Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Do they not pull outwards and click/spin freely like boas on other footwear?
No, they are faux boas. They don't pull out, there's a little lever ratchet on top and they only "let out" one tiny fraction of an inch with each pressing of the lever, and that's only if you are supplying some kind of tension in the shoe, like trying to jam your foot halfway in the too-small shoe. Otherwise it just does nothing. It's shit.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I liked the one where they were jumping/jibbing a car in the middle of a double in the woods and the other one with the big blind step down jump over a massive tree.

I couldn't give a fuck what any of them are called, who's running them or who likes sprinkles on their ice cream or marshmallows in their hot chocolate (Yeeew Euuuckkk BTW).

Just keep ridin yer bikes guys... you're pretty fucking good at it.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oh.. and despite being nothing like one another Nico Vink and Sam Reynolds are both rad AF
Let's hope they're still mates... y'know... in real life ;)

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wat.in.the.unholy.hell. :banghead:

New mounting hardware ordered. Srsly Fox?
That's the preferred option if you can do it on the end of the shock which sees the most rotation. SRAM and Fox both offer it as it's a single "standard" width.

What's the issue?

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
That's the preferred option if you can do it on the end of the shock which sees the most rotation. SRAM and Fox both offer it as it's a single "standard" width.

What's the issue?
To change the spring, you have to remove those gigantic bearing cups. The cups are impossible to remove without a dedicated tool that costs north of $100.

I am switching to a much easier to use roller bearing kit from RWC, and if it fails, to a simple polymer bushing.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
To change the spring, you have to remove those gigantic bearing cups. The cups are impossible to remove without a dedicated tool that costs north of $100.
Pretty much everything Fox make *needs* Fox specific service tools. but in reality there's often an alternative solution.
Those cups are just pressed into the eyelet so should in theory be removable using a blind bearing puller/slide hammer with suitable sized collets.
ie. remove both bearings and the internal spacer first then set the collet so the flared section sits right where the cups join and pull/drift them out individually.
but yeah. Fuck Fox.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Pretty much everything Fox make *needs* Fox specific service tools. but in reality there's often an alternative solution.
Those cups are just pressed into the eyelet so should in theory be removable using a blind bearing puller/slide hammer with suitable sized collets.
ie. remove both bearings and the internal spacer first then set the collet so the flared section sits right where the cups join and pull/drift them out individually.
but yeah. Fuck Fox.
The cups have very thin walls, it is hard to get any purchase with a bearing puller. The fox tool threads in the cups, it is very hard to use anything that was not designed for the job.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fucking manitou, reverse-threaded footnuts, blue rebound knobs, uses a cassette-tool to remove stanchion seal/cap, but you can't use a regular one, you have to hacksaw a quarter of the tool away to make it work. WTF was wrong with snap rings? And if you are going to be using cassette-tool interfaces, why didn't you use them on the top-caps?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Fucking manitou, reverse-threaded footnuts, blue rebound knobs, uses a cassette-tool to remove stanchion seal/cap, but you can't use a regular one, you have to hacksaw a quarter of the tool away to make it work. WTF was wrong with snap rings? And if you are going to be using cassette-tool interfaces, why didn't you use them on the top-caps?
you mean the company that made 'suspension' forks with foam plugs well into the 2000s?

I'm aghast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Edit, they did use the cassette interface on the top-caps, it was just hidden. Luckily, the internals appear mostly quality, but still a PITA to change travel, basically have to take apart the entire fork to ensure the rebound rod doesn't have any spacers on it. But reverse threads...wtf?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Edit, they did use the cassette interface on the top-caps, it was just hidden. Luckily, the internals appear mostly quality, but still a PITA to change travel, basically have to take apart the entire fork to ensure the rebound rod doesn't have any spacers on it. But reverse threads...wtf?
The build quality is good for sure. Some odd design choices sure, but it's fully user serviceable and they put out very good service videos.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Might as well bring in the fact of Manitou originally coloring the rebound knob blue and the compression one red. Fox and Rock Shox later changed it to red/blue respectively.
I think mine was black on the X-vert R. As far back as I can see, Fox was still Red Rebound and Blue Compression. Not sure about the real old stuff like ALPS though.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I hate the industry so much for shunning dual crown forks. A 190mm single crown is always gonna suck, even if they make the bottom of the steerer tube bigger. Then they made sure of it by speccing a 15mm axle. That guy says the stiffness "approaches a dual crown, but without the turning radius limitation." Bullshit. No F'in way you can ride that fork and a Fox 40 back to back and feel like they're in the same league for stiffness and composure. AND THEN the guy who pushed ultra long bikes is worried about turning radius?!?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I hate the industry so much for shunning dual crown forks. A 190mm single crown is always gonna suck, even if they make the bottom of the steerer tube bigger. Then they made sure of it by speccing a 15mm axle. That guy says the stiffness "approaches a dual crown, but without the turning radius limitation." Bullshit. No F'in way you can ride that fork and a Fox 40 back to back and feel like they're in the same league for stiffness and composure. AND THEN the guy who pushed ultra long bikes is worried about turning radius?!?
Someone needs to stab him with a pole about turning radius bullshit.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok, but what if we make the steerer 2.0 and use 43mm stanchions! BOOM, YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING!