but not quite modern geometry. Also, that bike is what? 10 years old?! I have nothing against 29rs (that train has left the station), but they're not my preference... I'd still be happily riding my 26r if I had been able to find a frame with modern geometry. I think perhaps Banshee might be the only ones still making a frame that would have liked. But at the time the Rune was still new, and I wanted a little more travel than the Spitfire offers. Plus, I was worried about being able to get replacement parts for it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
long, low, not as slack as it could be, but for the time the pitch was quite modern...

only downside was the missing tapered headtube
A buddy of mine had one. In fact, I advised him on the purchase. It was indeed, a good bike. His kids then rode it, it is now his wife's bike. But tbh, I think it's been cannibalized for parts (or whatever fits on the new, modern "standards".... which is what - brakes maybe?)

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Just when I was really starting to like what Scott has done over the last years to their line up, a little birdie tells me that they have bought Bold and we are getting some integrated shocks. The changes will probably affect the more trail and XC oriented bikes, but I'd take accessability over clean looks any time, regardless of bike category.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just when I was really starting to like what Scott has done over the last years to their line up, a little birdie tells me that they have bought Bold and we are getting some integrated shocks. The changes will probably affect the more trail and XC oriented bikes, but I'd take accessability over clean looks any time, regardless of bike category.
Well yeah, that'd be like Specialized or Trek not doing something stupid like cockblocks, trunnion shocks, other proprietary stuff. You know deep down, they are just itching too all the time.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Well yeah, that'd be like Specialized or Trek not doing something stupid like cockblocks, trunnion shocks, other proprietary stuff. You know deep down, they are just itching too all the time.
aren't they already doing silly stuff with extraneous crap like twinloc, etc? you know, the one that gives you THREE BIKES IN ONE???!?!?!?

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I've been adding some missing tools to my bike shop and bought a torque wrench a couple of weeks ago. Was just going by feel forever, including on carbon bars/stems/steerers/seatposts. Went around and checked the bolts on everything and I was under spec across the board, and nothing ever moved on me.

It's nice to have a torque wrench to know for sure, and when working on friends bikes, but my hands seem to be pretty well calibrated.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've been adding some missing tools to my bike shop and bought a torque wrench a couple of weeks ago. Was just going by feel forever, including on carbon bars/stems/steerers/seatposts. Went around and checked the bolts on everything and I was under spec across the board, and nothing ever moved on me.

It's nice to have a torque wrench to know for sure, and when working on friends bikes, but my hands seem to be pretty well calibrated.
man you'd be terrible at metrology. if you're consistently under spec, your precision is ok but your accuracy is not. go eat some more ham.

:busted:

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I was under the max torque specified. I didn't measure, but I can only assume all of the bolts tightened by hand would have had the same torque value :D.

If a stem says 5NM max, does that mean you need to tighten it to 5NM and only 5NM?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was under the max torque specified. I didn't measure, but I can only assume all of the bolts tightened by hand would have had the same torque value :D.

If a stem says 5NM max, does that mean you need to tighten it to 5NM and only 5NM?
well ideally with a torque spec you want it spec'd with a nominal value +/- an acceptable tolerance range. by only defining the upper limit it leaves it open for having things well under the functional torque limit, and we can't have that. thanks bike industry.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yup a tolerance or range would be nice.
Some companies say torque to X, while other say max is X. They are not necessarily the same thing. What I have ended up doing is usually dependant upon the movement and creak factor.

If it says max 6nm, then I generally torque to 5.
If it creaks (happens) or moves (not yet) then max the pig out.

Brakes on the other hand are tightened to the point where the don't easily move, but will move easily in a crash.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Yeah, I've had bad luck torqueing to the full value, snapping bolts on both chainring and stem to 7n-m specs. Both of those I now do at 5n-m now, which is in line with other similar sized bolts.
The one place I do try to go right at the suggested value is on linkage bolts. Too loose and you get slop. Too much and you cause excess friction and/or side load the bearings.
Bottom brackets and cassettes I do either right at or just below the spec, depending on what it is (I'll match a 25n-m, usually go just under a 40n-m), for ease of removal.