Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
We were taught shitloads about Egyptian and North African history. :confused:
And colonial history as well, but I guess that's not what you meant.
The history I was taught in US public schools included absolutely nothing about Africa... with the exception of ancient Egypt.

Your experience sounds better than what was taught in small university town Pennsylvania. Unfortunate your history stopped with the colonial period.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The history I was taught in US public schools included absolutely nothing about Africa... with the exception of ancient Egypt.

Your experience sounds better than what was taught in small university town Pennsylvania. Unfortunate your history stopped with the colonial period.
Well, I grew up and got my education in Yurp :) , in the backwater of the behind-the-curtain imperium. :(

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just realized I haven't replaced fork stanchion seals since something like 2010.

The crowns creak long before the seals give out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

In NY I got a bit of South African History with Apartheid being a hot topic at the time and a bit about the Congo in colonialism, I think largely so the teacher could burn a few days showing us Apocalypse Now as being loosely based off of The Heart Of Darkness. But all of it was based on a European POV and included no pre-colonial history.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I get all of mine from Iron Maiden epic songs. Alexander the Great, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, The Trooper, etc...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I just realized I haven't replaced fork stanchion seals since something like 2010.

The crowns creak long before the seals give out.
I think you posted in the wrong thread, but yes, fork seals seem to last forever now. We've had to get bags of foam rings from Push because Fox only sells their foam rings with seals (Rockshox sells them alone). It used to be that most times a customer asked for a fork service their seals needed replacing. A few years ago we noticed this stopped happening and trying to squeeze and blot the dirt out of foam rings was time consuming and imperfect. Now every oil change gets fresh foam rings ("calamari" my co-worker calls'em) after inspecting the seals.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Speaking of Fox parts, what is a good place to get crush washers?
In stock at least...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I think you posted in the wrong thread, but yes, fork seals seem to last forever now. We've had to get bags of foam rings from Push because Fox only sells their foam rings with seals (Rockshox sells them alone). It used to be that most times a customer asked for a fork service their seals needed replacing. A few years ago we noticed this stopped happening and trying to squeeze and blot the dirt out of foam rings was time consuming and imperfect. Now every oil change gets fresh foam rings ("calamari" my co-worker calls'em) after inspecting the seals.
I think the best way to clean them is to put some paper towels In the vice and squeeze em

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I have a pair of Leatt Velocity 6.5 goggles that died on my last use.
The foam has started to separate from the frame.

Leatt gottles foam 2.jpg

So, I contacted Leatt.
Stated very clearly that they are over a year old, out of warranty and I received them as a gift, have no idea where they were bought and therefore do not have a receipt. I am NOT looking for warranty but for a bit of technical help as to what adhesive to use to re-stick the foam (which is in good shape, no tears etc) to the frame. The original is a double sided film. I know that there is a replacement part available, but it is not in stock anywhere that I can access with no ETA.

Original response was to pass me off to the Canadian distro for warranty, even though all I want is some advise. He did let me know that they do have a spare part - a base frame with attached foam. :doh:

Canadian rep gets back to me and basically goes through the speal.
Product has a one year warranty.
I need my receipt and to contact the vendor where the item was purchased.
Item needs to be sent to the vendor, who will then forward it to Leatt, and work with Leatt on my warranty submission.

FFS :banghead:

Do these assholes ever actually read what is in the original fucking e-mail?

So I sent a reply, clearly stating in bold italics that I am not looking for warranty, I know they are out of warranty. I know there is a replacement part "available" but it actually is not in stock anywhere. I will get a replacement part when it is available, but in the interim I need a possible solution. I sent a list of what I have in the shop for adhesives and asked what would be the appropriate choice (if any). Then asked if they can not answer my question, to put me in contact with somebody who can.

What are my chances of an answer that I can use?
My guess is not that great.

What I have in teh shopz.

Polyurethane ( ie shoo goo )
Gorilla glue. Regular and Clear.
PVA glue.
Carpenters glue
3M 77 spray glue.
Wellbond.
Super glue.
RTV Silicone.
Rubber cement.
Contact cement.
Silicone adhesive.
And some poly construction adhesive.

So, :monkey:'s What would you try?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

View attachment 162168

So, I contacted Leatt.
Stated very clearly that they are over a year old, out of warranty and I received them as a gift, have no idea where they were bought and therefore do not have a receipt. I am NOT looking for warranty but for a bit of technical help as to what adhesive to use to re-stick the foam (which is in good shape, no tears etc) to the frame. The original is a double sided film. I know that there is a replacement part available, but it is not in stock anywhere that I can access with no ETA.

Original response was to pass me off to the Canadian distro for warranty, even though all I want is some advise. He did let me know that they do have a spare part - a base frame with attached foam. :doh:

Item needs to be sent to the vendor, who will then forward it to Leatt, and work with Leatt on my warranty submission.

So I sent a reply, clearly stating in bold italics that I am not looking for warranty, I know they are out of warranty. I know there is a replacement part "available" but it actually is not in stock anywhere. I will get a replacement part when it is available, but in the interim I need a possible solution. I sent a list of what I have in the shop for adhesives and asked what would be the appropriate choice (if any). Then asked if they can not answer my question, to put me in contact with somebody who can.

PVA glue.
Carpenters glue
3M 77 spray glue.
Wellbond.
Super glue.
RTV Silicone.
Rubber cement.
Contact cement.
Silicone adhesive.

Leatt is one of the most pain in the ass companies to deal with. Fuck them. I had to get some replacement velcro straps for my moto knee braces (a wear item) You can't imagine how difficult that was to accomplish....

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
In stock at least...

TY, ordered some but they sure are expensive as fuck. :dead:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

View attachment 162168

So, I contacted Leatt.

PVA glue.
Carpenters glue
3M 77 spray glue.
Wellbond.
Super glue.
RTV Silicone.
Rubber cement.
Contact cement.
Silicone adhesive.

That is balls.

The problem is that they probably don't actually know what the adhesive is. They most likely either rebranded already existing goggles that are made in a factory in Asia or sent a factory their requirement to a designer/factory and now you have these. And they have no idea what it actually is.

I'm sure they'd rather you just toss them in the trash and wait for a new pair to show up in two weeks*.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia

PVA glue.
Carpenters glue
3M 77 spray glue.
Wellbond.
Super glue.
RTV Silicone.
Rubber cement.
Contact cement.
Silicone adhesive.

Good timing on this question. I have a pair of Smith goggles that just did the same but between layers of the foam (multi-layered for some reason). I was gonna try Super glue but worried it will just dissolve the foam. Will try that weatherstrip adhesive that @englertracing recommended.

Side note - it has always pissed me off that the optics mafia/illuminati/lizards have made sunglasses and goggles so damn expensive. If you look at the materials and production methods involved they'd have to be the most over-inflated and profitable products outside of the medical industry. It is a farce how much we pay for what we get.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Side note - it has always pissed me off that the optics mafia/illuminati/lizards have made sunglasses and goggles so damn expensive. If you look at the materials and production methods involved they'd have to be the most over-inflated and profitable products outside of the medical industry. It is a farce how much we pay for what we get.
That's true for the expensive stuff, but I've always just purchased cheap goggles from the local motorsports store.

Last pair was a nice set of clear smith goggles for like $40.

Can't buy replacements or anything for them, but at least you aren't tossing out $100+ when something stupid happens to them.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
There are 2 sizes for all the forks they have ever made.
Word. He thought they were talking about Rockshox.

-You need a crush washer for a Pike?

What model?

Is it the old Pike, the older Pike or the newer Pike?
They all use a different washer.

Ohhhhh, THAT Pike.

Yeah, we don't make those any more. It was a special one-off product released only that year...

What's that? Yes, I'm aware it's for a 2020 Pike sir, but we don't make that part anymore.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
That's true for the expensive stuff, but I've always just purchased cheap goggles from the local motorsports store.

Last pair was a nice set of clear smith goggles for like $40.

Can't buy replacements or anything for them, but at least you aren't tossing out $100+ when something stupid happens to them.
Thor Hero and Enemy goggles were great. I think they stopped making them, but they were $25, single lens, and lasted 5 years each. The replacement lenses were $6. They made a clear blue lens that was great for transferring between the open sun and into the trees.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
Good timing on this question. I have a pair of Smith goggles that just did the same but between layers of the foam (multi-layered for some reason). I was gonna try Super glue but worried it will just dissolve the foam. Will try that weatherstrip adhesive that @englertracing recommended.

Oh man you have no idea the margin on sunglasses. One manufacturer sent me the packing/ picking slip for a photo shoot once by accident. $2-4 per pair was their landed cost, all the glasses retailed for $250-400. Absurd mark up, that pays for all the marketing and advertising

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
What the Luxottica group has done to glasses prices has really fucked the whole industry. Oakley in particular got fucked by luxottica and their questionable practices

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Oakley at least throws in some mumbo jumbo for their iterations of kraton, grilamid and polycarbonate. Most other brands just state their frames are made of grilamid as if it was a brand new, miraculous material, just created on the ISS 20 minutes ago. The same applies to polycarbonate lenses and silicone rubber inserts.

The thruth is outside some novel lens tinting/etching, there hasn't been any relevant innovation in the sunglasses/goggles field in the past 15 years. The ROI time of every single "breakthrough" in the recreational optics market has happened what? 10 years ago? They are still milking the cow and some folk like to justify their need of instant gratification by still believing their purchase of today will help fund the innovation of tomorrow*.

What the Luxottica group has done to glasses prices has really fucked the whole industry. Oakley in particular got fucked by luxottica and their questionable practices
Ray Ban (another Luxottica brand) has been also steadily but surely lowering their quality. I've been on Wayfarers (both the original and the sequels) for over 20 years, and there are minute changes in the hinges, screws, and other stuff which lead to a shorter life for the newer generations. And their prices have never gone down.

* Same applies to bike suspension products. I get it, it's a minuscule market when compared to moto or auto, but judging from the number of players in it today, it's still a helluva profitable one. And again, the technology is the same one we had 20 years ago. Kashima's shine has faded, some seals have improved their friction and not much more. But we still see increasing prices all around, mainly because the consumer has a bias towards a more expensive product as an instant synonim of quality.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hmm…

they can fuck right off with that shit

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm kind of surprised by that - the Radek's must have got a nice payout.

PinkBike is the mountain bike site in the english world, from what I can tell. With all the original content and coverage they've put out over the last year or two, it didn't really seem like they needed to be under the umbrella of something else or more budget.

For all the criticism they get sometimes, I hope PB keeps doing what they are doing - original content, decent race coverage, field tests and whatnot. and of course the shitshow of comments on some articles. Oh yeah and the buysell.

Maybe Outside will banish the word downcountry?