Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I went on PB to look at used endubro™ bikes just for shit and giggles. At one point, seeing how a 2015, mid-pack model got its value skyrocketed, I thought they were the newest bitcoin mining gizmo...
I sold a 5 year old DH bike in 10 minutes on there recently...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I went on PB to look at used endubro™ bikes just for shit and giggles. At one point, seeing how a 2015, mid-pack model got its value skyrocketed, I thought they were the newest bitcoin mining gizmo...
supply / demand. it's almost enough to tempt me to sell my first gen megatrail. almost.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I sold a 5 year old DH bike in 10 minutes on there recently...
HMMMMM say what now?

I sold so much of my old trash recently, but had been hanging on to my DH bike in hopes of being relevant again (DH, the bike, and myself). Maybe it's time to let go for a few years....

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
i started riding DH again this year, despite being 11 years old i'm glad i've kept my DH bike. geometry wise it's not SUPER outdated, just shorter in reach and wheelbase.
I sold it because wife bought me a fancy new mullet DH bike :p

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Everything I've heard is the industry won't be back to normal until winter 22'/23'.
I understand the sudden increase in demand, the impact of COVID on manufacturing for a few months, the issue with containers shortage, but I still can't really understand how the situation got that bad. My LBS told me August 2022 for an XO.1 Eagle Derailleur. This is nuts.

The only thing (that I can think of) that could explain this situation would be a result of wrongly-implemented "Just in Time Manufacturing" that went very wrong industry-wide.

If anybody has a better explanation, I am all ears. I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation for this situation. I suspect there has been a major fuckup in the industry for it to end up in such a bad spot. Are there other industries that are in a comparable (or worse) situation?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I understand the sudden increase in demand, the impact of COVID on manufacturing for a few months, the issue with containers shortage, but I still can't really understand how the situation got that bad. My LBS told me August 2022 for an XO.1 Eagle Derailleur. This is nuts.

The only thing (that I can think of) that could explain this situation would be a result of wrongly-implemented "Just in Time Manufacturing" that went very wrong industry-wide.

If anybody has a better explanation, I am all ears. I have yet to hear a satisfactory explanation for this situation. I suspect there has been a major fuckup in the industry for it to end up in such a bad spot. Are there other industries that are in a comparable (or worse) situation?
there's really not one single factor that caused this, it's that each issue (or failure, depending on how you look at it) in the entire manufacturing / supply chain compounded the issues being experienced both up and down stream. it was kind of a perfect storm of what could go wrong.

-raw material shortages
-decreased manufacturing due to both labor restrictions from covid, as well as actual manufacturing capacity limitations (many ASPAC factories are still hesitant to increase capacity)
-distribution channel restrictions (various reasons)
-increased consumer demand, which drives increased ordering from bike companies.
- additionally, i read somewhere that there are numerous (albeit unnamed) bike companies placing orders with several suppliers and just waiting to see who delivers first (artificial demand inflation)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

I just don't get it. I haven't had any problem finding parts. I have had to look around a bit more, but damn if I can't find whatever I'm looking for. Last year it was hope brakes, this winter one of those mastoodong forks, but a few searches tends to pull up the parts. Supply chains got broken so manufacturers can't get large-scale OEM parts orders from the manufacturers, but the parts are out there for retail IME. There's a lot that can go wrong and totally sideline a production run of a complete bike, like you can't get a derailleur hangar, or pivot bolt, or can't line up the build kits for the specs, which kind of puts a stick in your wheel so to speak for all of your offerings.

I mean, you can wait till august 2022, or just order a damn derailleur off the internetz.

Only 1 left here:

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I just don't get it. I haven't had any problem finding parts. I have had to look around a bit more, but damn if I can't find whatever I'm looking for. Last year it was hope brakes, this winter one of those mastoodong forks, but a few searches tends to pull up the parts. Supply chains got broken so manufacturers can't get large-scale OEM parts orders from the manufacturers, but the parts are out there for retail IME.

aftermarket stuff can still be found but yes you have to look harder, and possibly order oversees. the bigger issue is OEM orders for complete bikes.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
aftermarket stuff can still be found but yes you have to look harder, and possibly order oversees. the bigger issue is OEM orders for complete bikes.
Yes.

I guess I just don't get it because I never buy complete bikes, I always build them, because there's almost no OEM bike that is built exactly how I want. I also tend to have parts on hand that make it more favorable to do it that way.

I do totally get that the supply line for OEM bikes is easily broken. It only takes one thing and a few things really compound matters fast. I just don't get that people won't build up frames anymore. I guess "ain't no one got time for that"...

I know that there are supply chain problems even for frames though, since frames have hardware and parts that most "manufacturers" don't manufacture. But it would seem to be a lot easier to concentrate on solving this at least.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes.

I guess I just don't get it because I never buy complete bikes, I always build them, because there's almost no OEM bike that is built exactly how I want. I also tend to have parts on hand that make it more favorable to do it that way.

I do totally get that the supply line for OEM bikes is easily broken. It only takes one thing and a few things really compound matters fast. I just don't get that people won't build up frames anymore. I guess "ain't no one got time for that"...

I know that there are supply chain problems even for frames though, since frames have hardware and parts that most "manufacturers" don't manufacture. But it would seem to be a lot easier to concentrate on solving this at least.
yea, fewer people are like us and building a frame from the ground up anymore. most people buy completes.

i experienced getting a new bike for my son earlier this year. i started looking in december, and had to rule out a few of my top choices because they simply weren't available on the timeline I needed for my son's bday. i put money down in January for a mid February delivery date. Finally took delivery in March.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I just don't get it. I haven't had any problem finding parts. I have had to look around a bit more, but damn if I can't find whatever I'm looking for. Last year it was hope brakes, this winter one of those mastoodong forks, but a few searches tends to pull up the parts. Supply chains got broken so manufacturers can't get large-scale OEM parts orders from the manufacturers, but the parts are out there for retail IME. There's a lot that can go wrong and totally sideline a production run of a complete bike, like you can't get a derailleur hangar, or pivot bolt, or can't line up the build kits for the specs, which kind of puts a stick in your wheel so to speak for all of your offerings.

I mean, you can wait till august 2022, or just order a damn derailleur off the internetz.

Only 1 left here:

The one on RA Cycles is already gone.

I am in Canada and there are manufacturer restrictions anayway. I didn't check for Colorado Cyclist (I would need to call them for international shipping, according to their website ). I know the XO.1 stuff on JensonUSA can't ship to Canada. This is really annoying. I thought the SRAM restrictions only applied to oversea orders...I always understood Canadians could buy from US retailers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The one on RA Cycles is already gone.

I am in Canada and there are manufacturer restrictions anayway. I didn't check for Colorado Cyclist (I would need to call them for international shipping, according to their website ). I know the XO.1 stuff on JensonUSA can't ship to Canada. This is really annoying. I thought the SRAM restrictions only applied to oversea orders...I always understood Canadians could buy from US retailers.
The RA cycles one looked more sketchy, but I was just trying to put more than one in the post. There still look to be multiple in stock in places, but international can always throw a wrench into things.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The RA cycles one looked more sketchy, but I was just trying to put more than one in the post. There still look to be multiple in stock in places, but international can always throw a wrench into things.
As Flipside said, it is very hard to find any Shimano or Sram parts online.

And majority of online places will no longer ship them to Canada.

Try finding a Sram Eagle chain in stock, in Canada, online...

And dealing with bike shops is a pain right now. Most are too busy or you cannot physically go into them. Hopefully that changes here in Ontario this weekend. But even then, majority of bike shops here don't even stock most items; they just tell you yeah we'll order it and let you know later when it's expected to arrive.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Aluminium bolts,

weight optimized,

in the hands of a ham-fisted home mechanic: myself :bonk:
20210609_162910.jpg

Luckily I had a spare since the previous owner stripped another bolt sold in the same "repair" kit

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
A friend just sent me a video showing the reaction of some people to that Bold Spark unveiling.

I just replied: "It's a Bold. If you liked them, you'll naturally like the Spark. If you didn't like them and now you like the Spark, you're just another Scott fanboi".

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A friend just sent me a video showing the reaction of some people to that Bold Spark unveiling.

I just replied: "It's a Bold. If you liked them, you'll naturally like the Spark. If you didn't like them and now you like the Spark, you're just another Scott fanboi".
Scott owns Bold.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I kinda like the spark.

I don't believe in suspension lockouts, hate cables through the headtube, but I would build with AXS and no dropper so, only a brake line to route so, not bad.

Not that I would be able to buy anyways.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
How many people in the DH forum are looking up the geometry of an XC bike?

Sorry, I forgot this is where people complain about stuff that was never designed for them in the first place.
I am talking about the PB crowd. They are only up in arms about things that the reviewer pointed out, apparently.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a 2013 spark. The twinlok thing was hot garbage, as was the shock. I put a DB air inline on it and dropped my mattoc to 120mm. Pretty fun on my local trails.