Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
sheeesh, not all women bleed! you are just ignorant! (i lived way too long in berlin :cray:)
At the same time we were shit talking her we kind of wished she was faster and could make a splash on the national and world level just to see what would happen. This was at least 15 years ago so it would have put MTB DH on the world news to have a former guy dominating World Cups and World Champs in the women's class. I wonder how it would have been dealt with. Unfortunately Mike was a Sport class racer and Michelle wasn't a fast enough woman to make a podium in any race bigger than a MSC.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
no, xennials are a specific group, analogue childhood, digital youth. prototype millenials, born earlier.
Interesting! I never really related to Gen X and I am technically too old by a few years to be a millenial (I am turning 45 next month). I always felt some of the stereotypes from both generation can apply to me (the worst don't, obviously).

I guess Xennial is a better fit for me then... :)

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Interesting! I never really related to Gen X and I am technically too old by a few years to be a millenial (I am turning 45 next month). I always felt some of the stereotypes from both generation can apply to me (the worst don't, obviously).

I guess Xennial is a better fit for me then... :)
We're the lost generation.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It’s not that it is ‘bad’, per se, but for me it’s the cost for a temporary tube that is designed to be run in an emergency.
id be interested if it were a $10 dollar durable valve stem, and not a disposable item.
But good for them for pushing the technology.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
It’s not that it is ‘bad’, per se, but for me it’s the cost for a temporary tube that is designed to be run in an emergency.
id be interested if it were a $10 dollar durable valve stem, and not a disposable item.
But good for them for pushing the technology.
I use and sell Tubolitos as a very light, small tube to carry for emergencies but the company is trying to push them for use instead of tubeless cuz they think it's better I guess.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Zero, actually.
I think the only mechanicals total were a rubbing brake and a broken spoke.
Fairly impressive given the size of the group.
Rear derailleur cable was a lil foobar on one bike during Mag 7 and had to be convinced to stay in gear. But we didn't lose much time to that being corrected.

The rubbing brake was because someone (cough @Full Trucker) had guide pads in his rear Code caliper.

I think if you can drag 10 people though Mag7 and 11 through half an Enchilada and not have any punctures, that shows that this reply should be in the counterpart thread of what's right with bikes.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Rear derailleur cable was a lil foobar on one bike during Mag 7 and had to be convinced to stay in gear. But we didn't lose much time to that being corrected.

The rubbing brake was because someone (cough @Full Trucker) had guide pads in his rear Code caliper.

I think if you can drag 10 people though Mag7 and 11 through half an Enchilada and not have any punctures, that shows that this reply should be in the counterpart thread of what's right with bikes.
Elroy broke a spoke. The trip was a disaster.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Regarding Tubolito... Can these things be reused?

I mean, after you get home and plug or replace your tire, are there any issues with cleaning off the sealant and rolling the thing back up?

I'd only use one as back-up, as I'm sure most of you guys do.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I carry a couple of super light Maxxis butyl tubes that weigh less than 100g a piece on my Enduro bike and Emtb.
They cost £5 each.
If you're carrying super light tubes to get you home you're not going to need any sort of pressure guage as due to their flimsiness you're going to be running them hardAF anyway

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'd love to get a stem with that sensor and be able to pair it with my Wahoo or phone, like TyreWiz, but without the $200 price tag. It'd just be nice when getting ready to ride to be able to see if my pressure is ok, or whether I need to top it up a tad.

I carry a couple of super light Maxxis butyl tubes that weigh less than 100g a piece on my Enduro bike and Emtb.
They cost £5 each.
If you're carrying super light tubes to get you home you're not going to need any sort of pressure guage as due to their flimsiness you're going to be running them hardAF anyway
Um, the tubes don't give a fuck about high pressure, the tires contain that.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
is it really that long since you've used tubes?
and if you cna remember that far back, have you EVAR used a super light one?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I just want rotors that are true out of the box and pads that don't require use inside a cleanroom to avoid "contamination".

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
is it really that long since you've used tubes?
and if you cna remember that far back, have you EVAR used a super light one?
I once gave my skinny 26" tube to a riding buddy who pinch flatted his brand spanking new 27/3.0 plus rear tire.
The result was entertaining. :D

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I use and sell Tubolitos as a very light, small tube to carry for emergencies but the company is trying to push them for use instead of tubeless cuz they think it's better I guess.
How are they? I've been curious to reduce the weight of spares I carry but they only ever compare the Tubolitos to normal XC tubes. Do they compare well to a Freeride tube? They're a bit expensive to get just as a gamble.

They cost £5 each.
I've got those Maxxis Freeride tubes as spares for the enduro. I find the Welterweight or normal tubes are too risky even just for limping back to the car, let alone trying to finish a race.

Um, the tubes don't give a fuck about high pressure, the tires contain that.
If you've just gone from tubeless to a lightweight tube, you can bet your ass you're running it hard to avoid pinches. You've obviously just killed a tubeless tyre so you're riding somewhere rocky and you're out of spares. I'd be running that thing crazy hard and limping back to the car.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just want rotors that are true out of the box and pads that don't require use inside a cleanroom to avoid "contamination".
I got a brand new 203mm Shimano RT86 the other day and it wasn't dead straight out of the box. Not terrible but annoying.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've got those Maxxis Freeride tubes as spares for the enduro. I find the Welterweight or normal tubes are too risky even just for limping back to the car, let alone trying to finish a race.
Not maxxis welterweight. They're almost 200g. I'm talking about maxxis flyweight at around 95g
Never had one not last the rest of the ride but like I said they need to be run at a high pressure.
I generally swap back to (repaired) tubeless the same evening, roll up the tube and stash it back on the bike.
and I carry TWO stashed on each bike anyway. ;)

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Regarding Tubolito... Can these things be reused?

I mean, after you get home and plug or replace your tire, are there any issues with cleaning off the sealant and rolling the thing back up?

I'd only use one as back-up, as I'm sure most of you guys do.
Somebody gave me one on a ride when I had a flat, I went home took it out rinse it off wiped off rolled up and ready to go again

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Somebody gave me one on a ride when I had a flat, I went home took it out rinse it off wiped off rolled up and ready to go again
I've left an emergency tube in a tyre for so long that it became one with the tyre and permanently bonded with latex. When that tube punctured I couldn't get it out to replace it.

Floor Tom

Monkey
Sep 28, 2009
New Zealand
I'd love to get a stem with that sensor and be able to pair it with my Wahoo or phone, like TyreWiz, but without the $200 price tag. It'd just be nice when getting ready to ride to be able to see if my pressure is ok, or whether I need to top it up a tad.
Yeah, if be on board for that, though to be honest it would probably take longer to open the app and check than it would to just fit your pump and check the pressure that way.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I hope you Venmo’d them some cash...
Yeah, the price of these kind of alters the scenario of giving a tube to a stranger. If someone on the trail asked me if I had a tube and I had a Tubolito I'd consider the direness of his situation before answering.
As for how they work, it works perfectly for me cuz it takes up a small section of my hip pack amd barely weighs more than a plug kit. I've never put one in a tire and haven't heard from anyone who has. I've got all my friends and regular customers on Double Down, EXO+, or WTB Tough and flats are pretty rare around here now.