Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If I did Northstar or Mammoth 3+ times a year a DH bike may make sense. I was way quicker on the DH bike at Northstar compared to the Trail bike even though it felt like I was going half the speed. Last year YT had a good deal and Specialized had the Team Demo for $3250 so half off. Still, $3K is a good chunk of $$$
Yeah I have nothing against enduro, I'm actually floored at how far it progressed...I keep looking to snag a frame sooner than later as alot of riding is non lift.... yeah with the current situation prices are insane on alot of bikes right now....
I keep looking and started to get up to speed on geo, frames, travel, etc so I have a baseline when I get one.. gonna have to be semi slack period...and laid back post. Reach I do want something with some real estate...

That is where I think the biggest gains came in, enduro...I went to veil last Sunday to ride and watch some of the set ups....I will get one.

How do you like yours and what do you consider to be the main thing on one? What to look for.
I won't back off rocks, steep chutes or hits if they are there...thats why I love riding but I am willing to sacrifice some comfort to be an all rounder

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah I have nothing against enduro, I'm actually floored at how far it progressed...I keep looking to snag a frame sooner than later as alot of riding is non lift.... yeah with the current situation prices are insane on alot of bikes right now....
I keep looking and started to get up to speed on geo, frames, travel, etc so I have a baseline when I get one.. gonna have to be semi slack period...and laid back post. Reach I do want something with some real estate...

That is where I think the biggest gains came in, enduro...I went to veil last Sunday to ride and watch some of the set ups....I will get one.

How do you like yours and what do you consider to be the main thing on one? What to look for.
I won't back off rocks, steep chutes or hits if they are there...thats why I love riding but I am willing to sacrifice some comfort to be an all rounder
Size 4 Megatrail. Or gnarvana.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
...and laid back post.
Why's that?

Don't know you, but cool to hear someone getting back into it after time off. Back when you were riding a lot did you ever do long climbs? If so, ever get sore arms from constantly pulling yourself forward all the time? It's sorta worse now with slacker front ends - unless you have a relatively steep seat angle.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Why's that?

Don't know you, but cool to hear someone getting back into it after time off. Back when you were riding a lot did you ever do long climbs? If so, ever get sore arms from constantly pulling yourself forward all the time? It's sorta worse now with slacker front ends - unless you have a relatively steep seat angle.
I don't ride xc, I don't mind pedaling but I want to sit back i have gorilla arms...I prefer a set back position and a few hill wheelies are ok with me...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I don't ride xc, I don't mind pedaling but I want to sit back i have gorilla arms...I prefer a set back position and a few hill wheelies are ok with me...
With the big reach and slack front ends, and dropper posts egging you on to go high af. You'll find it cranking fast seated on flat sections perhaps in the middle of the climb or the most boring section of the decent or a connector that the bike just pushes. Steeper STA feels great in this reguard.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
So the thing is the steeper seat angles go hand in hand with longer reach, for most companies because they try to keep the effective top tube for a given size constant. So your gorilla arms will still feel just fine on bike with steeper seat angle because you've now got like 40mm more reach.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

image0-sm.jpg

That is my current bike. It was the least $$$ spent in 15+ years on a bike. Has a slack HA, LOW BB, 29" wheels and okay Reach at 480mm. I am 6' tall. I paid $1099 for frame and shock from Mikes Bikes in the Bay Area. Geometry over Suspension design like 90% of the time. Also, be nice if the bike had adjustment but few do these days. I would probably do a 130-150mm if you have a DH bike. I saw Travis Robertson run Tunnel Trail on a TAZER at a very fast rate so the 130 trail bike is pretty capable. This is long stroked to 150mm in the back.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Just when I was really starting to like what Scott has done over the last years to their line up, a little birdie tells me that they have bought Bold and we are getting some integrated shocks. The changes will probably affect the more trail and XC oriented bikes, but I'd take accessability over clean looks any time, regardless of bike category.
Yes, I've been eagerly awaiting the next gen Spark but there's a strong rumor that it will have the Bold hidden shock and associated extra weight. That seems really antithetical to what Scott has been doing. They shouldn't have waisted money buying that brand and just kept plugging away at what they're good at.
I'm starting to feel like the bike business is becoming like the auto industry. No one will make what I want anymore because most people want something different. There just isn't a business case in making a product that myself and a few other enthusiasts want.
Hidden shocks and downtube storage for everyone! Weight?!? What are you, from 2005? Get out of here with that "weight" talk.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes, I've been eagerly awaiting the next gen Spark but there's a strong rumor that it will have the Bold hidden shock and associated extra weight. That seems really antithetical to what Scott has been doing. They shouldn't have waisted money buying that brand and just kept plugging away at what they're good at.
I'm starting to feel like the bike business is becoming like the auto industry. No one will make what I want anymore because most people want something different. There just isn't a business case in making a product that myself and a few other enthusiasts want.
Hidden shocks and downtube storage for everyone! Weight?!? What are you, from 2005? Get out of here with that "weight" talk.
hidden shocks = Kill List™

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
i've got one of those shocks in my parts bin. F.
One of the Foxs? I've got the Spark RC and Ransom and both Fox shocks have decent damping and a good spring curve. On the Ransom there's the urge to get something like a Storia for the amazing damping but I'd be adding at least a pound and giving up the ability to increase spring rate and reduce sag for flats and climbs. As of now that enduro bike is also an excellent trail bike and I don't want to give that up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
One of the Foxs? I've got the Spark RC and Ransom and both Fox shocks have decent damping and a good spring curve. On the Ransom there's the urge to get something like a Storia for the amazing damping but I'd be adding at least a pound and giving up the ability to increase spring rate and reduce sag for flats and climbs. As of now that enduro bike is also an excellent trail bike and I don't want to give that up.
nah, the DT Swiss version from 2013 that was the older style with a 3 position travel reduction and almost no damping.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
nah, the DT Swiss version from 2013 that was the older style with a 3 position travel reduction and almost no damping.
Yeah, the DTs sucked and my DT pull shock needed such constant rebuilds that DT gave me second one so one could be on the bike while the other was being repaired. That earlier bike gave me a glimpse of what Scott was trying to do. Then they gave their frames better kinematics and went with the Fox shock and I've been in love ever since.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
View attachment 157329

That is my current bike. It was the least $$$ spent in 15+ years on a bike. Has a slack HA, LOW BB, 29" wheels and okay Reach at 480mm. I am 6' tall. I paid $1099 for frame and shock from Mikes Bikes in the Bay Area. Geometry over Suspension design like 90% of the time. Also, be nice if the bike had adjustment but few do these days. I would probably do a 130-150mm if you have a DH bike. I saw Travis Robertson run Tunnel Trail on a TAZER at a very fast rate so the 130 trail bike is pretty capable. This is long stroked to 150mm in the back.
Yeah 480 reach is good ...(btw thanks for the info and insight)

This industry has taken some steps (dont know if they are forward , backwards or just stepping on themselves)
-what size is that frame?
-With shorter travel do you think air for ramp up or coil? (Bottom out bump definently)
-27.5 vs 29 or ill run mullet (I prefer less rotational mass at rear)

I'm 6'3 and 240lbs now And anything 470+ is a good start for me...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, the DTs sucked and my DT pull shock needed such constant rebuilds that DT gave me second one so one could be on the bike while the other was being repaired. That earlier bike gave me a glimpse of what Scott was trying to do. Then they gave their frames better kinematics and went with the Fox shock and I've been in love ever since.
yea, i have a spark 620. i like the bike, hated the DT shock. i put a DB inline on it along with a travel reduced mattoc and its pretty awesome.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Bullcrew, at 6'3" I'd suggest something with a longer reach than 480. (I'm 6'1" and the 490 reach on my XL megatower is pretty much spot on for me.) Seat angle plays a role as well, but still.

Might be hard right now with the pandemic and all, but you should try to get out and demo some bikes with modern geometry, or maybe borrow something from a buddy.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah 480 reach is good ...(btw thanks for the info and insight)

This industry has taken some steps (dont know if they are forward , backwards or just stepping on themselves)
-what size is that frame?
-With shorter travel do you think air for ramp up or coil? (Bottom out bump definently)
-27.5 vs 29 or ill run mullet (I prefer less rotational mass at rear)

I'm 6'3 and 240lbs now And anything 470+ is a good start for me...
It's a 2020 LG they now no longer make an Aluminum one its Carbon only. They do have the S4 carbon with coil shock "on-sale" for $1999. I just am not sure nailing a 25-30% sag with the coil is as easy with shorter travel longer stroked shocks. The Air gives way more on that end. If I was riding Tunnel every other week I would roll coil......

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm 5'10" (although I have the torso of someone 6'1" and the legs of someone 5'7") and finding 480mm to work really well with a 40mm stem. I'd think at 6'3" you'd be looking more around 500mm.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bullcrew, at 6'3" I'd suggest something with a longer reach than 480. (I'm 6'1" and the 490 reach on my XL megatower is pretty much spot on for me.) Seat angle plays a role as well, but still.

Might be hard right now with the pandemic and all, but you should try to get out and demo some bikes with modern geometry, or maybe borrow something from a buddy.
You are right....
ill have to go get with a group and see who will let me rip around on their bikes...id like to hit sky park with a group so I can jump and rip around....I just got off the horn with cane creek trying to dial the 951 in for jumps and poppy feel....(as.much as can be expected)...it was eating up bigger hits and ass was glued to ground thats what started the whole looking at enduro....

I'll dial it in for mixed use and got a "14" m9 ill use for dedicated dh....but ill look for a newer or new frame for enduro since it will be the majority of rides.....wife likes xc and I pedal the 951 now, I can rip up most nasty stuff...but would be easier with a proper bike....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I'm 5'10" (although I have the torso of someone 6'1" and the legs of someone 5'7") and finding 480mm to work really well with a 40mm stem. I'd think at 6'3" you'd be looking more around 500mm.
Yeah I started to play with stem lengths a little on the bikes...I have a 35mm and a 50mm integrated set ups....one bike is .5" shorter top tube and runs the shorter stem other is longer stem and longer top tube....however I like the m9 with shorter top tube and stem it gets me over front wheel more or center of steering axis....however the other bike I sit back and ride more neutral the longer setup feels better for pulling on bars up hill...

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
roughly the same build here. in the past i was always on layback seatposts, seat slammed all the way back, etc. and looking for a bike with low standover. i'm a big fan of modern geometry. my nomad's reach could be 15-20mm longer and i think i'd be fine with that.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Their P4 is 510 I had a few Guerrilla Gravity's at 490 and they felt good at my height. If you want a badass Aluminum bike just get the Nicolai G13 is short travel 29r at 130mm.....

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
locking out a fork is dumb, it ratchets the front end up on climbs.
rear suspension designs with enough antisquat don't really need a lock out on the shock.
I've never used those fork dampers. The remote just controls the rear.
The thing with anti-aquat is it relies on and varies with chain pull. Pushing the lever to the middle position makes the rear end genuinely feel like a 120mm bike, which no 170 bike with more anti-squat can match. It adds very little weight and has no effect on the open position.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I've never used those fork dampers. The remote just controls the rear.
The thing with anti-aquat is it relies on and varies with chain pull. Pushing the lever to the middle position makes the rear end genuinely feel like a 120mm bike, which no 170 bike with more anti-squat can match. It adds very little weight and has no effect on the open position.
Uhhh but you said twin lock and to me that means front and rear lockout.

I get what your saying about antisquat and it's got an evil twin named kickback that's especially evident if you lock the rear wheel up.

But on my 155mm bike with a good amount of as I never bother with the lockout.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So I'm a genuine suspension dynamics idiot.

Question:
When I switch the shock on my Banshee Rune to the firm pedal position, it actually feels like the thing bobs and pedals worse than in the mid or open position.

What causes that?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

Question:
When I switch the shock on my Banshee Rune to the firm pedal position, it actually feels like the thing bobs and pedals worse than in the mid or open position.

What causes that?
Undamped spring from the tires? I hate riding hardtails and using full lock on my bikes for that reason.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Undamped spring from the tires? I hate riding hardtails and using full lock on my bikes for that reason.
Ahhhh hahaha. i was doing a shakedown ride around the hood on a hardtail i got for the kid recently and was super confused when it felt like it was bouncing all over the place for no reason! i just let some air out of the tires and was planning to try it on the trails tomorrow...made me ❤ my nomad for sure!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Question:

What causes that?
Which shock? On bikes with generous anti-squat numbers I always felt like enabling the "pedal" compression setting on the Fox RP3/CTS instantly turned my rear wheel into a polyhedron. I blame it on the horrible low speed damping circuit, which turned the travel before the SAG point into molten butter, only to hit a wall afterwards. This allowed the suspension to do those micro-bobs which ultimately convinced me to run the shock in the open position.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
But on my 155mm bike with a good amount of as I never bother with the lockout.
Just to be clear, Scott's shock system (which is confusingly named) only adds a little LSC in the short travel position. What it really does is make the air can much smaller so the spring ramps up very quickly. It's the only shock/pedal/helper system that changes the spring instead of just adding a ton of damping.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Just to be clear, Scott's shock system (which is confusingly named) only adds a little LSC in the short travel position. What it really does is make the air can much smaller so the spring ramps up very quickly. It's the only shock/pedal/helper system that changes the spring instead of just adding a ton of damping.
the dt swiss version i have was the 3 position travel adjust shock. there was no damping adjustment. :stosh:

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts

- Hey, let's use the same frame for the Altitude and Instinct, kill the Thunberbolt line and pass along the savings to our customers.
- Nah...let's bleed the hell out of these fuckers.
What in the actual F with those prices. Rocky must be thrilled that they bike they chose to compare it to was $5000 cheaper, and they preferred it to the Instinct.