Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
To underail the thread, have you guys noticed there aren't any decent clipless shoes under $80 anymore? Back when I started riding my MTB that was kind of the lower price boundary for high end ones. $80 get you low end, flexible shoes nowadays.

It might be just a couple of pizzas for you landofthefreedumers, but in a third world country $80 buy you something like 20 pizzas.
I dunno man, it looks like you can snag shimano XC1 shoes for $90, which isn't far off from your price. 1000 years ago, I bought a pair of Shimano M-076 and they have held up phenomenally well, even if they are "only" plastic soled shoes. So, you might have to stretch your budget $10.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I dunno man, it looks like you can snag shimano XC1 shoes for $90, which isn't far off from your price. 1000 years ago, I bought a pair of Shimano M-076 and they have held up phenomenally well, even if they are "only" plastic soled shoes. So, you might have to stretch your budget $10.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
There are a bunch of e-bike specific knee pads on the market now. Lizards be loving it.
I've seen "e-bike approved" or "ebike-specific" on shit from grips to seats to tyres. But what in the merry hell could the knee pads be doing differently?

About the only thing I think that could be a real e-bike specific item would be drivetrain components?

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I've seen "e-bike approved" or "ebike-specific" on shit from grips to seats to tyres. But what in the merry hell could the knee pads be doing differently?

About the only thing I think that could be a real e-bike specific item would be drivetrain components?
Extra padding for all time the spend down on their knees.

Admiring their e bikes of course

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Fireproof for when the batteries catch fire.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007

They did the same with "enduro". Grips, seats, tires, stems, bars...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Evidence is against me, I'll have to accept I'm just a cheap bastard :rofl:
I still remember paying 20 Aussie dollars for a Tioga DH tire, the shop owner didn't like that they were going on to an XC bike though. I liked telling him I was going to put a 100mm fork on my 99 Kona Nu-Nu, he said it would ruin the handling and used to get so angry he'd walk away, ahhhhh the old days.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oh fk, those northwaves are so freaking horrible. I have a similar pair that I bought last year as "covid shoes", since it was literally the only model the LBS had in stock. Those little wheels do not "loosen" if you click the little ratchet, you have to hold pressure against the tongue to force the ratchets to loosen and I swear to god these things "wind up" by themselves whenever you let them sit, because there's no way that I would have to loosen them all the way every single goddamn time I put the shoes on, which takes a while since you have to loosen them click by click while holding pressure against the tongue/lace. It's a horrible horrible shoe.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Do they not pull outwards and click/spin freely like boas on other footwear?