Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
in other news, it's fucking pole :rofl:

Guys that knowingly named their company after a dick euphemism, thought they were too damn cool to post geometry numbers because "stuffiscomplikatedidyall", made glue together machined frames that fucking cracked because stress risers no shit sherlock but hey at least way more expensive, and probably something more recent and stupid that I don't even know about.

it's like oakley blades masquerading as pit vipers in bike form

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Edit, they did use the cassette interface on the top-caps, it was just hidden. Luckily, the internals appear mostly quality, but still a PITA to change travel, basically have to take apart the entire fork to ensure the rebound rod doesn't have any spacers on it. But reverse threads...wtf?
To change travel on a Manitou fork you just need to connect a pump to it, which will make the positive and negative chambers communicate, then adjust travel by sliding the lower legs to the desired length of exposed stanchions. Remove the pump.
Done!

Disclaimer: the above does not work if you have already spacers installed and want to increase travel

I am with you about the reverse threat being stupid

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Off topic but in the thread's tune: how long will it be before we learn about a forest fire started by an exploding e-bike battery pack? On top of the ample variation of quality and standards, there's the need to put the fire off with a proper fire extinguisher.

I guess a new market niche has emerged: stronger, bigger bottle cages and hydration backpacks designed to carry proper firefighter tools along with the range extender battery packs.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
oh right

the only guy here actually riding a 40 on a trail bike instead of everyone who thinks they remember what dual crown forks are from their yoof :rofl:
I'll admit that I only run the 40 part time these days, and also have an RXF36 for it.

But yeah, I've pedaled a 40 up more elevation that just about anybody. You can do it, but the weight penalty is real. I've also ridden just about every major modern single crown out there, and none of them are even close to a 40 or modern Boxxer in terms of stiffness. Zeb's the closest. It's not that close.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'll admit that I only run the 40 part time these days, and also have an RXF36 for it.

But yeah, I've pedaled a 40 up more elevation that just about anybody. You can do it, but the weight penalty is real. I've also ridden just about every major modern single crown out there, and none of them are even close to a 40 or modern Boxxer in terms of stiffness. Zeb's the closest. It's not that close.
you think the zeb's stouter than the 38?

I was really hoping no one I trust was going to say that.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Off topic but in the thread's tune: how long will it be before we learn about a forest fire started by an exploding e-bike battery pack? On top of the ample variation of quality and standards, there's the need to put the fire off with a proper fire extinguisher.
among other things, this scares the shit out of me living in the california trees in september.

Two years ago one summer, two of the shitbox cheapo china bikes did in fact catch fire up here. Fortunately they were on pavement in a town on a bike path and not in the woods.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Crown interface with the steerer is pretty thin on the 38 if I recall. Fox really likes to skimp on material there.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

I guess a new market niche has emerged: stronger, bigger bottle cages and hydration backpacks designed to carry proper firefighter tools along with the range extender battery packs.
you just need to carry a water reservoir big enough to submerge the whole battery in it, problem solved

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Yeah, pretty significantly.

I like the 38 better overall, mostly because the Zeb's spring design is a little wonky, and midstroke support isn't great. But it's really stiff.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
It’s a thing.

FB3CFEB1-8491-4245-8ABF-4C3987EDADED.jpeg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sad day. I was at the bike park. Enduro bros outnumbered dh bikes about 2 to 1. I passed a LOT of them. There was one group rolling 8 deep, they all had fanny packs and 2 were wearing capris.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that reminds me. at one point yesterday when i was waiting in the lift line, there was a dude with an ebike. getting on a lift.
I'll do that this season at Trestle if they allow it. One of my online Strava buddies (never met him in person) has done it.