Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My 12 speed Shimano shifter have a switch to limit them to 11 speeds.
I believe they discontinued that model.

They are in damage control mode trying to deal with all the failed 12spd XT and XTR shifters.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I believe they discontinued that model.

They are in damage control mode trying to deal with all the failed 12spd XT and XTR shifters.

This is interesting to read to me. I had a very early XTR 12 shifter failure that got warrentied. Its the only high end shimano shifter since way back starting with 8 speed, I've ever had a problem with. I was wondering if it was the 11 speed adjustability that was the issue. Interesting to see the XT shifters have been having problems too. I've been using XO Eagle shifters with both my 12 speed bikes since the XTR failure, but was thinking about trying an XT. Looks like I'll skip that. Thanks for the post.

Your new GG looks nice!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is interesting to read to me. I had a very early XTR 12 shifter failure that got warrentied. Its the only high end shimano shifter since way back starting with 8 speed, I've ever had a problem with. I was wondering if it was the 11 speed adjustability that was the issue. Interesting to see the XT shifters have been having problems too. I've been using XO Eagle shifters with both my 12 speed bikes since the XTR failure, but was thinking about trying an XT. Looks like I'll skip that. Thanks for the post.

Your new GG looks nice!
The return spring failure seems to affect all 12 speed XT and XTR shifters. SLX is a significantly different design and doesn't suffer from it. Additionally, SLX doesn't have that super-heavy uphshift. The double-tap feature is nice, except the additional force they designed into upshifts irritates my thumb after a while and I can never get used to it. I can click off shifts faster with the "single action" SRAM in that regard. These two issues have converted a lot of people over to SRAM, but those looking to not have that super-heavy upshifting are also using SLX shifters (on their XTR and XT drivetrains). Seems like a good option, but I'd imagine finding those parts may be even harder. Lots of people are "on hold" because shimano doesn't seem to have a permanent fix for the spring issue and seems to still be putting out the flawed parts.

But there have been some other pretty big issues with their components, like the scylence hubs (or however they were spelling it). They did electronic wired 11spd shifting and got totally one-upped by SRAM in pretty short order. I think having two big and strong component manufacturers is good for competition and the industry, but Shimano needs to get back to their basics. Maybe new Saint will do that?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
shimano doesn't seem to have a permanent fix for the spring issue and seems to still be putting out the flawed parts.
If their history with brakes is to be taken into account, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a solution.

OTOH, mixing and matching SRAM/Shimano drivetrains have never been easier than with 12 speeds. GX Eagle derailleurs come with play at the pivots as a feature from factory, and Shimano cassettes are a lot easier to shift, so making a frankendrivetrain with a SRAM shifter and chain, and Shimano cassette and derailleur.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Using a Shimano 12 cassette without a Shimano chain is missing the best part of that system, ridiculously easy shifting under load. It’s like a BLT without the bacon.
I have to say, with two complete XTR bikes, both with a few thousand hard miles on them, and I haven’t had a single one of these problems, brakes, shifters, clutches...all work flawlessly. I know I just jinxed myself...

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
No complaints with my xt shifter and derailuer, xtr chain and casette....

I hate shifters without double upshift.
I find sram ergonomics weird.

I suspect the casettes are quite better at not creaking tho being all one piece

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Extremely hard upshifts?

Good to know hand models can also get inept infomercial jobs. As someone with bits of titanium holding my thumbs together and bad arthritis, I have to chuckle when people complain about the upshift force.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Good to know hand models can also get inept infomercial jobs. As someone with bits of titanium holding my thumbs together and bad arthritis, I have to chuckle when people complain about the upshift force.
So you like the arthritis?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
On my XC bike I run a 34t with 29" wheels. I very occassionally use the 10t. Yesterday there were two short sections I did but was far from winding it out. Even with their greater power I'd be surprised if WCers can use a 36x10 on course and I'm sure a 38x10 is useless. Remember back in the day when there were several different tooth options for cassettes? How come if you want to run a modern drivetrain you are forced to buy gearing designed for out of shape people? I just have an aversion to unsprung weight and long derailleur cages so this rubs me the wrong way.
What's right with the industry is last time I checked 11spd XX1 parts were still being produced so it's not the end of the world yet.
:stupid:
It doesn't fix the long cage (i think), but Shimano 12spd is available as a 10-45 11spd option.
but it's a boat anchor.

I see no reason to switch from 11-sp drivetrain. Other than I can't find parts anymore. :butcher:

when I switched to 165mm cranks, I realized a 44t big cog would be handy. OneUp and Wolftooth used to make replacement large cogs for the XO1 and XX1 cassettes, but I've emailed them both, and they are now discontinued. I have the sads.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
:stupid:

but it's a boat anchor.

I see no reason to switch from 11-sp drivetrain. Other than I can't find parts anymore. :butcher:

when I switched to 165mm cranks, I realized a 44t big cog would be handy. OneUp and Wolftooth used to make replacement large cogs for the XO1 and XX1 cassettes, but I've emailed them both, and they are now discontinued. I have the sads.
On that note: does anyone know if anyone else still manufactures replacement cogs for XO1 - XX1 cassettes?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I see no reason to switch from 11-sp drivetrain. Other than I can't find parts anymore
I was running 11spd SRAM shifter and mech with shimano 11-46 cluster and chain on both bikes for the last 4 or 5 years. Super durable and reliable. I do wish they'd kept up development of the 11spd cassettes as that pretty much stopped as soon 12spd hit the market. Shimanos 11-46 has a horrible jump to the 46 cog, and SRAM never went bigger than 42 on the back and I like having a low winching gear for the end of the day.

Now running Eagle on both bikes for simplicity and spares availability, as thats what the new bike came with.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I was running 11spd SRAM shifter and mech with shimano 11-46 cluster and chain on both bikes for the last 4 or 5 years. Super durable and reliable. I do wish they'd kept up development of the 11spd cassettes as that pretty much stopped as soon 12spd hit the market. Shimanos 11-46 has a horrible jump to the 46 cog, and SRAM never went bigger than 42 on the back and I like having a low winching gear for the end of the day.

Now running Eagle on both bikes for simplicity and spares availability, as thats what the new bike came with.
I'm running Shimano shifter and derailleur, SRAM XO1 cassette, KMC chain, Black Spire chainring, and Race Face cranks!

I bought my cassette on close-out from Commençal Canada early last year. I figured I'd get at least 2.5 + 2.5 seasons out of it, given how durable those steel cassettes are, and by replacing the 42t cog when the original wears out. I bought a replacement 42t cog already.

But when I went to the shorter cranks, I started looking for a 44t replacement cog, with no luck. Though the Italian job referenced by @slimshady might just do the trick.

I had also been contemplating a fully new cassette from Garbaruk... I like how light those things are...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What's a size 14 weigh lol

Shit I don't care about clothes weight within reason..buddy rides in hiking boot style shoes...got pics of him throwing massive tricks off jumps and drops... I like cordura shorts and shoes with a leather top that can keep my toes from getting rolled under pedal..and helmet needs to be light BUT not compromise safety that's how I got a TBI and it was a good helmet....

Shoes to me are fine a bit heftier...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Has anyone found there weight on a bike that fits them perfect...

After all the weight weenie stuff I still like a bike lighter in certain areas.
37lb-38lb seems to be my spot for DH...33 to 35 I feel like bike got chucked around to much in rocks..now a freeride DH set up Id go there but not for nasty lines.

12 speed scares.me 11 I question I have broken 9 speed chains and rolled teeth.....10 is as comfortable as I get with my weight and thighs....

Not gonna drop weight for a lighter chain lol...just get bigger quads and work on my gas tank....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I have a 2013 spark. The twinlok thing was hot garbage, as was the shock. I put a DB air inline on it and dropped my mattoc to 120mm. Pretty fun on my local trails.
This...this right here is riding for what it is..why I started and why I fell in love with riding again..just ride..
Upgrade as you progress old or new and go rip trail...

I made the mistake of buying a scale , truing stand, nitrogen tank, clamps and tools to start doing all my own stuff again...find I'm tinkering more than ripping and laughing....I need to just ride and not pre empt a issue that doesn't exist...

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I bought a new handlebar with the same upsweep and backsweep as my older one but with a higher rise and from a different brand. I was hoping to get the same feel with just a touch higher hand position while removing all the spacer below my stem plate (dh fork).
With the new bar almost rolled too far forward, the upsweep feels way too low...

How come does the industry give us numbers that do not fully characterise a product?
How come we, as customers, have accepted it?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I bought a new handlebar with the same upsweep and backsweep as my older one but with a higher rise and from a different brand. I was hoping to get the same feel with just a touch higher hand position while removing all the spacer below my stem plate (dh fork).
With the new bar almost rolled too far forward, the upsweep feels way too low...

How come does the industry give us numbers that do not fully characterise a product?
How come we, as customers, have accepted it?
sounds like you are implying that there should be a NEW bike standard?

1623740031243.png

what next, shoes that fit the same no matter which brand?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

i remember quite vividly a photo home story on him in german freeride magazine, where he proudly showed of his deck literally littered with hundreds of empty beer cans

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Intense REALLY tries to ruin the brand image.
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/intense-announces-951-series-aimed-at-new-mountain-bikers.html

I wonder how the meeting went:
A: Hej, we watered down our image already from making unique bikes out of aluminum right here in the US to a brand that sources carbon frames from China and puts a cool marketing spin on it. How can we improve on that?
B: Let us label some $3700 bikes as aimed for beginners, that will really help show how high-end of a brand we are!
A: Maybe that could have bad effects on our image?
B: Ah, then just let us try to hide it with branding these XC bikes with the label of an old DH bike. The new customers will think they buy a real Intense while the high-end customers do not see it as the real deal and think of us still as a boutique brand. What do you think of 951?
A: Brilliant, let us do it! That will give us the funds to give Aaron a raise if he ever makes it on a podium again.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

i remember quite vividly a photo home story on him in german freeride magazine, where he proudly showed of his deck literally littered with hundreds of empty beer cans
Must have been an old pic, as he's switched to white claw.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/intense-announces-951-series-aimed-at-new-mountain-bikers.html

A: Hej, we watered down our image already from making unique bikes out of aluminum right here in the US to a brand that sources carbon frames from China and puts a cool marketing spin on it. How can we improve on that?
B: Let us label some $3700 bikes as aimed for beginners, that will really help show how high-end of a brand we are!
B: Ah, then just let us try to hide it with branding these XC bikes with the label of an old DH bike. The new customers will think they buy a real Intense while the high-end customers do not see it as the real deal and think of us still as a boutique brand. What do you think of 951?
A: Brilliant, let us do it! That will give us the funds to give Aaron a raise if he ever makes it on a podium again.
I'd say it went a bit more like this:

Sales Mgr: "Hey, we're short on inventory, isn't there something else we can sell?"
Inventory guy: (pokes a few keystrokes) "Hmmm, lemme see... We've got a couple containers full of old, upper-link-driven-shock frames still at the docks, how about if we give'em a lick of fresh paint? Can you come out with some marketing plot to make them palatable?"
Marketing guy: "Hold my VPP..."

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

here, soothe yourself with some old skool 'murican welds
1623764866531.jpeg